Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Sorento EX, purchased new, as of Jan 2016 - 122k miles; 2013 Mazda2 is my everyday car, 40 mpg
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Sorento, bought new, is at 103k, I've been doing all the things the service schedule says to to at 100k - replace tranny fluid, differential fluid, radiator fluid, etc. The schedule says I should have inspected (I) the timing belt at 90k. I had a dealer do the 60k service at 54k miles and just checked it and they did replace the timing belt then. Should I really take off the cover and inspect the timing belt and look for what - any looseness or fraying/wear & tear I guess? Or since I had it replaced at 54k miles should I be good for awhile? :puzzled:

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Apparently "inspection" of the timing belt isn't hepful unless it's really shot to pieces. I had a look at the belt from one car that had been changed at 100k (10 years) and it looked almost as good as new.

Dealer probably changed your belt at 54k because of time rather than mileage, so it should be good for a while, but there's no guarantee. I'm firmly of the opinion that synthetic belts are a cunning scheme to lock you into dealer service schedules. Also increases vehicles turnover, because lots of people trade-up around belt-time rather than pay for the maintenance.

·
Registered
2003 Sorento EX, purchased new, as of Jan 2016 - 122k miles; 2013 Mazda2 is my everyday car, 40 mpg
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Apparently "inspection" of the timing belt isn't hepful unless it's really shot to pieces. I had a look at the belt from one car that had been changed at 100k (10 years) and it looked almost as good as new.

Dealer probably changed your belt at 54k because of time rather than mileage, so it should be good for a while, but there's no guarantee. I'm firmly of the opinion that synthetic belts are a cunning scheme to lock you into dealer service schedules. Also increases vehicles turnover, because lots of people trade-up around belt-time rather than pay for the maintenance.
Thanks for the reply. Well, I told the dealer that I wanted the "60K Maintenance Service", and replace the timing belt is listed for 60k. Also had all fluids replaced, and spark plugs replaced. I had it done then because I took it in for a Check Engine light that stayed on, that turned out to be the air intake filter for the pressurized fuel system was clogged with dust, they replaced that as well. The bill was over $1,000, so I haven't gone near the dealer since. :lol:

That was Feb. 2007, I bought the car new in May 2003, so 4 years/54k miles use for that service. I don't drive as much as I used to have to, so have only put less than 50k miles on it in the 5 years since. I was just worried as a friend who is a diesel mechanic warned me you can have severe engine damage if the timing belt breaks, bent valves, etc. I'm inclined to wait until at least 120k miles before replacing the timing belt again, that should be 2 years. Going to tackle replacing the spark plugs next weekend, they have almost 50k miles on them and fuel consumption is down to 18mpg, I was getting 24 mpg after I had them replaced in 2007. I'm Mr. Handyman when it comes to fixing things around the house, but I have to admit working on cars is about my least favorite thing.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Yes, dealer pricing can be a shocker. Had my Mazda serviced every 6 months until it was 5 years old; next service booked was going to be $500+, so I waved them goodbye and just changed the oil/filter every 12 months and did other necessary stuff for the past 4 years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts