Kia Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I also tend to basically ignore the trip comp. except as a point of reference. What ever it shows I just reduce by ≈5% and it's generally close enough. On our trip south last week with my wife driving at 70-75 it climbed to 28+! So my guess there would have been (even considering a worse case +10%) something in the mid 25s to low - mid 26s.

As I seem to recall you stated somewhere earlier, not bad mpg for a 4000+ lb v6 290hp vehicle and with AWD no less!

·
Registered
16 Posts
So we've had our Sorento LX 2.4L V4 for almost 3 weeks now. For the first 2.5 weeks in New York City the gas mileage was showing 12.8 mpg. Then we went on a road trip and put maybe 6 gallons in along the way and drove off. After 5 miles all of a sudden the mpg jumped to 31.2 and after the next 60 miles it was 26 mpg

So I wouldn't put too much stock into that number on the screen. The only reliable way is to keep track of gallons in the tank and miles between gas stations

·
Registered
112 Posts
Last week, w/4.5k + total miles driven, I recorded our worst mpg yet. 18.6 mpg in 320+ miles with about 75-80% city driving and a few trips pulling a small trailer! And, too be fair, I did deliberately pack this tank, something I don't ordinarily do, just to try and get an idea of absolute worse case. Hopefully I found it! So far our low to high range is 18.6 for city to 25.3 for highway. Overall average for 4500+ miles is 21.8 weighted slightly more toward highway mileage.

The trip comp. for this tank was off by about 9% but again I packed it. My trip comp., over all fill ups, seems to run about 3-4% high, so what ever the trip comp. says, I just reduce it by 5% and its close enough.

:D

·
Registered
277 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the diesel may make it to US ? No ?
AFter spending a month in Europe, I'm kind of the impression that automotive diesels may be dead. Italy banning them in two years, France trying to greatly increase the tax on diesel, London banning all ICE within the city in a few years. Several other European cities phasing them out over time. Part of the popularity in Europe is that diesel fuel has always remained cheaper than gasoline, unlike the US where the differential between the two grows almost daily.

·
Registered
9 Posts
AFter spending a month in Europe, I'm kind of the impression that automotive diesels may be dead. Italy banning them in two years, France trying to greatly increase the tax on diesel, London banning all ICE within the city in a few years. Several other European cities phasing them out over time. Part of the popularity in Europe is that diesel fuel has always remained cheaper than gasoline, unlike the US where the differential between the two grows almost daily.
Another fact for petrol being less popular is that very often the European travel long distance, petrol cars are less economical and they may end up with a lot of visit to gas station, which they don't like.

Here in Asia, the electrification is rather hit-and-miss affairs. Hot weather with stop-go kind of traffic means the hybrid batteries are subject to too much heat and will fail immaturely. I used to own a Audi A6 hybrid (not plug in) for 5 years before my Sorento diesel, had some horror experience with it. Just sold the Audi in super low resale value to move on with my life ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm now getting 23 mpg city and 28-29 mpg 1/4 city, 3/4 highway. Of course I am quoting Kia computer figures, but even if they are increased (faked) 5% by Kia to look good, I'm still very happy with those numbers.
Edit - I use Eco mode and drive 65 on highway.

·
Registered
242 Posts
After six months, actual fuelio log, I'm getting between 18 and 19 each fill up, 90% city.

·
Registered
19 Posts
which motor setting are you using?

I use the SMART version. My AWD V-6 seems to get about 17 mpg city. Seen 25 mpg highway. I was able to get better with the ECO setting. But I don't like the way it operates around town on that setting. We only use ECO on the highway if the SMART doesn't put it there for me.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I got an indicated 31 mpg on a 250 mile trip a fee weeks ago according to the lie o meter. In reality it was probably closer to 29 mpg but still really good considering like 75 miles of that was at 80 mph and I was in like 15 min of stop and go traffic.

The pic sucks as something was on my lens.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
After six months, actual fuelio log, I'm getting between 18 and 19 each fill up, 90% city.
I've seen as high as 29 on the dashboard during highway, and highest actual long interstate trip mileage was 28.

Run in 'comfort' mode since the other modes are just too irritating (lugging or holding 3rd too long or never going into 8) - comfort should be labeled 'normal'.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
21 Participants
chuckwalla
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing