Kia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I fill up my tires in my garage. Since tire pressure goes down about 1 psi for every 10° in air temperature, I over fill them in the winter to account for the rough difference between my garage temp and the outside temp. So if it is about 60° in my garage and about 40° outside, I add an extra 2 psi.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the suggestion on the air - will definitely check tomorrow now that we're done to 15 in the tri-state.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm driving a 2019 EX. I almost always drive in comfort mode and I'm getting approx 19mpg local and about 25mpg highway. Local being a typical suburban neighborhood about 30 miles north of NYC. What it's rated to give is pretty close to the actual mileage I get.

·
Registered
239 Posts
We put about 1000 miles on the 2019 over the Thanksgiving holiday. It was mostly highway with a mix of bumper to bumper traffic and some "around town" driving at our destination. We averaged a little over 26mpg. That's with two adults, two kids, snow tires, and the back packed with luggage and gifts. So I'm pretty pleased with the fuel economy. We've got a whopping 1300 miles on it now. :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
We put about 1000 miles on the 2019 over the Thanksgiving holiday. It was mostly highway with a mix of bumper to bumper traffic and some "around town" driving at our destination. We averaged a little over 26mpg. That's with two adults, two kids, snow tires, and the back packed with luggage and gifts. So I'm pretty pleased with the fuel economy. We've got a whopping 1300 miles on it now. :)
That's excellent. I have never seen 26MPG on a full tank of gas. At least on the 2016. Only have around 1K on the 2019

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm close to 2,500 miles and today did a 10 mile run down the freeway, then the long way home on city streets.
Reset the trip mpg computer before leaving and it shows 24.6 mpg for the round trip. Even if that is two or three mpg too high I'm impressed. And the mileage is still getting better, much better than a couple months ago when the car was new.

This is carrying a full fuel tank and 36 cold psi all around.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like he is equating the speed at which the needle moves to fuel mileage. The tank on the Sorento is pathetic and agreed the needle moves way too quick. However, we get great mileage with out 19 SXL 2WD. Hit 30MPG consistently on a road trip to TN.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So, we just returned from a 1200+ mi round trip run to central FL's east coast using primarily I75 & FL St. Turnpike. Our overall mpg ave. was 24.4 mpg, 25.1 down & 23.8 back up, not great but not exactly bad either! And, for what ever reason, on the first tank coming back up we managed only a dismal 22.9. I suspect it was primarily because of a fairly good headwind most of the way + rain, etc. However, I should also note that our speed both down and back up was 75-80 as much as possible, and that certainly doesn't help mpg. But anybody who's ever driven I75 through southern GA & FL knows it's virtually impossible to keep to the 70mph speed limit as you'll likely find yourself bored to tears or have semis crawling up your tail, so it's just easier go with the flow!

In any case, coming from a 2003 4.7L V8 AWD Durango that on its best day could barely see 17-18 on that trip, I'm a happy camper. But damn I miss the sound of that V8!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 2019 EX-V6 with 5k miles on it here in Raleigh, NC. We've made 3 trips to Appalachian State University which is all highway (8, then 4 lane). On those trips, we've averaged about 30mpg fill up to fill up (ignoring the computer). Around town, we average about 19.5mpg, and in mixed driving (I commute to downtown Raleigh 3 days a week), it's usually around 23mpg. On our trips down to the folks' place in Wilmington, we'll average about 26 - 27mpg. Mostly flat highway, but some heavy stop-n-go traffic getting out of Raleigh.

I wanna say our mileage improved some after about 1500 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
dyoung - Which driving mode did you use for those mileage figures and what model (FWD or AWD) do you have? You don't show it in your profile.
Sorry about that. I mostly use Smart drive mode. Ours is the 2WD model. They didn't have any AWD models on the lot when we purchased ours back in July, and we weren't in a position to wait for one to arrive. :/

·
Registered
305 Posts
Not sure how anyone can accurately compute MPG on 3/8 of a tank of gas. You've got to use at least 3/4 tank, refill at the same station/pump, don't force any additional fuel after initial click off and then calculate over 5-6 fillups and you'll start to get close. Gas gauges are not always completely linear and aren't calibrated against anything like an actual flow meter. Our V6 has been getting consistent 19.5mpg around town, 26+ on the highway <70mph, 23ish at over 70mph. I gave up on the dream-o-meter calculation because it's designed to make you feel good about your purchase, not to measure actual MPG - funny that I can't find anywhere here where the fuel meter is reading low - it's always optimistic by 5-10%.

·
Registered
239 Posts
That's trip computer logic is from the pre mpg lawsuit days against Hyundai and Kia
I didn't find mine to be off by much. The figures I posted were based on calculating actual gallons used and miles driven. The results were within a few tenths of a mpg of what the computer had calculated. Not perfect, but "close enough" for me.

Cheers!

·
Registered
828 Posts
If you drive continuously then the indicated mpg is pretty close. But if you are calculating over mutliple days and multiple trips the computer reads consistently 2.8-3.1 mpg more.

·
Registered
776 Posts
If you drive continuously then the indicated mpg is pretty close. But if you are calculating over mutliple days and multiple trips the computer reads consistently 2.8-3.1 mpg more.
That does not appear to be the case on the 2019. It reads within 1 MPG for me. Based on fillup calculations.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That does not appear to be the case on the 2019. It reads within 1 MPG for me. Based on fillup calculations.
Have to agree with 1, maybe 1.5, but so far always over. Over 15 fill ups I've seen the trip comp. show from 0% to +10% difference, average is right at 3.5% over actual which is a little better than I would have guessed.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Have to agree with 1, maybe 1.5, but so far always over. Over 15 fill ups I've seen the trip comp. show from 0% to +10% difference, average is right at 3.5% over actual which is a little better than I would have guessed.
I don't pay attention to the trip computer. It seems way off.
The master MPG meter has been from dead on to +1MPG for me.

·
Registered
563 Posts
15 MPG isn't really that bad for true stop and go driving, especially if the trips are fairly short and the temperatures are cold. That is what mine tends to get this time of year for city driving. Now on the highway it will do 26 mpg or even 27 (and even higher on the lie o meter).

21 - 40 of 54 Posts