Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

New to the forum. Just bought a new 2019 SXL after tons of research and chose it over the Lexus, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, and Buick. Love the vehicle so far. I've only driven 40 miles locally and have lost 3/8 of a tank already which is unbelievably poor to me. The info on the dash (I reset after driving the first 25 miles) is not moving over 15...I'm doing all local driving (not start/stop either just local roads doing 35/40). Driving in Comfort mode. No A/C on. Not towing or having heavy loads.

I know it's early in my ownership. I called the dealer and they told me the computer takes a few fillups to build a baseline to report accurate average MPG. Make sense, but I went the the computer only after the fuel gauge dropped so quickly. So, not worried about the computer, but more about how much fuel I've burned since with only 40 miles driven. With 5/8 of a tank left - vehicle says 220 till empty.

Does anyone attribute this to it just being a new vehicle? Couldn't find anything on the internet with gas mileage being a big problem with the Sorentos.

·
Registered
63 Posts
For my 2018 v6, on a full tank, I'll get about 450km. Most of it is highway driving, but in heavy Toronto 401 traffic both ways.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I2iceman - that seems low too, don't you think? Assuming an 18.8 gallon gas tank, 450km is 24 km per gallon or converting to gallons is 15 miles per gallon. Supposed to get 19/24. Forgot to mention mine is AWD.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I2iceman - that seems low too, don't you think? Assuming an 18.8 gallon gas tank, 450km is 24 km per gallon or converting to gallons is 15 miles per gallon. Supposed to get 19/24. Forgot to mention mine is AWD.
Well I don't drive it down to the wire, so going by 18.8 gallon tank isn't accurate unless you drive from Full until the car dies (even once the light comes on you still have quite a bit to go).

I'm thinking I should get another 50 to 100 km.
The main drive is in heavy traffic, so with that considered, I think I'm probably in line haha

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
720 Posts
I was about to post on this subject.
My 2016 SX got no better than 16 in combined driving. The MPG readout was always around 2 MPG high,
My 2019 EX V6 got 15.7 on the prior fillup, the meter was spot on.

Filled up tonight, the actual computed MPG was 18.8, the meter read 19.8
So I think they have improved the calculations! Very happy about that, 1 MPG differential is well within accepted parameters.

I have around 900 miles on the car. Since the last fillup I pumped out the original oil and put in Mobil One full synthetic. I know I am making this up, but the acceleration and MPG are better!
The dealer says they use syn blend on the free oil changes, no one knows what the factory uses, but I would bet it is not synthetic.
Since the filter is now underneath, I will have to bring it in for oil changes, but then I will do the same thing - use my vacuum pump to remove the blend and install Mobil One. Much happier with it.

I think between the Mobil One and the 8 speed tranny, the MPG has improved significantly. This is in NY Thanksgiving time traffic, plenty of it. Some highway, lots of stop and go. I keep it in COMFORT mode.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It does seem a little thirsty but I'd suggest giving it a tank or two and maybe a road trip and see what it does. After all it is new!

I can tell you that 3 months & 3400+ miles in, my 19 EX AWD is about right on the mpg money, 18-20 city, 22 combined & 24-25 highway. In fact, we just completed a 600+ mi run south on highways & I75 through GA & FL and averaged 24.9 & 25.3 @ 70-80 mph (depended on traffic & driver!). It'll be interesting to see what it does going back north cause you know we'll be going up hill!😜😜

And, I should note that all my mpg numbers are "real world" mileage (i.e., # of miles/# of gallons) not trip comp. calculations. In fact, over all fill ups I've found the trip comp. to read any where from 0 to 10% high, so I'd say it averages about 5% high.

Anyway, good luck & hope everyone has happy thanksgiving!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Did you disregard the computer and check the mileage after filling up, then after filling up again (figuring for the gallons replaced)? That would give you a check on the computer as well. You might do this a few times to account for the extra filled in your tank after the first click/shut-off of the pump.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Not surprised, new vehicle engine break in, drivetrain break in, tire …, you get it. Also winter fuel blend is really hard on fuel economy.
Frankly, the Sorento V6 in top trims are not known for their good fuel economy, everything else makes up for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scosgt - appreciate the detailed reply. I guess nearly 19 combined is 5 off from the rated, so, geez, not that great! Ultimately, I guess that's not horrible but a lot below what I thought I was going to get! Anyway, car's going to be driven mostly by wife locally so I suspect I'll be more like in the 15 range...maybe less :( Good tip on the Synthetic oil - seems liked you dumped the original oil right after your purchase.

GeorgiaBoy - thanks for sharing southern numbers! Good to hear your getting decent numbers - hopefully it will do much better on the highway - haven't take it out highway. My niece is at UGA - great area!

Agree I need to give it a few tanks, but was just pretty alarmed it burned 3/8 of a tank going just a few miles. I haven't yet had a fill up and I haven't really been paying that much attention to the computer MPG. It drives amazing and, as far as I can tell, there's nothing sounding wrong with the engine - it's quiet as hell.

Happy Thanksgiving

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just drove our 2019 SX AWD from Virginia to CT and had actual mileage of 26.5mpg on the highway with a few bouts of bumper to bumper traffic. Around town, we were seeing 20-21mpg. It's only got 800 miles on it now.

Edit: Also, that's with winter tires! I bought an extra set of rims with Pirelli Scorpion snow tires and put them on at about 200 miles on the clock. Also, when I get back to VA in a few days, I plan to dump the factory oil and refill with Mobil1 synthetic oil.

Cheers!

·
Registered
139 Posts
15 MPG city is not totally unrealistic with the V-6. I drove my parents' 2014 Sorento LX V-6 for over a year and it averaged in the mid- to high-teens in city driving, and I am pretty easy going. It would jump up to 26-28 MPG on flat interstate. Cold weather really dropped the MPG too. Has it been cold by you?

Another thing to consider - you mentioned you drive 35-40 MPH a lot. There's a good chance you are still in 4th or 5th gear and not even getting into 6th at that speed. Next time you are driving 35-40, pull your shifter over to manual and look on the dash to see what gear you are in. Driving around in 4th or 5th gear is not going to get you max MPG. I found the max MPG on our Sorento was at 55MPH, where we averaged within spitting distance of 30 MPG.

In the end, you have to remember it's a 4,000-pound SUV with a ~300HP V-6. It's not going to be a Prius.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Another thing to consider - you mentioned you drive 35-40 MPH a lot. There's a good chance you are still in 4th or 5th gear and not even getting into 6th at that speed.
He has the 2019 with the 8-speed. Definitely not getting anywhere near 8th at those speeds, 4th and 5th is my guess.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I felt very disappointed with the MPG's and lack of power from my Sorento at first. But all that changed at about 1200 miles. Way better gas mileage. I'm at about 3,000 miles now and I've noticed significantly more power the last couple of months. A few months back we took a trip up north on highway and local roads where the speed limits maxed out at about 50 mph. The computer mileage after that trip was 31.1 mpg. I know the computer reads high, though still very impressed. Interestingly, when I drive on highways at 80 mph I get about 26 mpg. When I drive at around 50-60 mph I get 31 mpg's (computer readout).

Around town mpg's improved also, (I don't remember how much exactly).

Give it time, everything will get better.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I felt very disappointed with the MPG's and lack of power from my Sorento at first. But all that changed at about 1200 miles. Way better gas mileage. I'm at about 3,000 miles now and I've noticed significantly more power the last couple of months. A few months back we took a trip up north on highway and local roads where the speed limits maxed out at about 55-60 mph. The computer mileage after that trip was 31.1 mpg. I know the computer reads high, though still very impressed. Interestingly, when I drive on highways at 80 mph I get about 25 mpg. When I drive at around 50-60 mph I get 31 mpg's (computer readout).

Around town mpg's improved also, (I don't remember how much exactly).

Give it time, everything will get better.
I've had the same experience.
All is well, but I was really puzzled by the initial low mileage numbers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the reassuring replies John/Steve. Only have driven about 4 dozen miles since I picked it up Tuesday and after burn of 3/8 of a tank I was shocked.

Pnoman - not overly cold in NJ yet - today's cold at 25 and understand weather can make a difference. At the end of the day, I won't complain if it gets 15 City - but in the few dozen miles I have, it wasn't even that!

·
Registered
33 Posts
In my 2018 Sorento V6 I get just over 500 km per full tank , combined driving , downtown Toronto

·
Registered
146 Posts
skillset - When I was in NJ a few years ago I was getting lower mileage in the cold weather and thought the gas pumps might have been "malfunctioning". I called Dept of Weights & Measures and they said something like in the winter the tank fills up with less gas so it seems like your mileage would go down as someone else here had written (also the wind resistance of the heavier air slowing down the car).

·
Registered
112 Posts
He has the 2019 with the 8-speed. Definitely not getting anywhere near 8th at those speeds, 4th and 5th is my guess.
Probably not in 8th at 35-40 but it could be in a higher gear than you think! Trust me, I've seen 8th at 45 on level road even in SMART mode! 45 comes up at about 1200 rpm in 8th. Somewhere just above 40 it drops back to 7th and rpm ticks up a little, maybe a 100 or so. I've never bothered to look below that speed but can I tell you that even in SMART mode, it seems like its looking to get into the highest it can as soon as possible. Just FYI.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Make your tire pressure 35 in the winter (cold pressure). They always lose some PSI when it gets cold out. I filled the tires a few weeks ago when I got the car, they were down to 31 today. I out them back up to 35. The manual says it is OK to go a few pounds over the 34 recommended in cold season.
And 4 PSI can make a difference in MPG, IMHO

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
21 Participants
chuckwalla
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing