Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked for a post about this but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I go about replacing the alternator belt, AC belt and the power steering belt on a 98 Sportage.

Thank you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Okay my friend, you need to loosen the alternator, it has two screws one on the top as you face the alternator and the second is on the back you need a 12mm rench. Then you need to loosen the AC screw which this is very hard to get, you need to lift you car in order to have a good working environment it is better to work from the bottom of the car for this one. For the fan belt I uncrew the four nuts on the fan and your good to go!!!!

I hope this helps

MATRUCO

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am able to get the 1st two belts but can't figure out how to get to the one closest to the engine. Does it have the same bolt set up for tightening? I just see a top and bottom bolt.

THANKS

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage
209 Posts
Hey JimBob, to get your power steering belt off, the one that sits back closest to the engine, your going ot first have to take off the A/C belt and your alternator belt, which Iwould assume youve already done. This ones not to hard as long as you take a look at what your working with. You have an adjustment screw on the left hand side of the pump underneath the compressor, if you feel around for it you should be able to grab it with a 12 MM socket. Now, you will have to take both a bolt out of the top of the pump and a bolt out of the bottom before you will be able to move the pump far enough out of the way in order to squeeze that belt between the pinch point of the pump and that peksy AC idler bracket. Hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts