Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the KIA Sorento 2013 with the Premium Infinity system, but am not very satisfied with the sound. I wanted to upgrade the system but can't find reliable information on the connection between the head-unit and the amplifier. My plan was to replace the amplifier and insert a sound processor.

I received from KIA the following diagram for the Infinity premium system but it raises many questions:
  1. Many places claim it is a 12 speaker system, but the diagram shows 10 - which is right? :confused:
  2. The connection between the head-unit and the amplifier is labeled S/PDIF - but it shows 3 wires while S/PDIF is only 2 (coaxial) :confused:
  3. Both sides of the S/PDIF wires are labeled (OUT) - obviously this is wrong
My biggest concern is that due to these issues my confidence in this diagram is close to zero. :(

Does anyone have any experience with this system and has information on the actual configuration?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
1. The sub-woofer has 4 leads going to it. Maybe this makes it equivalent to 3 speakers? Maybe it's a multi-component speaker? There is some writing on the diagram but at too low resolution to be sure.

2. Maybe the diagram refers to a shielded twisted pair connection? That looks like a shield over 2 other wires in the diagram.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. The sub-woofer has 4 leads going to it. Maybe this makes it equivalent to 3 speakers? Maybe it's a multi-component speaker? There is some writing on the diagram but at too low resolution to be sure.
The subwoofer must be dual coil - this is why it has 4 leads.

2. Maybe the diagram refers to a shielded twisted pair connection? That looks like a shield over 2 other wires in the diagram.
Exactly - but a shield over a twisted pair connection is not S/PDIF. It could be AES/EBU or any other thing.

Hence my zero confidence in this diagram...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a newer more accurate diagram, however it still presents the SPDIF dilemma: why are 3 wires used? What is the real type of connection?

Attachments

·
Banned
710 Posts
Looks like SPDIF (2 channels of PCM data) delivered over coax to me, but that would normally terminate with RCA connectors. There's a balanced SPDIF spec which uses 3 conductors which is usually terminated with XLR connectors, but I don't see why they'd do it that way here.

Best,

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Looks like SPDIF (2 channels of PCM data) delivered over coax to me, but that would normally terminate with RCA connectors. There's a balanced SPDIF spec which uses 3 conductors which is usually terminated with XLR connectors, but I don't see why they'd do it that way here.
That's sort of what I was talking about. Not 2 channels though, just a balanced system to reduce noise pick-up. Similar wiring used in professional microphones. With microphones, you can adapt the balanced leads by tying one conductor to ground so that you can use an amplifier that has simple jacks rather than XLR. Not sure if this would work with the sound system under discussion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Best,
Sauron, you are right - there exists a 3 wire balanced version. My problem is that it has a different name: AES/EBU; it uses different signal levels and even the audio format has one bit that is used differently. I don't care if it is one or the other - as long as I know exactly which one it is. You can't or shouldn't use one type of connection and label it differently. It would be equivalent to writing VGA on an HDMI connection.

The best would be for someone to confirm one way or the other.

·
Banned
710 Posts
Sauron, you are right - there exists a 3 wire balanced version. My problem is that it has a different name: AES/EBU; it uses different signal levels and even the audio format has one bit that is used differently. I don't care if it is one or the other - as long as I know exactly which one it is. You can't or shouldn't use one type of connection and label it differently. It would be equivalent to writing VGA on an HDMI connection.

The best would be for someone to confirm one way or the other.
In theory...you could test the signal path wiring. Coax/spdif should be 75ohms. AES/EBU is 110ohms....if they even followed the spec. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's probably dual SPDIF signals one front, one rear using a common ground so that you have front/rear fading capability.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
Nikolai1024
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing