Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine went out today. After reading that it was a issue for a lot of SX owners I knew right away what it was.
The dealership fixed it in about an hr. So all in all not to bad.
Don't be surprised when it fails.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage LX / 1992 Corvette Coupe LT1 / 2012 Toyota Camry SE
45 Posts
Seems to be an issue across all trim levels not just SX. Happened to my LX about a month ago.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
Seems to be an issue across all trim levels IN 2011 not just SX. Happened to my LX about a month ago.
I haven't heard about this issue happening with a lot of the 2012 models. if i'm wrong about this i'll admit it. just haven't seen a lot of issues with the 2012 models. We didn't have that issue with the steering wheel peeling either. Also, not many 2012's had to get the waste-gate actuator patch.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX - Clear White
483 Posts
what is the brake switch you are talking about? I haven't heard anything about that, just trying to figure out what you mean when you say brake switch.

I did have the wastegate update done, and I just had the blower in the vent replaced due to some squeakiness. As for the leather steering wheel mine is fine (2011 SX model), no issues there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a switch that in on the brake pedal that malfunctions and won't allow the car to start.
To over ride hold the start button for 15seconds.
Kia was so dumb they told us to tow it. I just googled the overide instead.
Sometimes the forums are great for that stuff.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD Mineral Silver
459 Posts
It's a switch that in on the brake pedal that malfunctions and won't allow the car to start.
Does it drive normal after you override it so you can get it to the dealer? I thought it put it in a "limp mode" of sorts.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,414 Posts
Maybe it was more of a liability thing. If the switch was bad, you may not have had brake lamps, and therefore could have been rear ended. And they would have paid for the tow, so what difference does it make. Doesn't sound dumb to me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The brake lights and the third light are on seperate circuits to prevent loosing all brake lights even if the switch malfunctions.
I think that Kia should know about a Known problem like this.
It has happend to many many people. But for some reason every time I call for support the person on the other side is retarded.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento EX V6 GDI
23 Posts
We are having this exact issue with our 2014 EX. I have an appointment with the dealer today as it is still under warranty. Only problem now is it didn't start again last evening and hasn't started since. The last 2 times it happened I was able to get it started by waiting a bit. No, the work arounds have not helped.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento EX V6 GDI
23 Posts
UGH!! UPDATE - I thought I'd try one more thing. The first time this happened I was on a sloped driveway so I thought I'll put it in reverse and roll down a couple of feet and see if that works. It did. Just thought it was coincidence. Last ditch effort before calling dealer to come tow it. I pushed the start button, no response, but it allowed me to put it in reverse and I released the parking brake and put my foot on the brake pedal. Put it back in park pushed the start button and Voila!! Now to go get a shower so I'm on time for the appointment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts