Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Does anybody know what type or number the main and side indicator bulbs are?

Like for instance H4 headlights or 501 sidelights?

Many thanks in advance, wish it was a more interesting question....

Mike

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
49 Posts
Hey Mike,

I think the type depends on the market. In Denmark the bulbs are named like

Indicator front and rear: BAY15S - meaning assymetric 15 mm diameter yellow bulb with single filament (this is what I figured out it must mean).

My own experience is that you can replace them with either bluish shaded bulbs e.g. Osram Diadem (comes along with single and dual filament), chrome bulbs (like I'm using) of the brand Philips or LED-bulbs. The latter has to be mounted with some Ohm device or the blinker speed will be to high.

Side lights (front) are called W5W "wedge" in Denmark. This is with a glass socket.

You can replace these with other W5W bulbs in different colours (in 3W, 5W or 21W), or with LED-bulbs with one or more LED-units.

Hoping this is an answer to your question. If you type the following in Google, you'll get some inspiration;

"Osram Diadem"
"Philips Silver Vision"
or visit www.lightstyling.com (Danish company, site is in English, too)

Cheers,
Sacha :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
49 Posts
Oops, nearly forgot:

If you choose replacing your sidelights with stronger bulbs like mine, 21W, be aware of an excessive heat build up. I've pulled out the bulb holder a bit so hopefully the heat will excess this way.

The same goes for the headlights, the H4. If you use bulbs, e.g. 100W/80W or 130/90W they may be so strong that you simply destroy the parabolic device in the headlight.

My experience is that it gives a better light and life span if you choose a known brand, such as Osram or Philips. They've got some "cool blue" series too which are OK. You may be lucky and find some good offers on e.g. eBay.

Lastly, there are the HID replacement units. These are getting more common in Denmark. However, according to EU regulations, these seem to be illegal unless the car is equipped with head light washer and automatic light height... so for the Pica this will be illegal. However, I've considered this solution as the bluish light is up to 3 times stronger than from a regular filament type bulb.

Cheers,
Sacha

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey mate!

Thanks for your reply, as it happens I did fit some super white xenon's to my car, and xenon sidelights, though they seem to be the same power rating so hopefully still legal. the EU certainly seems to be very tight on its laws!

I have actually ordered some chromey indicators, didnt realise you had fitted them to yours too, but they look really nice, finish it off. Will put them in next time i have to get the bumper off lol.

Thanks for your reply that is really useful! looks like i will be struggling with the light fitting soon!

Thanks again

Mike

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
49 Posts
Hey Mike,

As far as I know, the power rating is not the only figure you must check out. Wattage means something for the E-approval. I know that H4 bulbs with higher power rating than the standard 60/55W aren't legal in Denmark.

Something else you must be aware of is that the H-series bulbs must have a UV-filter. I know the cheapest brands usually don't have this. In modern plastic lamps with free focus plastic lenses and plastic parabolic units, these part turn yellowish if you use bulbs without UV-filter. Never considered this before a friend of mine ruined his headlights on a Ford after using cheap bulbs continuously. The garage claimed that the "filterless" bulbs simply destroy the plastic stuff in a modern car lamp.

Have fun with your new bulbs :haha: looking forward to seeing some pics on this project!

Cheers,
Sacha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts