Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2008 kia rio and I am looking to do some performance modifications. What would be some good suggestions on increasing the performance of my car. I am looking to but a CAI on my car and finding it difficult to find one and haven't found any to fit my specific model of car. What would be the best solution for that?

·
Registered
36 Posts
First thing the first. Performance means = Power + Acceleration / Fuel performance (economy).

Many people thinks performance is a synonymous of HP increase, and that is only a small part of what really is.

The first thing I try on a car is installing a “turbonator”, not the electric supercharger, I mean something like the F1-Z Double Turbine into the ignition airflow pipe.
Amazon.com: F1-Z Double Turbine Turbo Charger Air Intake Gas Fuel Saver Fan for Car (Blue): Automotive

Depending on the car, it could increase up to 5HP. This little tweak can improve the low speed car torque, enhance the air flow in the ignition body, also throttle will feel lighter and more flexible. Fuel-efficient rate will increase from 5% to 15% above.

If you combine the turbine with a K&N direct air filter like this one:
Amazon.com: K & N Filters 57-3030-1 FIPK 01- GM P/U HEAVY: Books
Not only you will gain up to 10HP more, also your engine will roar as tiger since more air will go through the throttle body causing better mix into the piston cams.

Modifications above are in most states legal, except for the K&N direct air filter in California, perhaps those are cheap modifications.

Now, there are some other modifications in the exhaust system you can try that are not necessary legal but you can always ask your exhaust pipe mechanic to make them removable (using flanger), so you can re-place the old parts anytime you need.

I said “re-place them” because this consists in remove a couple of things from the exhaust pipeline like for example:
- Silencer
- Catalyst (both if applicable)
Also you can upgrade the stock manifold to a direct high performance pipe system like this:
Amazon.com: DPT, HDS-NS9016L, T-304 Stainless Steel Chrome Exhaust Manifold Header 1.25" Inlet with Gaskets: Automotive

If you really like to make people bit the dust, and if budget is not a problem for you, go and look a real turbo kit like this JDM Racing Stage 2 T3 T4 T04E Turbo turbocharger Intercooler Kit Upgrade 70HPS | eBay

Keep in mind that regular Kia engines are not made for racing performance, so some internal engine modifications should be made, since the cast head and block are not enough tough for high pressure, so you may need to reinforce both, also replace pistons, rods, rings and may be even the cams. This including professional labor will cost around $5000.

My recommendation, start from the minimum available modification such as the first two, then if you’re not satisfy go through the other ones.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
OK, lets forget about #1 . Do not even look on it.
The turbine looks nice, spins quickly, and restricts airflow. There is no power gain whatsoever.

2. Yes, short intake might help. However, KN filters are known to let more dust into the combustion chamber. They are less restrictive, but that also means less filtration.

3. Correct - polished and well designed exhaust will increase performance. Adding performance CAT you might pass emission and get more power. However, exhaust is only a little step here.

4. Turbo? Maybe, but not from Amazon... Go to a good place where they will tell you how to modify head, get better pistons, and so on and on. By putting extra air and making more power - you do not want to trash the engine. Also, clutch or torque converter might need to be upgraded as well if you go with turbo.

·
Super Moderator
6,851 Posts
I go along with PLP on all of the above...
You have a nice 06 Spectra that was made to be very reliable when left alone...
The first two suggestions are not worth the money you spent...Very little increase in HP and a LOT more dust to destroy the rings, bearings, and valves.
AND...like you said the 2.0L engine was NOT built to handle any extra HP... You WILL kill it..
Enjoy the cars for what they are and add some extras like HID headlights and LED add ons..
Dave

·
Registered
54 Posts
I suggest to start with bolt on upgrades IHE- Intake, headers, exhaust. You can buy this upgrades from your local store or online like with ebay, craigslist, autopartswarehouse, 4wheelonline, amazon etc. But don't expect to much, you will gain a bit of power but also noise and higher fuel consumption.

·
Registered
76 Posts
some head work along with a free-er flowing exhaust would
net you some nice power gains. tie that with a good intake
and you'd get some additional hp.

forget you ever even read anything about that ridiculous
tubonator. good lawd almighty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dont listen to these guys. The turbonator does work. If it didnt work then so many people wouldnt be using if. I get at least 10 more horses from it. It creates a back pressure inside your intake manifold which has a internal ram effect JUST LIKE A TURBO does. it just needs to spool up then it does its thing. Dont listen to the people who say it doesnt work because they obviosly didnt try it. Also the k and n air cleaner helps because you will pull in allot more air with the turbonator so you need it to breath more. Also you can take your catalittic converter and cut out the inside which will help the engine breath better too. When you improve the intake you need to improve the exhaust or its kinda pointless, right? Its kind expensive unless you can weld. Still cheaper than buying a custom exhauset and youll get another 5 horsepower. also use platinim plugs and I always run premuim gas and sinthetyc oil which helps. Its all little stuff but it all adds up to some noticable hp gains.

·
Registered
24 Posts
And also you can make a long ram tube for the air filter out of pcv pipe from home Depot. You want to make sure the air filter is in the front getting fresher air. If you keep it inside too much it just pulls the engine vapor and it will run rich. My friend cut out the grill and he made his ram air, but I like the sleeper look better personally. Its more fun when people just think it is stock.

·
Super Moderator
6,851 Posts
mccraigspeed...
You come to kia-forums with no reference to a KIA car...
Then you tout a worthless product that has NO scientific backing...
A pinwheel "works" also but won't give you any horsepower..
Without any scientific PROOF your posts are as useless as that "product".

"Opinions" by "users" are NOT proof..
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
how air flow restriction could work?
It speeds up as the air flows through and then pushes more air when not needed... in short - pointless.

Looks nice, maybe adds some sound, but technically - no use.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts