Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At present the current amps in the fusebos is 10A for low beam(both L/R), the high beam has na combined 20A fuse. IS it advisable the ff mods :

1. Replace the socket with a ceramic socket.
2. Increase the fuses to 15A each for low beam each and 30A for the combined L/R.
3. Volts x amperes = wattage - this is my reference..

thanks

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,805 Posts
1. Yes.
2. Yes, you can put any fuse you like.

However, the limitation are cables and the headlight housing.
Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT put 90/100 W light bulbs.
The extra heat will burn the mirror on the headlight housing (they are made of PLASTIC), plus you can melt the wires as well. The harness is to be used with 50-60W, but not twice that. Besides, resistivity increases with temperature. Hence, the wires will get hotter on hot day. Add the extra few amps - and fire is likely.

If you need more light - and have projectors - put HID. If you do not - do retrofit, or fit projectors from other Soul.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
472 Posts
Amen to that, PLP. Yes volts X amps does equal watts. You can calculate heat based on watts (1 watt = 3.4 BTU) a 50 watt lamp will put out over 170 BTU (heat). a 100 watt lamp doubles that to 340 BTU. Ask yourself where does this heat go? I agree with PLP ...your light assembly cannot take that kind of heat for very long. The ceramic base may buy you some time, but I think it's too risky to mess with, even if the wires could take the abuse (which I would question).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts