Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again.

My speedometer reads 65mph but I'm going 61 by the GPS. Thats a difference of more than the 5% allowed by federal law. And EVERYONE passes me on the 65mph limited highway.

Dealership says there's no software fix. Maybe replace the speedometer.

My tires are .5% different in revs/mile than the OEM tires. So its not the tires.

Anyone have a similar problem?

Reality is... I'll live with it. I'm not having them rip the dash apart for this small an issue.

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 LX Manual, '15 ZX14R, Honda VFR800, Ducati 748, '87 Buick Grand National, '13 Subaru BRZ
101 Posts
My speedometer reads 65mph but I'm going 61 by the GPS. Thats a difference of more than the 5% allowed by federal law.
Mine is off by about the same mph. This doesn't bother me on the road since I'm usually going 10+ faster than the limit on the highway ;)

What does bother me is that Kia is cheating me (and probably lots of other people) out of 5% of my warranty since the ODOMETER is also inaccurate. When I reach 100,000 miles on the odometer and my warranty expires, I will have only traveled 95,000 miles.

Multiply that by the many cars that they sell, and that saves them lots of money. Kind of like the fuel mileage lie that they got caught on and are now paying for. I'm sure glad I like my Rio, or this stuff would bother me.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I wouldn't be worried by an error like that. Our regulations mainly require the speedo not to read lower than actual speed, and not more than 10% faster. My own cars have 3%, 5% and 7% optimistic speedos, but the odometers are mostly within 1%. The Cerato reads 2% under true distance, so I'm getting a bit extra warranty!

It's worth checking speed against actual distance indicators if they are available in your area. we have 5km stretches on most highways, but these are not maintained well. Roadworks sometimes calls for the markers to be replaced, and the maintenance crews aren't too careful. Our closest set of markers has errors of ±5 metres near one end of the 5 km stretch, whereas the rest of the markers are within 1 metre of their true position (according to my calibrated odometer).

·
Registered
2017 KIA Forte5 SX, 2017 KIA Sportage EX Lux, 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE 2m6
77 Posts
I've always found that my GPS reading was slower than the car speedo, as well as directly from the OBDII port. I had all those things monitored in my 03 Elantra and found that the GPS was about 3-5km/h slower than the speedo, which was slower than the OBD port.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I've always found that my GPS reading was slower than the car speedo, as well as directly from the OBDII port. I had all those things monitored in my 03 Elantra and found that the GPS was about 3-5km/h slower than the speedo, which was slower than the OBD port.
And which one did you believe?

In one of my cars, I used to be able to take a pick between the speedo (4% fast), digital speedo repeater (3% fast), Trip computer (1% fast), or the GPS (accurate?).

There has been some discussion on the forum about the accuracy of GPS speed read-outs. I've checked a couple of units with a stop-watch on measured stretches and found that they're well within the displayed precision (usually rounded to 1 km/h). Typically, with cruise control holding at 100 km/h, stop-watch speed would be 99.7 km/h. My phone is a bit over-ambitious, giving 2 decimal places for speed, but it's in the ball-park. There's no reason why GPS shouldn't be accurate to 1% or better.

·
Registered
kia rio sedan
102 Posts
guys maybe they do it cause that way we dont pass speed limits xD, anyways, in my country theres not such thing, i have been at 210km in my old galant and in my rio at 170km, of course if the police see ya can be a problem :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys, I have a Kia Cerato 2005 sedan, and the problem I'm now facing is that the speedometer is now starting it's reading below the 0 mark. It has to start reading from the 0 mark. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. How can this be resolved?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,527 Posts
Hi guys, I have a Kia Cerato 2005 sedan, and the problem I'm now facing is that the speedometer is now starting it's reading below the 0 mark. It has to start reading from the 0 mark. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. How can this be resolved?
at this is a Rio forum, you might have more luck and appropriate feedback if you post your question on the correct forum.

Cerato (2003 - 2008) & Spectra5 (2004) - Kia Forum

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Accent
134 Posts
Virtually all cars display faster than the actual speed. Install slighter larger diameter tires at the next tire replacement - problem solved.

·
Registered
2012 rio 5 mt
31 Posts
speedo error

here in michigan they had a speed sign up in town that would tell ya your speed while driving at it.My speed in my rio5 was right on the money at 35 mph.I drove my older ford explorer with stock size tires it was off by 4 miles per hour my 2 cents never clocked it with gps who says that gps is on the money anyway????

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,805 Posts
All cars have OEM tires.
2002 Dodge Intrepid - speed spot on.
2007 KIA Rondo - speed off, speedo was about 3-5 MPH more than real speed.
2009 Hyundai Elantra - speed off, speedo was about 3-5 MPH more than real speed.

However,
2004 Hyundai Elantra with tires slightly bigger (by 2% than OEM)- speed spot on.

Measurements taken by both GPS on highway and local "radar" (GPS at speeds 50 through 75 MPH), while radar at 25 and 35 MPH.

Overall, nothing to worry about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts