Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok picked up my 2003 Sedona CRDI Se last night and have put a few miles in today.
My kids and I all want a roof mounted DVD player but I thought about it today and realised that there is whocking great hole in the roof on this model.

Is it possible to fit a DVD screen to the rooflining with reinforcement behind?

Anyone got an SE with a roof mounted DVD player fitted already?

Why put aircon and a sunroof into a vehicle?

Here's hoping someone has an answer I don't fancy seat back mounted screens with all the trailing wires and having to try and hide them when parked. I wanted it all tidied away :blownose:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Fitted one today funnily enough ;)
Very easy to do, the KIA supplied one seems quite effective, theres a nice handy beam approx 120mm back from the sunroof apature seal, you can rivet a bracket to that, needs to be rivets or very shallow screws or it will snag the sunroof sliding cover.
Easiest way to find the beam, remove the nearside grab handle/air vent above rear door, shine a torch inside the headlining, you will see the rail from there.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank god for that! Cos I wasn't about to admit I'd already got this on the way from Ebay

Ebay madness

Before I'd actually picked up the car.

Phew panic over!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Ahh thats the 'old' style one kia used to supply.
I should have kia fitting instructions for that setup somewhere.

It should come with a small mount plate for the screen, just needs a single rivet to hold it up iirc.
A few more wires than the later models as the player is a seperate unit, but all pretty much plug and play, player mounts under seat, needs 12v, igntion 12v and earth plumbed in, recommend taking that off the back of audio.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sedona 2.9 CRDi SE & 2004 Accord 2.2I-CDTI Exec
278 Posts
Murph can you get some details of this roof mounting stuff posted as I'm planning to install roof screens.
If you are doing this work as part of your daily grind, can you get a few pics of the inside of the lining and how you roue the cables.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'll dig out the kia stuff.. but it's specific to thier supplied bits..
Although it's very simple really.
Easy as it can get on non sunroof cars, the beam you need to be mounting to is in line with the plastic trim clip in the centre of the roof lining.
Sunroof models are a bit more tricky, but once you know where the beam is it's a doddle.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woohoo it arrived in the post this morning, the instructions and parts supplied are for both sunroof and non sunroof versions. I shall be playing quite happily for the morning now. :amen:

·
Registered
391 Posts
I would have gone to maplins or halfords and got the dual over the headrest types - the screen is ill placed and the infa red for the headphones is terrible + the headphones are £30 a pair, we connected up the creative labs 2.1 speaker system on our last long journey which meant that when "harry potter" went on I struggled to stay awake. along with everyone else.

although I have seen some screens mounted in the middle when it is flipped down you cannot see out the rear window which is why ours is more towards the drivers seat. KIA charged £1500 for this as an optional extra.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I drive a Ford Transit daily for a living seeing out of the rear window isn't a problem, plus on long hauls we always have a trailer on board so in the middle isn't a problem at all. Oh and I looked at the twin screen versions but they seem to be more a security issue having to put them away every time. Oh and this set came with 2 sets of Headphones but I can always run them through another sound system later on.

My problem is it doesn't seem to be working Grrrr. Put it all together stuck the old DVD in and nowt! The DVD players working, the screen lights up but they seemingly ain't talking to each other, the remote works from the screen but seemingly nothing else does. putting a set of headphones into the player and the players merrily working away.

So my choices seem to be the little box which sends the signal to the screen or the cable itself, Murph had any problems with these?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
yes.... a few issues.
The box of tricks the gets the audio up to the screen, are you 100% sure it's connected correctly, sounds like it isn't if you can get the audio from the player itself.
The wiring instructions aren't to clear.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes the box of tricks is conected properly, and no I can't get sound out of the actual infrared headphones, there's a Headphone socket on the front of the actual dvd player I put a normal set of headphones in there. I've tried connecting a household dvd player through the box of tricks still with no go.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have a replace box of tricks you can try if you think it may be that.

I have the same DVD fitted in mine. have you tried a different tv with an extension lead or something to make sure the output is working from the player. can you see the menus on the screen when to swap between NTSC and PAL etc. one problem we had was the interface cable with the tiny connectors was a bit damaged and it took abit of fiddling to get it in place to get a single to the screen.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Clartsonly thanks for the offer of the box of tricks. If you could post it down I can send you a cheque to compensate for your inconvenience or pay through Pay Pal

when I switch the screen on I can change all the PAL/NTSC AV1/AV2 and all the colours and screen sizes etc.

·
Registered
391 Posts
can you do all that on the screen with the box of tricks disconnected? I assume you definitely have the interface cable the right way up?

and let me know whether you managed to get anything from the DVD output white,red and yellow cables?

please check the back carefully as there are 2 sets of cables one for IN and one for OUT, I don't mean to sound patronising or anything - also another test would be to switch the DVD to "game" and plug a game cube or playstation into the IN ports at the back. I will try and remember to photo my connections at the back and post the picture up here. Please PM me with your address and I will send you my spare interface, obviously if it is not the problem please send it back ;)

clartsonly

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All good points I've been wondering what else I could hook up to the equipment, trouble is I can check the dvd player through my portable telly but I can't check the screen because it all runs through that little box.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll be checking and double checking all connections after a good nights sleep and then taking the telly out to see if that works on the dvd player. Oh and I'd alreay taken my home dvd player out to try that in the back of the box of tricks to no avail, this is why I suspect that little box.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was brand new still in boxes, all cables etc still sealed in packaging.

·
Registered
391 Posts
hello pepper,
before I send you the spare "box of tricks" the screen does not work at all, totally blank - unless it is plugged in to the box of tricks and the "box of tricks" has the 4 pin power lead plugged in.

now, I will upload a couple of pictures as soon as they are sent to me via my mates mobile. you MUST plug into the "IN 1" socket on the box of tricks from the bottom row of video sockets on the DVD player.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts