Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012, Rio5 LX+, 2009 Rondo EX 2.4l
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I removed the front speakers, and tried to replace them with Alpine 6.5in.
Great fit...but with the window all the way down, it only leaves 1.5 inches of space for the magnet. The Alpines came with universal brackets, but it did not leave enough space....and to boot....the sound was ok...but the Bass was LESS!
Any one have any reasonable ideas....anyone tried putting 6X9's on the decklid
or better door speakes with better Bass?

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
You're not going to get much improved bass response simply by changing out the front speakers. The efficiency and power handling of the Alpine speakers is likely different from the stock speakers you left in the back. This likely accounts for getting worse sound. You need to have similar speakers all around.

Also, it's likely that the stock head unit is underpowered for the alpine speakers. You need an amp at the very least to improve bass response. In absence of a subwoofer the biggest benefit of an amp is vastly improved clarity.

I have installed Polk Audio DXi 650 all around and power them with a Sound Ordnance 75w/channel amp. I am happier than I was with the stock sound, but still not satisfied.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx+
110 Posts
My friend installed a full Alpine system in his car. From the receiver to the alpine amp, Type R Sub , and Type S speakers all around the car.

I have to say I was VERY disappointed with them. Comparing the Alpine deck to my pioneer. It was really lacking in customization of the sound and quality. The bass sounded pretty bad other than being loud

Another friend of mine just installed Infinity Kappa series speakers, He has the same pioneer receiver as me, and he has my old Hifonics amp and Twin Type X Subwoofers. His Car sounds Amazing. The Kappa speakers give a really hard "smack" every time there is a note with bass and the subwoofers finish it off perfectly.

I've heard everything from all three of these brands. Out of these common brands. For a reciever I would strongly suggest Pioneer, for a subwoofer setup the Alpine's have awesome clarity when you wire them for the optimal resistance for clarity (your installer will know what I mean) , and for the speakers I absolutely have to give it to the Infinity brand. I've heard Alpine speakers and pioneer speakers and the infinity killed them.
I think for a basic enthusiast you would be absolutely fine just putting in a pioneer receiver and Infinity speakers. They have enough bass themselves.

·
Registered
2012, Rio5 LX+, 2009 Rondo EX 2.4l
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great advise, thanks!
I took the alpines back, and I had been trying to decide between them and the infinity's in the store already.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio LX, 2012 Hyundai Tuscon
1 Posts
Get the infinitys enjoylife. I have them in my 2012 Rio. They are 6.5in and they are great. You wont regret it. The only thing that will hold them back is the stock head unit.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I just want to clarify that the Polk's are great speakers too. They have amazing clarity. Excellent highs without being harsh (like the Kickers I tried at first - awful), and decent bass for 6.5's. I can crank the volume up with no distortion at all. The reason I'm not satisfied is that a sub is really needed to get full sound and I don't have one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts