Kia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While this note is specific to the Canadian manual, from some other posts, am guessing the U.S. manual may not be that much different. My view is it leaves something to be desired:

In the "Features" section alone I counted 51 features where stats "if equipped", leaving it to the customer to figure out if his/her car has the feature.
I counted 17 as standard across all models, so why show the "if equipped".

It shows a few options not available in North America such as where the center cup holders are if have manual transmission and a page on the rain sensor. In North America it is not a rain sensor but rather a sensor for interior car humidity to trigger the front defogger for models with Automatic Climate Control.

There are features not covered such as Exterior side mirrors that close or open when double press lock and unlock buttons. Who knew ??

There are some "warning lights" that as of yet I don't know whether I have, examples being "Master Warning Mode" and "Low washer fluid".

Then there are disconnects in feature labeling. What manual labels as LCD screen, Canadian KIA website calls Enhanced Supervision Cluster.

I have suggested to the dealer that they create a checklist of features, cross referenced to the manual as to what they do or do not have. Some are obvious, others are not. Provide to customers on delivery.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,235 Posts
Yes it's frustrating. Most car manuals that I've read have multiple options, especially for audio systems, and the "If Equipped" rider is a real PIA.

What I've suggested in the past is a Model-Specific manual, printed for your particular car. Since cars are specified in the production run by a series of codes, it's not a major leap to link that to a computer program that only prints the required sections of the manual. Existing word-processing programs have facilities for automatic generation of documents and associated index pages. One solution would be to have a specific on-line PDF manual, rather than printing separate handbooks.

I don't usually bother reading the sections of the manual dealing with the audio system (since it's not a vital part of the car for me). We normally wrestle with it during the first trip just enough to play our CDs and listen to the radio.

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard of some cases of the manual being provided on a tablet. One benefit to that approach is hot links as between table of contents and the referenced page.
I don't mind and am used to one manual covering multiple model levels within a country.
What bugs me is a tendency to world wide, thus including options that no model has or showing "if equipped" when standard for all models.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts