Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My wifes Kia Rio Hatch has a little problem with the drivers door. The door won't open. She is forced to climb through the passenger door. all the other doors open when the locking knob is pulled up but not the drivers. the Central locking isn't working at all and if you pull the knob up high enough on the drivers door all the other doors will unlock until you let go.

Any help or advice you could share would be great. :)

Liam,

Perth Western Australia

·
Registered
97 Posts
Perhaps the cable or bar to the door handle has come off. Take the interior trim off the door and carefully peel back the weather stripping to take a look at it. That is if it's out of warranty. If it's NOT, then just take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Also:

1) Can you open it from the outside?

2) Have you ever been locked out of your car and had someone jimmy the lock for you? This being done improperly can cause damage to the mechanisms inside.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your answers, The door can not be opened from the outside or the inside. Also when you put the key in the drivers door and turn it all the other doors will unlock until you release the key. tI can hear the handle engage when pulled. it just won't unlock or open.
Can I remove the door trim with the door closed? could it be the central locking motor?
it is out of warranty.

Thank you for your fast reply.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I doubt that they have a central locking motor. It's probably when you put the key in and turn it however you do, it sends a signal to all the other doors to unlock. (my rio didn't have any power options aside from steering) I do not think you can remove the trim with the door closed, I highly doubt it. Something to try might be to get a locksmith or towing company to come out and try to jimmy your door open. Sometimes they can pull the release handle with their tools to open the door. If they can do that, then I would immediately pull the trim off... OR treat it like a Jeep Wrangler and just take the door off after they open it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Rio is in being fixed for this very problem. Theyve had it for 3 hours and can't figure out the problem.

I'll let you know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts