Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Girlfriend was complaining about her car so i thought id take it for a drive. I never ride in her car and whenever we go anywhere together its in my car. First thing i noticed whenever i started it was the ticking noise......i checked the oil and there was none.....*gritting my teeth* i drained about 1/2 qrt from the pan and changed the filter......a week later while outside smoking I decided to check the oil.....again none. So I added oil and added an dye to the motor. I let the car run for close to 8 hours in the garage (garage door open of course), Crawled underneath it and checked to see if i could find a leak (since there was no oil on the driveway i was assuming it was burning it but i wanted to be sure). It was leaking from EVERYWHERE!!! Front crank seal, rear main valve cover gasket......and so on and so on....so being the car junkie i am i decided the best thing to do was pull the motor and start cleaning everything up start over from scratch new gaskets from top to bottom and a good cleaning on the cylinder head and cams...I started taking the car apart and when i pulled off the valve cover i almost passed out.

This is what greeted me

Needless to say Im learning more about this car than I care to. I know that 90% of this is because she never took care of her car til i came into the picture, but are kias really decent cars the local story i am getting is they used to be trash but now (2003 - present) they are well built. Any help along the way would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Will :unsure:

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Welcome to the site. No they were not trash prior to 2003. I know of many people that have kias from the 90's and early 00's and they have had no issues with them. Not taking care of it didnt help out at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She knows absolutely nothing about car maintenance, i asked her when she got her oil changed and she was like "oh just last year" so i dont want to say stupid but ignorant might be a better word ;)

Got the head off the car and now trying to find a place to rent an air compressor from to get the axle nuts loose....unless anyone here knows a way to get them off.....any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts