Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have test driven a few Sportages and I'm pretty impressed. I've been looking for a new daily driver as my current one needs to be retired as it is too much to handle for a daily commute.

I figured I could use a little utility in my life. How are your Sportages holding up? Any regrets or must do's as far as features. I don't need an SX because my other car is plenty fast, and I would rather have the fuel savings. I'd love to see feedback from the community. Thx.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'd go for the EX as it comes. You might find options that you want to add, but for me the basic EX is fine. Its a sporty ride already, and many dealers pump up the tires too hard, so check tire pressure and adjust before driving, so you won't get hammered too bad. They do soften over a few thousand miles but remain 'taut'. I had a little glitch with mine that turned out to be just the harness connector on the crank position sensor - wasn't completely pushed in. Other than that, smooth sailing with 15,500 miles now. I'm older and have had many vehicles, with my last one being a Saturn VUE. These had a bad service history and I certainly had my troubles with it. The KIA is a welcome change in reliability. Check the forum for problems reported and you will find they are spotty. Most complaints I find here are really inexperience on the part of the owners. There have been some serious problems for sure, but based on my experience on owner forums, very light compared to most other makes, and of course you have the 5/60K and 10/100K warranties with the KIA, which pretty much take care of the car during the typical 5-year payoff period except for maintenance.
Depending on what the 2016 Sportage is like, my plan is to trade mine in on an SX AWD, but if KIA comes up with a different version by then, I might jump ship to something else. It just depends on what's going on at that time.
The Sportage works for me in every mode I need. Its relatively fast, definitely good-handling, good-looking, economical, comfortable and useful.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,868 Posts
1 year old.

Zero problems, zero complaints..........

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
Good:
-Seems to be great mechanical quality, no issues regarding that
-Top notch styling
-"Decent" handling for a CUV
-A lot of features for the money
-Lots of rear seat room
-Lockable AWD
-Reasonable fuel economy

Bad:
-Does suffer some creaks and rattles, seems prevelent mostly on the sunroof equipped models
-The doors suffer on rock covered roads, lots of rash. Install running boards or stoneguard will help
-2012 SX appears to be detuned on the launch programming
-Not as many dealers to have work done compared to a domestic brand
-Resell value not as good as a Japanese import from what I am seeing in the marketplace right now

What I ultimately think it comes down to is making sure you have tested EVERY vehicle you are interested in. If you have driven everything and decided the Sportage is what you want, you probably won't be regretting it later. I rushed into my purchase and now think about some of the cars I should have tried out before buying this one like the Infiniti G37x, Acura RDX, Taurus SHO, etc. Don't rush your purchase.

·
Registered
557 Posts
-The doors suffer on rock covered roads, lots of rash. Install running boards or stoneguard will help
-2012 SX appears to be detuned on the launch programming

Acura RDX
RDX had horrible turbo lag in its first years, but they sorted it out eventually. I haven't tested the new V6 one.

Interesting point on the doors.

Point #2 is particularly annoying me; apparently there's a twin-turbo kit for the Infiniti EX35 now....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the answers guys. Really appreciate it. I've seen you guys posting in other sportage threads so I know that you are giving me the good stuff.

I liked the idea of the AWD SX because I am power hungry lol, but I live in the SF bay area and AWD really isn't needed out here. I don't even think my tires will ever touch anything but pavement and I have never needed AWD. Regardless of the SX 2.0 Turbo it still feels slow to me on the freeway, but that is because my other car is fast. I'm perfectly fine with having the most gas saving trim.

I do think there is a little bit of road noise that is being transfered into the vehicle. Has anyone changed the tires to see if that helps?

Oh here is my current daily driver... 450rwhp and will run high 11s with street tires.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
What Highbeamz said is basically what I experience in my 2011 SX. The good and bad stuff he mentions... What personally bugs me the most is:

- Inner door panel rattle. Very slight but when I hear it, it drives me a bit crazy. I'm under 1 year and 12,000 so they may find a way to fix that in my "adjustment period". But, as mentioned, there can be slight rattles here and there. Not horrible but can be present.

- It is quite a bit noisier in the cabin than other CUVs due to road noise transfer. But, 2012 & 2013 models are supposed to be better than the 2011 models. They have a few $150 "self-install noise reduction kits) I may in the future try.

- A bit too much hard plastic inside for my liking. But, it looks nice and fits the design so not a big deal for me. They've also done a good job making all the areas you touch as a driver or passenger (ie. arm rests etc.) soft so no complaints there.

I'd agree with you in regards to the AWD vs FWD. I live in SoCal and only drive on the freeways and city streets. No need for AWD personally so I'd go w/ your gut and find a FWD version. Saves a bit of gas and maintenance etc.

All in all I love my sportage SX. It's snappy with its 260 HP turbocharged motor, looks great, pretty darn comfortable inside, has a nice big back seat/large back door openings, and comes with tech goodies that I like and want.

The EX is also really nice and would be perfect just as it is for the majority of drivers out there. But, if you're like me and enjoy/are used to a bit of power, I'd definitely suggest the SX. I owned an EX initially and traded it for an SX. I had a turbocharged car (Audi A4) prior and just couldn't live without the bit of juice the SX provides. Again, just personal preference.

My SX has the factory navigation and premium package. The nav works well and the touchscreen is easy to use (touch sensitivity is great - much better than the UVO head unit in regards to touchscreen usability). I love the panoramic glass roof. Leather seats in the SX are nice and comfortable.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Thanks for the answers guys. Really appreciate it. I've seen you guys posting in other sportage threads so I know that you are giving me the good stuff.

I liked the idea of the AWD SX because I am power hungry lol, but I live in the SF bay area and AWD really isn't needed out here. I don't even think my tires will ever touch anything but pavement and I have never needed AWD. Regardless of the SX 2.0 Turbo it still feels slow to me on the freeway, but that is because my other car is fast. I'm perfectly fine with having the most gas saving trim.

I do think there is a little bit of road noise that is being transfered into the vehicle. Has anyone changed the tires to see if that helps?
Oh here is my current daily driver... 450rwhp and will run high 11s with street tires.

The Hankook tires are really good, but a little noisy. I don't expect to ever change them - hopefully they'll still be on the car when I trade for a 2016. I'm sure if you have a grand to throw at a new car you can find some really soft, quiet tires for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up going with this as a new daily driver. Optima Hybrid. The rims are horrific, but I'll fix that soon enough ;)

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
Nice ride. And agree, rims are hideous ;-p Not sure why they put those on the hybrid. Maybe because they're light weight or something?

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up going with this as a new daily driver. Optima Hybrid. The rims are horrific, but I'll fix that soon enough ;)

Let me know if you want to offload those OE Hybrid wheels for a reasonable price. I actually like the look of them and they will fit perfectly on my 10 Optima.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
144 Posts
Nice ride. And agree, rims are hideous ;-p Not sure why they put those on the hybrid. Maybe because they're light weight or something?
Typically less open wheel area equates to less drag which means slightly better fuel economy above 40mph. You can get around that with a bit of engineering on the wheel design but this is Kia.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let me know if you want to offload those OE Hybrid wheels for a reasonable price. I actually like the look of them and they will fit perfectly on my 10 Optima.
Let me know what you think a reasonable price is. They have no blemishes and all the tread.

Typically less open wheel area equates to less drag which means slightly better fuel economy above 40mph. You can get around that with a bit of engineering on the wheel design but this is Kia.
Exactly. I am curious how much they weigh. I would love to find some 19's that are lighter to offset the added drag. I'm probably going to go with a mesh style rim.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts