Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Optima EX Luxury, 1991 Chrysler LeBaron GTC Coupe
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I park my car at the lot this morning. Shift into Park, the display shows P, I press the Start/Stop button and I get the warning chime telling me to put the car in Park?

Anyone know if there is a service bulletin on the issue? Has anyone else had this issue?

I'm hoping for yes and yes as answers. :p

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,110 Posts
So I park my car at the lot this morning. Shift into Park, the display shows P, I press the Start/Stop button and I get the warning chime telling me to put the car in Park?

Anyone know if there is a service bulletin on the issue? Has anyone else had this issue?

I'm hoping for yes and yes as answers. :p
Push button starts seem to be suffering from faulty stop lamp switches. If you hold the Start/Stop button for 15? seconds, it should start then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reviving an old thread.

I'm reviving this thread to provide an update in case it may help out others with the same symptoms as I am having.

First of all a symptom re-cap. The vehicle is a 2011 Optima EX Luxury w/ NAV. The symptoms have always been intermittent but are occurring with greater frequency over time.

After driving, I put the car in Park. The indicator on the dash displays P and the doors automatically unlock. Everything is fine so far. When I press the Start/Stop button the engine shuts off, but instead of the seat retracting I get a warning chime and a message on the display telling me to put the car in Park.

This of course makes no sense because the selector display on the same screen shows P right below the message saying "put the car in park". The doors will not lock from the key fob, but I can restart the car when it is in this state. So some of the car's systems see it in Park but not all.

First attempt at a fix from the dealer was to replace the brake signal switch. This did not have any affect and after picking up the car the problem occurred more frequently than before. The car is currently back at the dealer for fix attempt two.

The dealer contacted KIA Canada for service advice as "we have never seen this issue before". Fix attempt two involves replacing the immobiliser switch and "completely reprogramming the system". The dealer will be holding the car for another day or two to see if the problem reoccurs after the vehicle has sat overnight.

I will follow up after picking up the car to let everyone know if the fix has worked. Also, if anyone else has experienced this problem please let me know what you’ve discovered as any additional information is likely to be helpful, thanks.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
Optima-Prime - as you live in Canada, its always a good idea to add your location to your profile on the left side of your post - thanks. It's a big help to us as vehicles vary in features in different parts of the world.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got a call from the dealer. The latest fix did not resolve the issue. They will now be replacing the shift selector assembly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be picking up the car today. They replaced the gear selector assembly and that has corrected the issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts