Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2012 Sportage base with AWD. Dealer installed free remote start when purchase. Has anyone had issues with ignition locking up. It has now happened at least 1/2 dozen times. Key would sometimes lock in ignition, would be unable to unlock ignition and key would be stuck in ignition. Also have had issues where key would unlock ignition but would not engage starter. Dealer changed ignition but key locked up in ignition again tonight. After approximately 15 minutes I was able to remove the key and tried my spare key. I was able to get key into ignition and start vehicle. I will be taking vehicle back to dealer on Monday.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
are you sure its not the steering lock that's doing that. If it happens again, just move the wheel slightly and see if the key comes out - just a suggestion.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've had that in an old car. My solution was to order a new ignition system that'll remove the steering lock and key. Moving the wheel can help as conwelpic says, but I've already bent one of my keys.

If the remote-start system was not made by Kia, and was actually free, have them take it out. If you live somewhere cold, visit a professional audio-installer type place, and buy a good remote start system. It isn't worth being stranded in the cold to have a free remote-start.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
for cold climates a block heater is a far more effective than a remote start, cheaper and nothing can go wrong.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX, 6spd manual
184 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well, yeah, but it's a different purpose. A block heater will heat the coolant and the block, warming the heatercore, but you need a plug and the time to wait. Heating the block before starting is good, but not always possible.

I don't know where lv345 is from. If it's nearly -50c, you'd get frostbite from touching the steering wheel, and all the lubricants have put the car's parts into slow motion (LCD, pedals, turn signal stalk, etc), and you parked where there's no plug, a remote start gives the car time to warm up before you need to leave.

Incidentally, the heaterpad blockheaters aren't ideal, since they heat little indirectly, and the heat weakens the glue. There's magnetic ones, but they're still on the outside the block, so they need more time. There's also large coolant heaters that hope to cycle warmed coolant through convection, but they don't, similar to inline heaters. A freeze/welsch plug element directly heats the coolant in the block, is usually a quarter the price, and is several times to an order of magnitude more powerful. They're fairly easy to install, but I'm sure an oil change place would install one cheap.

Anecdotally, I know two people who went for the free dealership remote start. Both people hate them. When the range is "next to the car", it eliminates half the point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts