Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I signed up for the U.S. mileage rebate online.
Didn't see any fine print about forfeiting ability to participate in class action or private suits.

I went to the dealer for service and also got the odometer verified.
Didn't have any fine print there either.

I received the Visa card today with the mileage refund on it.
Didn't see any fine print specific to rights or participation.
I'm reluctant to use the card.

So - has anyone found anything that resembled a trap if you accept the card or enroll in the program?

The pessimistic side of me says that they can stop the program anytime (after one year, two years, etc.) since they haven't fully defined the limits of the program. If you have already accepted or enrolled we might not learn the limits cause we agreed to things somehow. This is a large corporation of course with accountants and lawyers who will naturally try to reduce the cost of this program in any way possible.

Any thoughts on this topic?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
rights to do what????? if you feel that way then don't use it, nobody is forcing you. :D

Actually they did specify the time:

"If you’re a current owner, it’s important to note that reimbursement will be available for as long as you own your vehicle."

https://kiampginfo.com/overview/compensation

Me, when I get mine, I'm using it. :)

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD Mineral Silver
459 Posts
If you were thinking about a class action suit, you shouldn't have signed up. And what would you really be gaining if you do decide to sue? Was that 1 mpg difference really going to make you sway from some other manufacturer? Does that mpg rating hurt you in some way? No. It not like there was some faulty part on the car that is falling off and hurting people. People are too quick to sue just to make some money.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts

·
Registered
'12 Sportage SX AWD
37 Posts
I would be happy not to go through all this crap every year and just accept a lump sum payout of $2500.:eek::rolleyes::lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, today I received a letter in the mail from Kia. It was the first piece of official information I have received that put in writing that the program was for the length of time that I own the car. The first letter I received was when the program was first announced and did not have details they were all on the website.

My main concern was that EVERYTHING about the program was on a KIA website. As we know, it only takes a few keystrokes to make things appear and the same to make thing disappear. Like the program rules, duration, etc. Poof, now you see them now you don't.

"But, but....um......it said on the website..." "Where, show me?" "Ah, well it used to say..."

So now I have a letter on company letterhead that spells it out. I'm good with that.
Problem solved.

Now before anyone thinks I'm the suing type or want to double-dip in the victim pool...no that wasn't my purpose for asking the question. I'm just the sort of person who is old enough to remember that business promises should be in writing. A website isn't in writing when the content can change in an instant. You take your chances that something will still be there the next time you need to see it.

OK...now I have a reimbursement credit card to activate. To go buy gas that I didn't think I would need to buy cause my new car was sold to me with a marketing claim of 32 mpg and it will never get that under normal conditions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be happy not to go through all this crap every year and just accept a lump sum payout of $2500.:eek::rolleyes::lol:
I agree...a lump sum for inconvenience and confidence loss would be easier. By having to go to the dealer each time for verification of miles...what are the chances of one of us buying another of the same brand? We are getting a reminder each time that they lied on THE key specification of a compact car. A voluntary disbursement to owners as a lump sum would smooth things better than playing a credit card game.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,947 Posts
Just plain ridiculous...........

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
OK...now I have a reimbursement credit card to activate. To go buy gas that I didn't think I would need to buy cause my new car was sold to me with a marketing claim of 32 mpg and it will never get that under normal conditions.
do you get the marketing claim of all the other vehicles sitting in your driveway :confused:

you get the marketing claim if you drive the way it was arrived at, they never say you will get that - "your mileage will vary". Your going on about the fine print, so you must have seen that.
So now all of sudden your Sportage gets 2 mpg less on the highway than before they announced it was to be adjusted. :D

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
If you were thinking about a class action suit, you shouldn't have signed up. And what would you really be gaining if you do decide to sue? Was that 1 mpg difference really going to make you sway from some other manufacturer? Does that mpg rating hurt you in some way? No. It not like there was some faulty part on the car that is falling off and hurting people. People are too quick to sue just to make some money.
Best post! Especially the last sentence. It makes me wonder, how many businesses would still be around or if the costs of things would be cheaper (since companies wouldn't need to carry absurd amounts of insurance) if everyone wasn't so quick to sue over every little thing, AND if juries would stop giving people overly excessive award amounts.

I wonder how long it will take some bleeding heart out on the west coast to sue for the emotional distress they were caused by the loss of a few MPGs. They are so sensitive out there. :lol:

Side note: I do understand the OP wanting something official in writing. Sadly you can't trust people these days. But the excessive crying over a few MPGs is pretty much indicative of today's society. Seriously, I will probably take the money they are forking out too, but it isn't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
My main concern was that EVERYTHING about the program was on a KIA website. As we know, it only takes a few keystrokes to make things appear and the same to make thing disappear. Like the program rules, duration, etc. Poof, now you see them now you don't.

"But, but....um......it said on the website..." "Where, show me?" "Ah, well it used to say..."
There is this thing called "Google Cache" and it stores a snap shot of all websites (on Google) throughout history. Plus if they reneged on the deal, you wouldn't be alone in telling the Judge that it was on the website. Can't deny all those people that got emails after signing up for the program.

A Paper letter is more lawyer pleasing though! :lol:

We are getting a reminder each time that they lied on THE key specification of a compact car.
So the only different between this and any other manufacturer is that KIA admits to lying and wants to make it up to you. Isn't this better than the constant waves of denial from the auto manufacturers that angry consumers have to contend against? Please don't try to tell me that Ford would even admit to over-estimating the mileage of one of their vehicles? When they are even trying to figure out a way to offset the massive recalls on the consumer? Come on.

I challenge you to find another manufacturer that has, will or would do what KIA is doing.

KIA is awesome and my vehicle is awesome. I couldn't have been happier about it, but then i found out they are PAYING ME to drive my car! Who else is gonna do that?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Isn't this better than the constant waves of denial from the auto manufacturers that angry consumers have to contend against?

I challenge you to find another manufacturer that has, will or would do what KIA is doing.
Yes, this voluntary effort to reimburse is better than what some manufacturers would do. 100% agree.

Although I know how a manufacturing company works. They all promote their products to be as competitive as possible and push the boundaries (accurate features and claims) as much as they dare to get you to buy theirs instead of the competitors. If a major public discovery is imminent, with broad reaching scope and likely litigation in regards to safety, quality, or product claim - their response and actions are carefully planned and they weigh the cost and effort of being proactive against the impact of losing a bet that they would lose hard in a civil and/or criminal court case.

So any manufacturer could do what KIA has done. It depends on how well they research and predict the possible outcomes and also the gambling instincts of the executives and decision makers within the company. It could be a local bread baker or a large multinational auto manufacturer who does this. Voluntary actions happen more often than we know about.

But I agree that many will drag their feet and wait to be told what to do rather than deciding for themselves. As far as we know, KIA gets credit for not doing that here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was that 1 mpg difference really going to make you sway from some other manufacturer? Does that mpg rating hurt you in some way? No.

Uh, the answer is yes to both of your questions.

1) I looked at the competitors before I bought the Sportage. It had no real advantage other than warranty and most importantly to me -mileage rating.

2) The difference is 2 mpg for my make & model. This vehicle is used as the primary travel one in my household. I live in a region that always has fuel prices higher than the national average. The $125 a year extra that I will be paying in fuel matters to me.

If you think $125 a year is insignificant....... you are better off than most of us.
Send me a gift card with a $125 gas card inside for Christmas. You'll feel nothing but the joy of giving, no? :p

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,507 Posts

1) I looked at the competitors before I bought the Sportage. It had no real advantage other than warranty and most importantly to me -mileage rating.

2) The difference is 2 mpg for my make & model. This vehicle is used as the primary travel one in my household. I live in a region that always has fuel prices higher than the national average. The $125 a year extra that I will be paying in fuel matters to me.

If you think $125 a year is insignificant....... you are better off than most of us.
Send me a gift card with a $125 gas card inside for Christmas. You'll feel nothing but the joy of giving, no? :p

No reason for him to send you a c/card, Kia has already done it for you. And will keep doing it EVERY year you own the Kia! I don't konw about you, but it sure sounds like a good deal to me. :)

·
Registered
8,536 Posts

1. what were the competitors that you compared the Sportage too?

2. How did you arrive at this figure?

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD Mineral Silver
459 Posts

Then you didn't look hard enough. The are a lot more advantages for the Sportage and other manufacturers have theirs too. If the fuel usage was key for you, then there are a lot more vehicles out there that would have given you more advantages. Check out the Prius. And if that doesn't meet your needs, then you must have had other criteria and advantages that you looked at. So basing it all on the MPG isn't a very strong argument.

And guess what? Kia is giving you a gas card that will probably equal $125 each year. So you are all set.

And if $125 dollars a year really hurts your pocket, then you probably shouldn't have bought a new car and saved some money and bought a used car. The depreciation alone is more than that. $125 split out across 12 months equals $10.42 per month. Seriously? I can spend that on a couple of beers after work...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
1. what were the competitors that you compared the Sportage too?

2. How did you arrive at this figure?

The card that I got this week was for $25 and I put 3,000 miles on the car up to that point. 15,000 avg per year. 5 x 25.

I looked at Toyota, Chevy, another Ford Escape, Nissan, and more. Not any more comfortable, no different features, other specs weren't game changers. For the a compact SUV needed - the Kia had better MPG for that size vehicle.

Well....HAD better mpg. The playing field is more level now. But I already bought it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
Although I know how a manufacturing company works. They all promote their products to be as competitive as possible and push the boundaries (accurate features and claims) as much as they dare to get you to buy theirs instead of the competitors. If a major public discovery is imminent, with broad reaching scope and likely litigation in regards to safety, quality, or product claim - their response and actions are carefully planned and they weigh the cost and effort of being proactive against the impact of losing a bet that they would lose hard in a civil and/or criminal court case.
Yes, yes.. we've ALL seen Fight Club.

So any manufacturer could do what KIA has done.
And yet no one else has. So would you rather try another car?

You realize that your rage over the 1mpg is completely silly. I have around 20k miles and i am getting back $150-200. i haven't gone into the shop to get it verified. That seems like a lot, but do you have ANY IDEA HOW MUCH GAS I BOUGHT?

I can back calculate it. 29 mpg actual, 30 on the sheet. so that s 1mpg difference.

1/30 = 0.03333.. so take $150 (my refund) and divide it by 0.0333 and you get $4500. four thousand five hundred dollars worth of gas. IN A YEAR.

Now if kia promised me that this car would eliminate or cut my usage in half, then that would be something. But 1/30th? that's 3 cents on the dollar man.

You wouldn't miss that, unless someone told you about it. Kia did, and now you are butthurt over being out 1/30th of your gas money.

Anyone care to crunch the numbers over the fusion and its estimated 50mpg, but real mileage of 35? f it, i will.

50-35=15, 15/50 = 0.3 1/3 ONE THIRD 1 in 3

YEAH. that's something to be hurt over.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts