Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I've just finished an engine swap on my year 2000 DOHC 16v petrol, manual Sportage. It started up 2nd turn of the key. I drove it around the block a couple of times and it drives ok except for this idling too fast.
I've turned the idling screw back so it's not even touching now but it still wont go below 1400 rpm. It isn't the accelerator cable being too tight either so what could it be ? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan, 17 Ford Edge Sport, 15 Mustang, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,708 Posts
You should get the throttle stop screw as close to original - this is not used to adjust the idle speed.

You most likely have a vacuum leak or a problem with the ISC valve (sometimes referred to as IAC).

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,696 Posts
Unplug the IAC, if the idle does not drop, next block off the internal IAC opening (intake manifold) you have an illegal air source (vacuum)... Philip

·
Registered
8 Posts
take the IAC valve off and clean it with some sensor safe trottlebody cleaner and put it back on then put the screw back like it was and that should work i had same problem

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan, 17 Ford Edge Sport, 15 Mustang, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,708 Posts
Check youre airfliter a dirty air filter will make it idle faster cuz its trying to suck more air and it cant.
I'm having difficulty understanding this.

The Idle Air Control valve (IAC or ISC) would open further to compensate for the intake restriction presented by the dirty air filter, and in the most severe case where it cannot supply sufficient air for idle, the engine would cut out.

Maybe my understanding not too good, so please explain in more detail.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,696 Posts
A restricted filter will create a rich condition, the ECU will then shorten the fuel pulse. The ISC has no function that to attain an idle at spec, 800rpm..

You most likely have an illegal air condition, check all hoses and gaskets associated with the intake manifold out to the MAF... Philip

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Had the same problem just tonight idling 1,400 rpm. Removed the i a c and found a section of the paper thin gasket missing. No auto parts open and i didn't have thin gasket material to make one. Got out my trusty atv an sealed it.
Idles fine 850 rpms will order new gasket monday.
Chief

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,696 Posts
Had the same problem just tonight idling 1,400 rpm. Removed the i a c and found a section of the paper thin gasket missing. No auto parts open and i didn't have thin gasket material to make one. Got out my trusty atv an sealed it.
Idles fine 850 rpms will order new gasket monday.
Chief
If you are satisfied with the RTV seal, let it be.... Is the RTV that you used O2 safe???? Some are; others not.... Philip

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Good question ~~~ its was a older tube so i'm thinking not.

Chief

1 - 11 of 11 Posts