Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idle Stop and Go (ISG)

I have on two occasions had my ISG (Idle Stop and Go) fail to start back up on my 2013 Rio. Has anyone else had this problem, and how have you dealt with it?

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I have on two occasions had my ISG (Idle Stop and Go) fail to start back up on my 2013 Rio. Has anyone else had this problem, and how have you dealt with it?
I don't have ISG but clearly a trip to the dealer is in order.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I've done that. A Kia engineer traveled across the country to look at my car and could not find a problem.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
Out of curiosity.... are you stepping on the gas the second it stops?.... or are you stopping, its been off for a second or two.. then trying to go.....

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
I Feel Your Pain

Yes, I've done that. A Kia engineer traveled across the country to look at my car and could not find a problem.
Unfortunately ISG is not yet ready for prime time. I couldn't find a Rio5 on the lot without it, so I am stuck with it. It has some good points, but the bad outweigh the good. They must not have stop signs in South Korea because ISG shuts off the car at every one of them unless you "coast through" - I would think some law suits are already in the works regarding this issue. Who the hell thought of a system that shuts a car off at a stop sign!

The KIA Service Centers in Upstate New York know nothing about ISG and just shake their heads when I ask them a question regarding its operation or lack thereof. It would be absolutely impossible for them to troubleshoot ISG during a test drive. In their opinion if the system doesn't generate an error code on the OBDII everything is working fine!

I have researched the heck out of ISG. Ford is pretty close to getting it right and Mazda does not feel it would be beneficial in the States, although they have a high tech instant re-start system that works well overseas. The current KIA ISG system uses the wrong algorithms so many owners just by-pass it throwing away $400.00 (for the privilege of owning ISG) and winding up with a battery that costs over $200.00 to replace.

I believe ISG can work, but a lot more thought needs to be put into the system...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to Sdgc: I stop at a traffic light, sit during the light with my foot on the brake, take my foot off the brake and an alarm goes off and the car needs to be manually restarted.

to ELI 10: Has your ISG ever failed?

·
Registered
142 Posts
to Sdgc: I stop at a traffic light, sit during the light with my foot on the brake, take my foot off the brake and an alarm goes off and the car needs to be manually restarted.

to ELI 10: Has your ISG ever failed?
No - My ISG has never failed to restart. I have never had an error light or alarm come on. Marley Fan is right - this is definitely a dealer issue, but if it is intermittent they are going to have a difficult time diagnosing the problem.

Did your dealer look at data from the OBDII port?

Did your dealer perform the ISG TSB? This is very important because this TSB patch resolved a lot of issues with the ISG system.

You can sign up on the KGIS site to check this out. Information for KGIS is posted all over this forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got the same ISG not auto starting, about once a week, on Kia Ceed SW (manual). Clutch in - motor does not start, ISG counter continue to count untill started with the key.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5
2 Posts
ISG not restarting

The ISG in my 2013 Rio 5 is having the same problem: Stop at an intersection, engine shuts off, but does not always successfully start again when you remove your foot from the brake. I've taken it to the dealer, and also got the, "Cannot reproduce the problem" response.

THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE, AND IS A SEVERE SAFETY ISSUE. Imagine a scenario where a car is coming up behind you as the light changes. Noticing the light has changed, that driver is going to expect you to move. Someone will eventually get hit because of this malfunctioning "feature," and the lawsuits will begin.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE... Just give me an option to permanently disable the ISG!!!

·
Registered
13 Rio 5 EX Auto & 05 Crysler T&C & 52 Ford 8N
42 Posts
I wish the ISG computer had a voice activated component - so rather than just stopping the engine, it would actually say "I am about to stop, OK?" and give the driver 2 seconds to respond with either "Yes - go ahead" or "Ah, No, not just now thanks - very decent of you to offer, and I understand your green intentions, but actually I can see that traffic ahead is starting to move and in about 2.5 seconds from now you will just have to hit the starter solenoid and grind that bendix, so hey lets not bother." (or words to that effect). :p

I understand the concept of ISG - to save fuel & reduce emisions - but sometimes that computer needs to read the road better! I worry about the extra wear&tear on each component part from the battery through to the gear teeth on the starter/engine. I also worry that its controlled by a computer program and takes input from many sensors. Facts: Computer programs have bugs. Components wear out.

I especially dislike when I pull into a parking space - and stop - and ISG stops engine - but then when you shift to Park it triggers* a restart - and then - you turn the key to OFF - thus one totally wasted engine start cycle. (*or is it taking the foot of the brake, as you are now in park that triggers it?). In this situation I've taken to turning the ignition OFF and then shifting to Park - however - the side effect of this is a loud whine from the passenger seat.

Now a more serious concern - I can't prove this - but my wife was with me and we both heard/felt "something" : We pulled into parking space, braked to standstill, and then . . . it sounded/felt like the ISG 'stop' and 'start' components were fighting each other - no grinding of gears or other nasty noises but just a sensation that the engine was stopping and immediately restarting and immediately stopping - my swift reaction was to turn the ignition off. After a few moments of silence and worried looks - we restarted, and re-stopped and all was OK, and indeed has been for the 7 days since then.

I know there is an over-ride switch - but I wish it would 'remember' its last setting - also I wish it was located on the steering wheel. I think the switch is difficult to locate quickly - especially as when I seem to need to hit it is when I've read the road ahead and decided that I don't need ISG for this coming stop - so now I'm in a race between finding the switch and braking for the traffic ahead. Not a good time to take eyes of the road.

I love my Rio - but ISG, I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
13 Rio 5 EX Auto & 05 Crysler T&C & 52 Ford 8N
42 Posts
re-reading my own post - it was overly negative - don't get me (totally) wrong, there are times when ISG is excellent . . . its just that I'd like to hear other's views. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I've sometimes considered trying for improved economy by regularly stopping the engine and manually restarting my conventional non-ISG, but seems a fairly silly idea; just slightly sillier than getting the car to do it for you (i.e. the ISG option).

I suppose the boffins have tested the improvement in economy in city traffic, but I wonder how bad the traffic would have to be before ISG is worthwhile?

I have always foreseen problems with ISG when you are manoeuvering the car in tight situations or doing 3-point turns. I've also worried about the scenario of pulling into the garage and getting distracted before moving the transmission to Park, and then driving unintentionally into the wall.

There's also the worry about the monitoring software that checks that everything is OK before activating ISG. Is it reliable?

No, it's not for me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes

I have made the same exact comments in previous posts. The KIA version of ISG is not ready for prime time. Why in the world would you develop a system that shuts the car off at Stop signs or whenever you shift into park - and then re-start the car again! This is CRAZY. There are some good points for sure, but right now the bad outweigh the good. I'm hoping for some logic tweaks in a TSB, but I'm not sure if KIA reps even bother reading forums like this one. I emailed KIA directly about my concerns with ISG, but I never received a response - go figure.

Obviously the "ISG Off" button was an afterthought, and I totally agree it should be mounted on the steering wheel (for safety) and retain its last on/off state when you shut off the ignition. I can't believe they would constantly default ISG to "on" everytime you start the car. Again - CRAZY Logic

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX Sedan 2012 Acura TL Advanced, 2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
26 Posts
I turn it off while driving. I used it for one tank full and gained nothing in mpg and got a lot of start/stop.

·
Registered
116 Posts
In my opinion, ISG is just a sales pitch ... for ANY car that has it... it does more harm to your vehicle than necessary, and dosent increase your mpg... if you are stopped in traffic for 10 to 15 minutes, your car uses so little gas id personally have it running than shutting it off and on 10 times a day.

But we must think of the children and their children and the future children of the earth. Sorry, just needed to vent a little.....

cheers

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
I agree about the ISG, not something I would consider (mind you I live out in the country) but having said that,

each minute of idling is equivalent to driving 1 km. If you are stopped for more than a couple of minutes or you figure it will be some time turn off your engine, it takes less fuel to restart it that what you are using sitting idling and much better for the environment.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I agree about the ISG, not something I would consider (mind you I live out in the country) but having said that, each minute of idling is equivalent to driving 1 km.
Eh? Driving 1 km in 1 minute is 60 km/h. Are you saying that idling is as thirsty as driving at 60 km/h?

I've seen idling consumption quoted as about 1.2 litres/hour. Driving 60 km in 1 hour will consume about 5 litres in the average car. 2 litre car used as an example.

http://www.transportation.anl.gov/pdfs/idling_worksheet_light-duty.pdf

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes your mileage MPG is 0mpg when you idle and yes it is better for the environment if you are not idling, BUT, your engine on idle has no load and is VERY efficient (not mileage efficient). Im sure this car would go a couple of days idling before it ran our of gas.. there is NO WAY its going to use the same as driving 1km, especially from a stop as you have to account for acceleration, which is the hardest on fuel consumption.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
there is NO WAY its going to use the same as driving 1km, especially from a stop as you have to account for acceleration, which is the hardest on fuel consumption.
The issue is fuel consumption at idle, not at acceleration. Both ISG cars and non ISG cars will accelerate the same and use the same fuel after the idle period.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts