Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5, Deep Blue, Auto
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had my Rio5 for a week now and I'm enjoying the car so far.

My only issue is the the ISG system. A few days after taking delivery of the car, ISG stopped kicking in at red lights and the ISG off button would be lit every time I'm stopped. When I release the brake, the light would turn off. To reactivate ISG, I'd have to press the ISG button while stopped and ISG would kick in next time I'm stopped. I would have to do this every time I get in my car.

I realize that ISG only works in certain conditions but those conditions seem very narrow if ISG can't work under normal situations, thus rendering the feature useless.

Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas how I can have ISG always on? Is there any way to reset the system or something?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
Where are you located, didn't think those specific models had been sold yet. I presume it must be a 2013 model.

I think with that new system you are going to have a hard time finding anyone to help you as it was never available last year (they pulled it due to initial problems).

Any ideas how I can have ISG always on? Is there any way to reset the system or something?
thought you answered this question by the ISG deactivation button which is on the left side of the steering column. This turns the system ON and OFF. Must meet the conditions stated on section 5, page 42 in your manual.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 Eco with ISG
4 Posts
When it is hot out and you have the air conditioning on, if you want ISG to work, you need to turn the air off when you go to stop, or the engine will not stop. Air conditioning cant run without the engine running.

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
I remember reading something about this system being over-rated. Does it even have any benefits? does it strain the car a lot?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
I remember reading something about this system being over-rated. Does it even have any benefits? does it strain the car a lot?
many things are "beefed" up to compensate for this system. It was suppose to be out in 2012 models but got pulled by KIA due to initial problems, so was never released.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 Eco with ISG
4 Posts
They beefed up the starter and the battery to compensate for any issues with stop/start.

It is nice in stop and go chicago crap traffic. If most of your driving is highway without stop lights or traffic, it will not be of much use

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I always wondered if ISG would drive you into a wall if you parked it and were then distracted.

System sounds overly complicated; everything has to be "just right" for ISG to work. More stuff to go wrong. I would be worried about a no-start situation in unfamiliar territory.

Only time I idle the car for any length of time is at roadworks on country roads. It's usually hot, so I need the A/C and the wait is only 15 minutes or so. Hate the thought that car wouldn't start "out bush".

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
My Selling Dealer said that ISG was the reason the 2013 model year was introduced so early( In Canada anyway).Personally my 2013 SX doesn't have it(& I wouldn't want it) & it's a $400 option on the LX.That buys a lot of gas!!

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
System sounds overly complicated; everything has to be "just right" for ISG to work. More stuff to go wrong. I would be worried about a no-start situation in unfamiliar territory.
It'd be nice in typical Sydney weather, when you're stuck in the CBD.

I have a dealership loaner car at the moment, and its an auto. My right foot is getting tired holding the brake all the time.
Aside from just whacking it into neutral, I reckon this would be awesome.

Even though neutral is easier. Heh.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5, Deep Blue, Auto
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i used to think systems like ISG were gimmicky but then after having it for a week and a half, i realized that i'm stopped at a light multiple times during a typical commute. the gas i save when ISG does kick in must add up in the long term. thats a big thing in vancouver where gas is the most expensive in canada.

back to my original topic, my ISG seemed to work on my way home today. hopefully it continues to do so.

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
yeah i used to think systems like ISG were gimmicky but then after having it for a week and a half, i realized that i'm stopped at a light multiple times during a typical commute. the gas i save when ISG does kick in must add up in the long term. thats a big thing in vancouver where gas is the most expensive in canada.

back to my original topic, my ISG seemed to work on my way home today. hopefully it continues to do so.
You might save on gas in city driving but they will get at you for the new battery and starter.
I do turn engine off/on on long lights but if your thingy shuts off at Every red light and then starts again... well... that is a lot of cranking.
And what will happen if it does NOT start and you get nailed by big SUV behind you?
I still prefer to turn engine off, pull the brake and relax than hold brake 1-2 minutes; but you might build your legs that way; who knows, maybe that was the idea for those living in a car :)))

1 - 12 of 12 Posts