Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my first CEL in my Sportage. I got code p0101 so I went ahead and replaced my maf, reset ecu and now it is actually running MUCH MUCH worse. Bogging down, will not idle, stalling, missing. Brand new maf, so it is not it. I am getting the same code p0101 BUT with p0123. So I suspected that the TPS was now failing, yes this is weird, back to back and replaced the TPS sensor.

Now reset, replaced new maf, new tps sensor, now I get p0505 idle air code. I wanted to get some thoughts on this before I go replacing something else. Think it is the iacv? Could something be leading to these failures? I also used a brand new filter and have not cleaned the old filter. I cleaned the IACV with no luck, still sputtering, stalling worse so when cold and having a hard time keeping idle. Runs OK down the road, seems to want to coast when you let off the gas, you know when you let off, idle drops, not doing that now, speeds up actually. Seems kinda like it has lost some power also.

Another thing I noticed is that the engine sounds like it is taking in a lot more air than normal, I can hear it sucking in the air, way more than normal. What would be causing this? Even at idle, you can hear it, not normal at all.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,243 Posts
You've tried most things, so doesn't leave much to suggest, but how about the possibility of an injector no shutting off completely?

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Worth a shot, I went ahead and ordered a new IACV, be in this week, but Ron how do I test the injector thought.

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Oh wait one other thing, the gasket on the iacv has a little tear in it, doesn't seem like much but could this possibly trigger the p0505
Is the blade type thing inside the iacv supposed to come back if you move it? Mine does not. Just wondering how this thing works.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,243 Posts
Worth a shot, I went ahead and ordered a new IACV, be in this week, but Ron how do I test the injector thought.
I've not done it myself, but cranking the engine with the injectors discharging into a glass is what I've read and heard others do.

·
Super Moderator
11,243 Posts
Oh wait one other thing, the gasket on the iacv has a little tear in it, doesn't seem like much but could this possibly trigger the p0505
Is the blade type thing inside the iacv supposed to come back if you move it? Mine does not. Just wondering how this thing works.
The gasket leak could allow a little more air into the intake and cause higher idle RPM, but I doubt that it causing the issue - if stuck without a gasket you could coat the existing one with Vaseline, or cut a new paper one and coat it with Vaseline - Silicone sealant is tempting for this, but can poison the O2 sensor.

The IAC should spring back to it's neutral position.

P0505 IAC (Idle Air Control) System Malfunction

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The IAC should spring back to it's neutral position.
It does not always do this. What is the screw on the end of it? Is it for adjustment or any sorts?

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW Ron, thanks for your help, much appreciated!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,243 Posts
Testing the ISCA do I check the opening coil resistance and the closing? Or just one of them? I cannot find this info on kiatech. all I find is
Yes, failure of any one of the coils will cause a malfunction - bad connections are more common that coil failures.

The resistance between 1 & 2 and between 2 & 3 should be similar.

Opening Coil Resistance(Ω)14.6 ~ 16.2 [20°C(68°F)
Closing Coil Resistance(Ω)11.1 ~ 12.7 [20°C(68°F)

3. Measure resistance between ISCA terminals 2 and 1 [Opening Coil].
4. Measure resistance between ISCA terminals 2 and 3 [Closing Coil].
5. Check that the resistance is within the specification.

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, well, well, after digging and digging, replacing the maf, iac, plugs, air filter, I finally found the issue.
It had nothing to do with a bad part at all. On the intake tube, on the underside, there is a little silencer type thing. Low and behold, just sitting there staring at the car in puzzlement, it looked to me as something was missing. Sure enough, the clamp for this little silencer thing must have lossened up and let go, leaving a huge hole in the intake and no silencer. Got a new one and bam, cel gone, car runs great now.
just something I never thought of looking at or for, out of sight out of mind.
If you have idle issues, make sure you take a complete look at the entire intake system, dont always think a part is bad.

Thanks for all the suggestions though, much help....

·
Super Moderator
11,243 Posts
I got code p0101 so I went ahead and replaced my maf
Hind sight is always 20/20

That code should prompt an inspection of the intake tube from the MAF to TB.

Good that you've got it going and now have a few spare parts that you're unlikely to need - can you return them, or eBay them ?

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The maf I am keeping as it was under 20 bucks from an elantra (get parts cheaper buying elantra parts). ICV was returned, plugs needed changing anyways, and needed a new air filter too.
It (the silencer)was there at the replacment of the maf, but maybe when I was installing the new maf, I giggled the silencer off and never thought of it after that as it was all inspected before the maf install.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts