Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Sephia 1.8
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to idle fine until engine warmes up. Once temp is up the engine will stall when stopping or slow roll. Runs fine when at crusing speed...
Any Ideas?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1996 Kia Sephia GS
120 Posts
Have you adjusted the idle screw under the hood?

Have you checked for obstructions? Someone put duct tape under mine to keep the idle up, worked good until engine got warm, tape got soft and then it idled like crap.

Is the battery good? (can cause all kinds of weird problems) holding a charge and outputting at correct voltage.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,240 Posts
Have you adjusted the idle screw under the hood?
Lets hope the OP hasn't done just that - the throttle valve minimum position stop screw should never be adjusted.
The Idle Air Control valve (IAC or ISC) regulates the idle speed.

Have you checked for obstructions? Someone put duct tape under mine to keep the idle up, worked good until engine got warm, tape got soft and then it idled like crap.

Is the battery good? (can cause all kinds of weird problems) holding a charge and outputting at correct voltage.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,240 Posts
Seems to idle fine until engine warmes up. Once temp is up the engine will stall when stopping or slow roll. Runs fine when at crusing speed...
Any Ideas?
Thanks!!
It sounds like a sticky Idle Air Control valve (IAC or ISC), and can often be cured by cleaning it with carb cleaner.

·
Registered
1996 Kia Sephia GS
120 Posts
If someone who didnt know what they were doing adjusted it, it would be wrong to adjust it back?

Someone adjusted mine and had stuck duct tape under the cable. Car would run fine for a little bit than turned to crap. Putting the screw back where I thought it should be and removing duct tape fixed my issue.

Never adjust or not it fixed my problem. Why include it and make it adjustable if you should never adjust it? It gives a how to in my chiltons (or haynes) manual.

·
Super Moderator
11,240 Posts
If someone who didnt know what they were doing adjusted it, it would be wrong to adjust it back?

Someone adjusted mine and had stuck duct tape under the cable. Car would run fine for a little bit than turned to crap. Putting the screw back where I thought it should be and removing duct tape fixed my issue.

Never adjust or not it fixed my problem. Why include it and make it adjustable if you should never adjust it? It gives a how to in my chiltons (or haynes) manual.
How did you figure out "where you thought it should be" ?

It is factory set to give a specific clearance between the butterfly and valve body - a wire gauge is used to measure this clearance - it is left at this position and all idle speed control is done by the IAC/ISC.

From the KiaTech web site:
The Throttle Stop Sccrew is factory set and must not be adjusted. Any adjustment will negatively affect the engine performance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 Kia Sephia GS
120 Posts
Figured out as the car stopped loping and trying to die at idle

Whoever had it before boogered the hell out of that tiny screw, my dad thinks they had the wrong tool or thought it controlled something else.

Someone stuck a duct tape ball stuck under the pully/wire and that tiny screw was way off and it looked like someone used a phillips and just ground the top out. When we removed the duct tape the car wouldnt stay running, adjusting the screw until the car was at an even 750 RPMs with no studder or loping we left it at that.

IAC and all those emission parts were good so that just left us with that screw unless there is something else we missed.

Took car to a mechanic shop and muffler/exhaust shop they couldnt figure it out and said everything was fine. So we just did it. My manual haynes or chiltons cant ever remember which it is gives detailed instructions on changing this adjustment screw which we followed.

*edit*
sorry late reply, had no internet for a bit.

·
Super Moderator
11,240 Posts
Understood that someone who had the car before you was clueless and incorrectly adjusted the throttle stop screw, however the point I was attempting to make is that adjusting the throttle stop screw should not be suggested as a fix for the typical idle speed control problem.

·
Registered
1996 Kia Sephia GS
120 Posts
No not for typical idle problem sure, thats usually vacuum, maf or IAC.

Yeah whoever had the car before got screwed by auto mechanics. I doubt they ever did any job listed on the sheets I found correctly, ive had to fix so many stupid things that even someone who knows nothing about cars would do.

(youd think youd want that cv nut tight on the outside of the cv shaft but oh no, local repair place in town didnt tighten it at all you could unscrew by hand)

·
Registered
1996 Kia Sephia GS
120 Posts
Weird
I went back to read my manual
its not referred to as the throttle valve minimum position stop screw

but as an idle adjustment screw with a page on how to adjust it. (jumpering and then adjusting screw in 1/4 turn increments.)

Odd that Haynes would mess that up. If you are truely never supposed to touch it, this is probably why everyone does. It says you can and details how to do it.

·
Registered
Kia Sephia 98
2 Posts
Good day,

regarding idle issue. does anyone here knows what year is a Kia Sephia that does not have dashpot?

my sephia does not have that and looking at the kiatechinfo, drawings have dashpots included.
Also my throttle body has different configuration. Is my car a hybrid or an outcast?

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts