Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forté 5 SX
93 Posts
If you are replacing incandescent bulbs with LED equivalent bulbs confirm that the LED units have the proper resistance to appear as incandescent bulbs. Some no-name LEDs do not have proper resistance.

Newer vehicles have more and more electronic controls for lighting. So adding or even reducing normal lighting load on a circuit may "confuse" the processor, perhaps making it think there's a short or a burned out bulb. On an unmodified vehicle, I don't want to go very far from stock wattage on any lights.

Additional information can be found at: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?357248-What-are-the-benefits-of-switching-to-LED-bulbs-in-a-car

USA NE Ohio
2017 Kia Forte 5SX 1600cc turbocharged 6-speed manual transmission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Forté 5 SX
93 Posts
Yes, I have researched and found Sylvania manufacturers the Zevo LED series that are designed for newer cars. I started with cheap $5 LED bulb replacements; they wore great for intermittent use but NOT constant service. Make sure the replacement lights offer adequate heat sinking to dissipate heat. See following for more information.

USA NE Ohio
2017 Kia Forte 5SX 1600cc turbocharged 6-speed manual transmission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 1.6 CRDi 2018
19 Posts
I thought Ali Alsager literally meant he wanted to change the tail light. The entire assembly not just the light bulbs. Lower equipment versions like mine use a different tail light design that takes incadescent light bulbs. I don't know from which equipment level up Sportages come fitted with rear LED lights, but in Greece pretty much all Sportages have the incadescent bulb design, which looks OK but nowhere near as good as the LED design. I don't know if these two parts are interchangeable though. The connector may be different.

·
Registered
2017 Forté 5 SX
93 Posts
I thought Ali Alsager literally meant he wanted to change the tail light. The entire assembly not just the light bulbs. Lower equipment versions like mine use a different tail light design that takes incadescent light bulbs. I don't know from which equipment level up Sportages come fitted with rear LED lights, but in Greece pretty much all Sportages have the incadescent bulb design, which looks OK but nowhere near as good as the LED design. I don't know if these two parts are interchangeable though. The connector may be different.
Most incandescent bulbs can be replaced with LED equivalent bulbs. Skip no-name, generic LEDs; they are a waste of your cash. In the USA I’d recommend Sylvania replacement LEDs. They are designed with adequate heat sink protection for enclosed LED lamps.
USA, NE Ohio
2017 Kia Forté 5SX, 1.6L, turbocharged, 6-speed manual transmission

1 - 7 of 7 Posts