Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio EX 6M 5-door
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the one that you need to engage to start but the other one. on the left side.

It affects how the car shifts. Makes it more jerky. And makes stabs of the gas pedal make the car unstable which is ok. It also disables the shift up indicator.

Did i do any harm or is there any other purpose of this connector?

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
The Service Manual shows only one brake light switch. It goes to the ESC module. To remove the switch turn it 45 degrees CCW. I don't know what the second switch is used for.

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 LX Manual, '15 ZX14R, Honda VFR800, Ducati 748, '87 Buick Grand National, '13 Subaru BRZ
101 Posts
"i removed a wire connector the clutch pedal"

Why did you do this? Are you randomly disconnecting things to see what happens???

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
Not the one that you need to engage to start but the other one. on the left side.

It affects how the car shifts. Makes it more jerky. And makes stabs of the gas pedal make the car unstable which is ok. It also disables the shift up indicator.

Did i do any harm or is there any other purpose of this connector?

Reconect the wire, problem solved!!!!!!!!!! I would stop taking wires off if I were you.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio EX 6M 5-door
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Removing this wire makes my car accelerate significantly quicker. I still haven't figured out what it is.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio, 2010 Mercedes Benz C300, 2005 Ponitiac GTO, 2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT
1,116 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Sportage LX, 2015 Kia Soul EX, 2010 Can-Am Spyder RT, 2008 Kawasaki KLR650
123 Posts
Cruise does not work with it removed.

I put a switch in so I get either power and performance when wanted, and back to highway cruise when on highway and needing the Cruise control.

If you keep it off your stability/traction control will come one, but will run properly.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio, 2010 Mercedes Benz C300, 2005 Ponitiac GTO, 2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT
1,116 Posts
I thought not. I don't know what it's actual function is upstream from the switch but at the clutch it senses clutch pedal depressed/clutch pedal not depressed. Cruise control shouldn't work if that switch is open or the wire removed because the car senses that the clutch is depressed.

·
Registered
2013 Rio EX, 2012 Sedona LX
154 Posts
How can removing a wire from a clutch pedal switch increase performance? Maybe a placebo effect..?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I fail to see how removing a wire could lead to increase in performance -- the clutch system isn't drive by wire, it's mechanical. Cutting that wire does nothing physical to increase power or clutch engagement.

You admitted that cutting the wire makes shifts more jerky, why would you want that anyway? Even if there was a magical 10% improvement by cutting the wire, is it worth destroying your clutch or gears?

There's a reason the wire is there - I'd highly suggest putting it back on. Especially from a safety standpoint.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
It must have an effect on the settings i.e. fuel map, spark timing etc. when the clutch is depressed. Removing the wire makes the computer think the clutch is depressed. The OP is not the only person who had done this.

·
Registered
2013 Rio EX, 2012 Sedona LX
154 Posts
That makes me want to try it LoL, however messing with timing and the like cannot be a good thing in the long run.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Ours is an automatic but it doesn't sound like something I'd want to try if it were a stick.

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 Lx
17 Posts
I bought my 2012 LX hatch new. I noticed a lot of lag between shifting from 1st and 2nd. After researching on the veloster forums I saw a post about this switch.

Clutch switch mod, always on trial

It seems like it is part of the emission system. From what some of the veloster guys and gals have gathered, the switch interacts with the throttle body and closes it much slower therefore causing an RPM hang. It also seems to affect throttle input when shifting.

I've driven my Rio with it disconnected for a few years now. To me it makes it drive like and old school manual, which is what I am used to. It removes the lag between shifts and also turns off the stupid shift indicator.

However, it does show a light that is similar to the one for the traction control but it stays on. I've asked some kia techs about it and they really didn't have an answer for me. You will notice the motor rocking and jerking more with it unplugged. That is due to the super soft motor and transmission mounts.

Next month I will be replacing my lower mounts with some 65a urethane mounts from Rev Motoring. They are meant for the veloster, but they use the same mount as the Rio.

I will report back after changing them to give an update on how it drives.

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 Lx
17 Posts
As promised, I am reporting back after replacing the bushings in the lower mount. I went with the Rev Motoring 65a mounts (the neon green ones).

The install was straight forward and simple once I got the bushings pressed into the mount using a bench vise.

These mounts definitely stiffen things up. I no longer feel like in going to break something when shifting hard during spirited driving. I am still running with the clutch switch unplugged and TC off. On wet surfaces I used to have some wheel hop issues if I hit the gas a little too hard, that is gone now. The drivetrain is much more compliant with rev matching on downshifts as well.

With any mount change you will feel more vibration from the vehicle, and these are no different. My old trucks had very stiff mounts, one of which was a 72 C10 with a 383 and a very lumpy cam so I am used to driving a rattling vehicle. The vibrations are very noticeable between 900 and about 1200 rpm, especially with the AC on. Once your moving the vibrations go away for the most part. They have softened up with driving over the past week and I expect they will continue to do so as they break in a little more.

All in all, it was a worthwhile upgrade for me and very inexpensive. The stock bushings are a joke. I could collapse them in my hand, almost felt like foam haha.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts