Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'09 Kia Rio sx
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Porting the head was really worth the time and effort! It idles the same, haven't lost power in any RPM range(it didn't have power in any RPM range!) and it actually accelerates when you step on the gas. It even sounds nice when you do so. Even when driving normally you don't have to press the gas pedal as much to get moving. Just letting people know that these cars aren't hopeless. It could use a bigger exhaust pipe for more improvement, but this is really good for no other mods!

·
Registered
Custom 2010 Kia Rio lx
9 Posts
Porting the head was really worth the time and effort! It idles the same, haven't lost power in any RPM range(it didn't have power in any RPM range!) and it actually accelerates when you step on the gas. It even sounds nice when you do so. Even when driving normally you don't have to press the gas pedal as much to get moving. Just letting people know that these cars aren't hopeless. It could use a bigger exhaust pipe for more improvement, but this is really good for no other mods!

Def gonna consider this, currently working on a turbo build on mine. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Kia Rio Pride JB 1.4 4GEE 2011 RHD
19 Posts
Hi, it's there any picture, which area did you ported.? Mine is 1.4 G4EE. Not the 1.6. Any reference would help me. My odo 117000 km. I consider porting if there significant effect. Now I just remove the CC and put a header 4-1. Accelerate 0-100 km cut 1 sec. Test with OBD and torque meter apps.. Hhhh

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Reo5, 2006
5 Posts
I'm 86 yrs old. I've ported too many heads to count. Porting always makes a big difference, especially on low-cost 4-cyl engines. I have some nice equipment to do this with, starting with a serious, variable speed, ¼HP flexible shaft grinder. Used to have a smoke/flow chamber, but had to sell it when I moved. But I will always cc the combustion area - a simple and worthwhile task.

How much "meat" is there in the ports that I can remove/polish? Don't want to get into the water galleries - too much hassle!

I love my 1.6 manual 2006 Reo5 (200,000 Km). If I can find a used head in a breaker yard. I'm going to do one ... don't want to risk it with the one on the car.

·
Registered
'09 Kia Rio sx
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recommend a 1.6L head because the valves are bigger than the older ones. The dividers between the valves are really thick, and the exhaust side is even thicker than that! Apparently, there is reasonable wall thickness to effect a good port shape because though the intake ports aren't terrible, the exhaust ports are unbelievably bad- plus, the exhaust valve stem thickens into the port, adding to the blockage of flow out. I did remove some aluminum there, trying to get a smoother bend for the exhaust to be more easily pushed out, and I didn't expose water jacket. I've been driving around with the ported head for a few months now without complications.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts