Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tried one of those off the shelf tunes(stage 2) for my 2017 ex. It states it takes about 2 weeks for it to take full effect and I know there is a lot of debate for these vs a true dyno tune done by a shop in person but I thought for $150 ... i'd try it lol so far it feels like its made a difference. it feels like it responds a little better and shifts a little nicer. just my two cents.

I also ordered a 40MM lift kit which should be here any day. plan on getting a roof rack, side rails, building my own front brush guard and possibly my own rear mount swing spare tire holder. oh as well as some more aggressive tires to match the lift.

I already installed a sub in the rear and I might start looking for some interior mods/accessories I can add.

Just thought I'd share. I will share some pics asap of the lift and sub box. basically a very basic build thread starting here ;)

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
42 Posts
I just ordered the sprint booster a week ago! I'll let you know how it goes. Here's my lil kia soft roader at the moment. Getting ready for a 10 days camping trip on Vancouver Island. Currently. It has a 30mm leveling kit, and 245/65/17 KO2 on 8 inch wide wheels. Saving up for the bilstein strut and eibach springs at the moment....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ha ha that's awesome!! thanks a ton for the photo! any rubbing when you turn? I want to get the biggest tires I can on mine. I think the brush guard is going to really set it off as well.

have fun on your camping trip. is that the island where they filmed the "alone"series?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
42 Posts
Haha apparently there some ppl on here that like to do silly things to their Kias!

There is slight rubbing at full crank but I haven't even tried to melt or cut back the plethora of plastic in these wheel wells. Soon tho.

It is the same island where that was filmed Haha, beautiful and creepy...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are watching that show right now. we just found and love those kind of show. we are really into camping and survival our selves.

i'm going with this roof rack:

and these side rails:

and then I plan on making my own brush guard.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
42 Posts
We are watching that show right now. we just found and love those kind of show. we are really into camping and survival our selves.

i'm going with this roof rack:

and these side rails:

and then I plan on making my own brush guard.
Nice! Yeah we love getting out camping and are really lucky to be surrounded by some of the most beautiful scenes here in BC!

I also have an extended cargo basket that I will use in winter or when my RTT isn't on top. I originally had the tent on top of the basket, but my Annex room and ladder had a hard time hitting the ground lol.

A friend and I are going to design a skid plate and hopefully incorporate a brush guard combo. I really like the tube bumpers out for Subaru's but man are they pricey!

Stoked to see the progress on your build!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh ya skid plate!! I didn't think about that... i'm on it lol

yes, you are in a beautiful area. we want to take a trip up that way one day.

please post any mods you do to yours going forward as well. I love seeing others creativity.

Brian

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
42 Posts
oh ya skid plate!! I didn't think about that... i'm on it lol

yes, you are in a beautiful area. we want to take a trip up that way one day.

please post any mods you do to yours going forward as well. I love seeing others creativity.

Brian
Absolutely! Maybe we will have a KDM soft roader rally in BC?

That would be mint. Please post pics going forward too!
My Kia's instagram account is @kekeoverland if you want to follow our adventures!

All the best,
Kalki

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX Turbo - Black / Beige
2,025 Posts
Absolutely! Maybe we will have a KDM soft roader rally in BC?

That would be mint. Please post pics going forward too!
My Kia's instagram account is @kekeoverland if you want to follow our adventures!

All the best,
Kalki
hey keep us posted guys on your progress. I've often wondered just how far you can take a Sportage off road.....i know, until you get stuck right?

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX Turbo - Black / Beige
2,025 Posts
So I tried one of those off the shelf tunes(stage 2) for my 2017 ex. It states it takes about 2 weeks for it to take full effect and I know there is a lot of debate for these vs a true dyno tune done by a shop in person but I thought for $150 ... i'd try it lol so far it feels like its made a difference. it feels like it responds a little better and shifts a little nicer. just my two cents.

I also ordered a 40MM lift kit which should be here any day. plan on getting a roof rack, side rails, building my own front brush guard and possibly my own rear mount swing spare tire holder. oh as well as some more aggressive tires to match the lift.

I already installed a sub in the rear and I might start looking for some interior mods/accessories I can add.

Just thought I'd share. I will share some pics asap of the lift and sub box. basically a very basic build thread starting here ;)

Thanks
Brian
and BTW, your 2017 2.4L is not a V6, not to pick nits....

·
Registered
2019 Sportage SX Turbo AWD
21 Posts
if you got the 40MM lift that I did (ready lift?) let me know if you also get any CV axle rattle under hard acceleration, not much but I notice it a bit. I also run larger AT tires with full size spare and some other goodies. off road lights to come as well. cool to see a few others do the same!

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage lx awd
56 Posts
if you got the 40MM lift that I did (ready lift?) let me know if you also get any CV axle rattle under hard acceleration, not much but I notice it a bit. I also run larger AT tires with full size spare and some other goodies. off road lights to come as well. cool to see a few others do the same! View attachment 115617 View attachment 115618
Those are the same side steps i want to get. Great scenic pic btw! Looks like fun!

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX AWD
550 Posts
which lift kit did yall use? is it generic or for specific vehicles?

hope that tuner works for you.

i don't have a lift, just went with a 1 size taller tire 235/60R18

only off roading is surf fishing at the beach

·
Registered
2019 Sportage SX Turbo AWD
21 Posts
which lift kit did yall use? is it generic or for specific vehicles?

hope that tuner works for you.

i don't have a lift, just went with a 1 size taller tire 235/60R18

only off roading is surf fishing at the beach

not sure about the 3Gen Sportage, I believe its a different suspension setup front and rear compared to the 4th gen that this thread is about.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AHH!! I didn't get notified there was posts in this thread. sorry guys for not replying.

I did the tune... They claim it takes two weeks for the tune to learn and effect so it was really hard to gage a difference but I think trying to be unbiased against a cheap tune... I feel a little more in get up and go. for example once I get up over 3k rpms and give it about 3/4 throttle it seems to be a smoother stronger pull through the gear. not neck snappy but I didn't expect much from a $150 tune lol. the shifting seems to be a little better as well.

I have not received my lift kit yet :mad:. really bummed, I should have checked shipping before I ordered it. turns out after I inquired, its coming from china... through Russia :cautious:. So I don't know when it will get here.

Tink, after seeing your pic of your kia on those hills.. I i'm sold on the roof rack and side skirts.. you kia looks great!!! putting a brush guard on your ride.. viola .. perfection lol

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
42 Posts
Just been playing around with my Sprint Booster and it seems to be working as advertised! It's more responsive and more fun to drive. I will let you know what it's like in the long term but for now, seems like a win.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
do you have a link to the sprint booster. I'm interested
:)

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
42 Posts
do you have a link to the sprint booster. I'm interested
:)
I took my friend out to test it (He's a car whiz with a doctorate in mechanical engineering). First, he was appalled by the stock tunes on my Kia, literally disgusted, and was surprised that manufacture would produce a vehicle with that much pedal lag just out of safety concerns.

He noticed a huge difference in throttle sensitivity and response and was surprised that the little booster made that much a difference. Again, no added HP, but drivability and response is a lot better! Not sure if it will work differently with non-turbo models...

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,243 Posts
I took my friend out to test it (He's a car whiz with a doctorate in mechanical engineering). First, he was appalled by the stock tunes on my Kia, literally disgusted, and was surprised that manufacture would produce a vehicle with that much pedal lag just out of safety concerns.

He noticed a huge difference in throttle sensitivity and response and was surprised that the little booster made that much a difference. Again, no added HP, but drivability and response is a lot better! Not sure if it will work differently with non-turbo models...
Manufacturers reduce throttle sensitivity because of liability concerns. They don't want someone stepping on the gas and hitting something because they don't have full control of the gas pedal. It's something the lawyers force car makers to do because someone will do that and sue them. All these boosters do is to give the car more throttle with less pedal push. You can get the same effect with a heavy foot. My sports cars have more aggressive settings than my Sportage. That said, for me, I do like the feel of a quicker acting gas pedal but my wife hates it -- and she drives the Sportage more than I do....

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
42 Posts
Manufacturers reduce throttle sensitivity because of liability concerns. They don't want someone stepping on the gas and hitting something because they don't have full control of the gas pedal. It's something the lawyers force car makers to do because someone will do that and sue them. All these boosters do is to give the car more throttle with less pedal push. You can get the same effect with a heavy foot. My sports cars have more aggressive settings than my Sportage. That said, for me, I do like the feel of a quicker acting gas pedal but my wife hates it -- and she drives the Sportage more than I do....
I understand what you're saying, but I don't completely agree with what I've experienced first hand from this device. I am the definition of a heavy foot driver and I can't match the response time of this thing. My girlfriend is a newer driver and actually has a harder time driving the normal tunes because they lag so much and have left her waiting in dangerous situations. I guess it doesn't matter who is right in this case, the point is Keke is much smoother and more fun to drive now!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts