Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drained the 6-speed automatic transmission on my 2013 Rio LX. Only 4.1 quarts drained out. I even jacked it up at different angles in order to get as much as possible to drain out. I thought that 7.7 quarts were supposed to drain out. WHY DIDN'T I GET 7.7 QUARTS?

·
Super Moderator
9,226 Posts
I drained the 6-speed automatic transmission on my 2013 Rio LX. Only 4.1 quarts drained out. I even jacked it up at different angles in order to get as much as possible to drain out. I thought that 7.7 quarts were supposed to drain out. WHY DIDN'T I GET 7.7 QUARTS?
You can't drain all the fluid from any auto transmission, ...... a large quantity resides in the torque converter.

You've got to do a few drain and fills to end up with mostly new fluid.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can't drain all the fluid from any auto transmission, ...... a large quantity resides in the torque converter.
I'm aware that fluid remains in the torque converter. I recall reading that a single drain will result in 7.7 quarts. I was expecting to get 7.7 quarts. I'm looking for clarification on how much fluid should... in fact... drain out.

·
Super Moderator
9,226 Posts
I'm aware that fluid remains in the torque converter. I recall reading that a single drain will result in 7.7 quarts. I was expecting to get 7.7 quarts. I'm looking for clarification on how much fluid should... in fact... drain out.
Why not find where you read that and post it here.
Impossible if your owners manual indicates that it only holds 7.7 quarts.

What does your owners manual say is the total volume/capacity of your transmission, and if it lists 7.7 quarts, then 4.1 quarts is all you'll be able to drain.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
About 4 quarts is right. That is what I got, each time, when I did a drain and fill two times. Thinking I am at about 80% new fluid now.

·
Super Moderator
9,226 Posts
You good with the clarification provided so far?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
BruceTR
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing