Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
KIA C'eed SW2 ecodynamic
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have had issues with my Cee'd SW since purchase, but most have been handled. the one that keeps rearing its ugly head is the ISG. It shuts the engine off at eh light as it should, but recently it has not restarted upon depressing the clutch and shifting. This has only happened 3 times on 3 different occasions. I was going to take it in next week, however, today the car has started something else. I was driving at to work and noticed ,at one point, when I shifted into third the car bucked a bit. I didn't realise what had happened until the second time. The car shut off while shifting from 2nd to third and then started again once I released the clutch..essentially like a push start. Later that today the engine light came on ....off to the shop tomorrow!

·
Registered
KIA C'eed SW2 ecodynamic
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The dealership called today to say that it was the fuel filter that caused the light to come on and needed replaced. This is not covered by warranty,of course. I have to say I am surprised that the fuel filter has to be replaced on a 2011 with only 10,000 miles. I know mileage doesn't really matter, but I have had 10 cars over the years and have only had to replace one fuel filter. That car had 139000 miles on it. I guess I'll see when I get it back if that was the issue

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
I had a similar problem on a Jeep at only about 10k miles and that too was identified as a fuel filter and once it was replaced the problem went and never reappeared over the next 70k miles.

It would not seem if the ISG problem is connected though.

Just a thought you hadn't undone your seatbelt while the car was stopped under ISG had you, say to reach and get something? As that disables the ISG re-start as does oppening a door.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
ISG is a turkey. There are many things that have to be "just right" for it to work that it's rather a handicap, particularly on a low-end car like the Cee'd. I've seen cost estimates of $400 to add ISG to a basic car, and I wonder if you would ever save that amount of fuel.

Particularly on a manual, any interference with the normal operation of the car would drive me crazy. I can think of a few scenarios where you wouldn't want the engine to stop for safety reasons. In remote regions of Oz, you NEVER turn off the engine during short stops.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
All ISG, Stop Go, Stop Start call it what you like does is improve consumption on the official tests. Does nothing in the real world. Have had a car with it for 5 years now.

However, it does have one useful feature, my car is £30 RFL a year, the identical car without stop start is £135 a year. A goodsaving but both cars do the same mpg in the real world.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
All ISG does is improve consumption on the official tests. Does nothing in the real world. Have had a car with it for 5 years now.

However, it does have one useful feature, my car is £30 RFL a year, the identical car without ISG is £135 a year. A good saving but both cars do the same mpg in the real world.
As I thought. I presume RFL is a "green" road tax; good that you have a personal benefit, but it seems like another bit of silliness dreamt up by the eco-enthusiasts.

I've never worried about fuel used during idling; figures given for consumption seem inflated to me. No, I've never tested it, but my cars idle so rarely that it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Only time my car is ever left to idle is during road-work stops, where it's necessary to wait for about 10 minutes. Believe me, you do not want to turn off the engine while sitting inside a car in the Nth. Qld. sun. If the car didn't start, there would be a very long wait, possibly in a location where there was no lay-by.

·
Registered
KIA C'eed SW2 ecodynamic
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a similar problem on a Jeep at only about 10k miles and that too was identified as a fuel filter and once it was replaced the problem went and never reappeared over the next 70k miles.

It would not seem if the ISG problem is connected though.

Just a thought you hadn't undone your seatbelt while the car was stopped under ISG had you, say to reach and get something? As that disables the ISG re-start as does oppening a door.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
No, I was always ready to shift and go as this is a new thing to me and I do not quite trust it. As far as consumption at idle, I could sit at a light or road work for 3 minutes and would drop 1mpg in that time and I would struggle to get it back. I know that the dash indication is not accurate, but it is accurate to 2mpg now.
Didn't get the car back as promised today(imagine that), they still need to try replacing the neutral ignition switch to see if it helps the cruise control and the loss of shift indication. Will update when I get it back.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
As far as consumption at idle, I could sit at a light or road work for 3 minutes and would drop 1mpg in that time and I would struggle to get it back.
The Vauxhall display switches to gallons/hour at idle and I am told it shows 0.3. No reason why this isn't typical for all cars. My Ceed shows I do an average of 30mph and 50mpg so that's 0.6 gall/hr. 3 minutes idling would certainly impinge on that.

But I can't imagine any circumstance where ISG would be useful. Better, but unlikely to be cost effective, would be an electric motor to take it through periods of <10 mph crawl.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
As I thought. I presume RFL is a "green" road tax; good that you have a personal benefit, but it seems like another bit of silliness dreamt up by the eco-enthusiasts.
RFL = Road Fund Licence = Taxation, its been around since the 50's to my knowledge possibly longer.

Before the RFL taxation was based on an ancient RAC Horse Power rating that was based on the bore and stoke of an engine, cars with long strokes and small bores paid less thus long stroke engine became the norm.

RFL was originally one price fits all but in the early 90's cars upto 1400cc were given a rate lover than cars over 1400cc.

The next change was a CO2 based RFL which is what we have now. Its to encourage buyers to get cars that are less polluting. The new Ceed CRDI for example is £0 for the first year and £0 a year after (like many cars in its class), you cannot get much cheaper than that. Buy a polluting 4 x 4 or something like a Porsche and its £1030 for the first year and £475 a year after. Even something relatively common like a Nissan 370Z is £815 for the first year and £460 a year after.

Makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
KIA C'eed SW2 ecodynamic
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well,the mechanic called just before close of business to apologise for not having completed the car today. That was considerate as usually it is a desk jockey that calls. He said he completed the recommended TRY by KIA TECH SUPPORT (replacing the neutral ignition switch) and when he tested it, the ISG worked on the run out, but crapped out in the way back to the shop. He wants to do more tests and even charge the battery as it was only showing 80% charge(he said this may be due to the cold weather this week) and see what he can come up with. So back to cramming my 19 stone 6'1" into my wife's Renault Clio. Thank goodness we still held onto it. Amazing what you get spoiled by in a matter of months. First thing I usually do is get blue tooth going for my imported tunes from my kindle fire, and then set cruise on the Kings Way. Today I just managed to caress the steering wheel with my thumb looking for the cruise, I swear I felt the Clio become a little perkier! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK, I have had issues with my Cee'd SW since purchase, but most have been handled. the one that keeps rearing its ugly head is the ISG. It shuts the engine off at eh light as it should, but recently it has not restarted upon depressing the clutch and shifting. This has only happened 3 times on 3 different occasions. I was going to take it in next week, however, today the car has started something else. I was driving at to work and noticed ,at one point, when I shifted into third the car bucked a bit. I didn't realise what had happened until the second time. The car shut off while shifting from 2nd to third and then started again once I released the clutch..essentially like a push start. Later that today the engine light came on ....off to the shop tomorrow!
We have the same problem on a 2012 Rio. The ISG intermittently fails to restart when pressing the clutch. Been back to dealer once, claimed a faulty clutch switch... happened twice since... about 1 in 3 times. They claim it could be cold weather... don't see why that would stop the restart, and why is it only sometimes?

This morning ...1st ISG , 2 mins from home worked, 2nd one 10 minutes later, didn't work, 3rd one 45 minutes later worked! All at about 1-3 Deg outside temp though.

·
Registered
KIA C'eed SW2 ecodynamic
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine doesn't happen that often,yet. I hate it when the dealers just start spouting verbal vomit. If it is too cold to operate, the dash light comes on when the clutch is first depressed when shifting to neutral. If it initially stops, then fail safe is to re-start if longer than 3 minutes, or temperature drops too low. It is not defaulted to not restart once process is initiated. Just too much technology, and not enough detailed training to go with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts