Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
well start up some convos get it moving you optima ppls.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Magentis
219 Posts
Ok..I'll go. I have a 02 magentis LX-V6. I love to do my own repairs and whatnot and especially now since my warranty just expired. So far, the best information I can find anywhere has been on this forum. Problems such as engine codes, modifications and the dreaded fuel filter.

It was time for my 92,000k tune up and I wanted to change the filter. Went to the auto store and they sold me the filter canister for $35.00 cdn but didnt know where it went. I went for a lube at Mr. Lube and they told me it doesnt have a filter. (sheesh).

I ended up going to the dealer and they changed the fuel filter for $70. I still dont know where or what exactly it is. A canister or tea bag.

Next time I change it I will look in the trunk as others have indicated here.

I'm tempted to get a subscription to Kia-tech.com. What have your experiences been?
Thanks all

·
Registered
11 Posts
ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ hum....I'm awake!!!!

So has any one ever race prepared an Optima? I'm always looking for the next endurance car....this could be it... Thoughts from anyone? :auto:

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Originally posted by canakia@Nov 29 2005, 09:35 AM
Ok..I'll go. I have a 02 magentis LX-V6. I love to do my own repairs and whatnot and especially now since my warranty just expired. So far, the best information I can find anywhere has been on this forum. Problems such as engine codes, modifications and the dreaded fuel filter.

It was time for my 92,000k tune up and I wanted to change the filter. Went to the auto store and they sold me the filter canister for $35.00 cdn but didnt know where it went. I went for a lube at Mr. Lube and they told me it doesnt have a filter. (sheesh).

I ended up going to the dealer and they changed the fuel filter for $70. I still dont know where or what exactly it is. A canister or tea bag.

Next time I change it I will look in the trunk as others have indicated here.

I'm tempted to get a subscription to Kia-tech.com. What have your experiences been?
Thanks all
My experience with my Optima has been great. All I have done at this point is rotate the tires and have done oil changes becasue I only have 10k miles on it. But when the warranty is gone I plan on doing all the work myself on it.

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Originally posted by redline@Nov 29 2005, 03:54 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ hum....I'm awake!!!!
So has any one ever race prepared an Optima? I'm always looking for the next endurance car....this could be it... Thoughts from anyone? :auto:
The Optima is one car I havent really seen out there as a car to race. Most use the Sephia or the Spectra. But dont get me wrong though its possible but just really havent seen it. Good luck and keep us posted on what you do.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
83 Posts
the main problem i see with people not racing the optima is that like me there alot of kia owners that bought an optima so they didnt have to drive their race cars to work. i learned along time ago its always better to drive a nice car with a nice stereo to work and back, then on the weekends drive the the ugly, roll caged, no a/c, no heat, super stiff kill your kidneys suspension, and super loud dumps after the turbo exhaust all out autocross racer. anyone that diagrees doesnt yet understand either the cost of keeping things like that together or the look on your childs face when you have to them that their father wont be able to take them to the circus because daddy blew a brake line on the highway and is stuck on the side of the road an hour away.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by bjm@Nov 30 2005, 01:25 AM
somebody with some body working skills needs to do this kinda work to an optima.

Two words "LIKE ****!!!" *shakes head* Man that Five Hundred looks FIERCE!!! KIA needs to get in gear and throw either the Optima or Amanti out on the race track! Give the rest a run for their money! W3RD!!! :57:

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by bjm@Nov 30 2005, 01:38 AM
the main problem i see with people not racing the optima is that like me there alot of kia owners that bought an optima so they didnt have to drive their race cars to work. i learned along time ago its always better to drive a nice car with a nice stereo to work and back, then on the weekends drive the the ugly, roll caged, no a/c, no heat, super stiff kill your kidneys suspension, and super loud dumps after the turbo exhaust all out autocross racer. anyone that diagrees doesnt yet understand either the cost of keeping things like that together or the look on your childs face when you have to them that their father wont be able to take them to the circus because daddy blew a brake line on the highway and is stuck on the side of the road an hour away.
Geez BJM, heh.. I don't know it first hand.. since I don't own a second car, let alone have the money to "rice" out what I've got.. heh.. but yeah.. pretty extreme!

·
Registered
11 Posts
BJM, your absolutley right on the money with not using your street car for racing. Done that...not good. :p Right now I'm just looking for the next race car to build. Something different than the rest of the group.

For now the family rides in the Amanti and I get the Optima to myself, so it will be ok to add a few nice after market parts to make the drive to work a little more fun! :grin:

The five hundreded looks great. Been looking around for a body kit for the optima ...no luck yet. I'll keep you guys posted on my adventures. :trophy:

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
83 Posts
Geez BJM, heh.. I don't know it first hand.. since I don't own a second car, let alone have the money to "rice" out what I've got.. heh.. but yeah.. pretty extreme!
are you calling me a ricer? :grin:

BJM, your absolutley right on the money with not using your street car for racing. Done that...not good. tongue.gif Right now I'm just looking for the next race car to build. Something different than the rest of the group.
get a merkur xr4ti, they are easy to make fast, easy to make handle well, easy to find real cheap ( i paid $500 for mine and all it needed was plugs and wires ), and $50 says no one in your area has one. well, they are inexpensive at first but just like anything can get crazy real quick.

merkur forums

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think I'll stay with my#16 Mazda Rx7 for now..... merkur xr4ti, cool but not something I would want to race for 24 hours. I am really considering though buying an used Optima for the track ...in the right class it could be a good choice. Does the v6 come with a automatic only, haven't seen one yet in a stick?

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by redline@Dec 1 2005, 12:57 PM
I think I'll stay with my#16 Mazda Rx7 for now..... merkur xr4ti, cool but not something I would want to race for 24 hours. I am really considering though buying an used Optima for the track ...in the right class it could be a good choice. Does the v6 come with a automatic only, haven't seen one yet in a stick?
very very nice! Have you seen the 06 Mazdaspeed 6? I would love to try that out! :grin:

·
Registered
2003 Kia Optima
12 Posts
If you are into the custom work and have some extra time… The Lexus GS 2nd Gen. (98-05) body kits will come real close to fitting the Optima. If I had time myself and could get to a body kit shop I would go check it out but I cant. I have run some number and the body kit might work. If any on has the time please go check it out and let me know. If the body will fit the GS kit then I want one.

As for the talk of an Optima race car. The USA only uses American made cars in their races. Now with the Ford Taurus retired the new Ford Fusion takes its place. As for other country’s, the Optima is used as a racecar…In Korea. The last one I saw was a 02 Optima. From my own experience with the car, its can be and has the potential. I don’t want to completely strip my Optima of all its luxury, so I am going for the BMW hunter. If I had the money, (or is someone could tell me were a cheep used 03+ Optima would be) I would buy one just to make racer. Full race aftermarket V6 block with striped interior (only a race driver seat.) Welded doors with body molding to make it look like the car is door less. Body kit, with HID’s and clear corners. Full tuned suspension. A Tiburon’s racing 6speed manual, and all the heave luxury striped to make it one dangerous KIA. Still a dream…next reality

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
83 Posts
The USA only uses American made cars in their races. Now with the Ford Taurus retired the new Ford Fusion takes its place.
i was talking about real racing not NASCAR.

i would love to see an optima compete in pikes peak, that would be great. if only the optima came in AWD, i guess ill just have to continue thinking of what i would do to it if i didnt have the merk.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Optima
12 Posts
I forgot to add that to my list. The AWD from the Sportage, also in the optima. The Sportage uses the same 2.7L V6 and trany set up as the optima. You would have to do some major frame work or just put the optima on a Sportage frame.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by bjm@Dec 2 2005, 02:19 AM
i was talking about real racing not NASCAR.

i would love to see an optima compete in pikes peak, that would be great. if only the optima came in AWD, i guess ill just have to continue thinking of what i would do to it if i didnt have the merk.
Well if I am not mistaken.. most cars that are used in the pikes peak are smaller cars than the optima.. rather KIA would prolly use the RIO as the peak climber.. am I wrong?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts