Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Forte 2013 EX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my 2013 Kia Forte and the communication with the OBD ll, about 2 days ago I connected some LED lights to the edge of my door and took the current from the main lights, they worked perfect 2 days, on the 3rd day I started my car And I realized that it said that the tires were empty, but I checked them and they were fine, I realized that my rear-view mirrors, my key (the alarm), the passenger switch windows, the head lights, and the time of the dash, are not working and I think they are without power, I already check the 2 fuses on the inside and they are in good condition BUT is not passing energy, I checked with a tester (I have the OBD ll scanner) I connect it and it doesn’t turn on my scanner, I suppose something is happened to the ECU , I already try to remove the positive from the battery all night and the ECU doesn’t restart, everything is the same, what could it be?

(Inside the blue circle is the problem that my car has)

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,619 Posts
Sounds like something(s) melted, and I'd start diagnosing by checking inside of the fuse box.

·
Registered
Kia Forte 2013 EX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like something(s) melted, and I'd start diagnosing by checking inside of the fuse box.
If I thought the same, but the fuses are not blown, I already changed them (but they are not passing current), the OBD ll scanner does not want to work for me, and I have already tried to restart the computer and I cannot

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
When I say look at the inside of the fuse box, I'm not talking about the top surface where the fuses get plugged in. I mean the underside where the wiring bundle connectors attach, and also the inside of the box where the circuit boards are located. If you can't DIY something like that, then you need to take it to an auto electric shop for diagnosis and repair.

·
Registered
Kia Forte 2013 EX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I say look at the inside of the fuse box, I'm not talking about the top surface where the fuses get plugged in. I mean the underside where the wiring bundle connectors attach, and also the inside of the box where the circuit boards are located. If you can't DIY something like that, then you need to take it to an auto electric shop for diagnosis and repair.
So it won't be easy to repair it? I have a question how else could you restart the computer other than by OBD ll or by disconnecting the power cables? Thanks for answering

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,709 Posts
What makes you think that the Engine Control Unit is bad and needs starting or restarting?

The ECU starts automatically when power is applied.

·
Registered
Kia Forte 2013 EX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think because I have my OBD ll scanner is not working, so I guess it's the ECU

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
My first suspect would be a section of wires, a connector, or a circuit board melted due to heat generated by the additional draw from the LEDs. Yes, too much current should blow a fuse, but this could be a case of a draw that's just below the fuse trip point, and ultimately leading to components failing. That's just speculation on my part, which is why diagnosis is required to identify the actual problem.

That's why I suggested looking inside the fuse box, because it's normally a fairly easy thing to do. If no obvious problem shows up inside the box, then the next DIY step would be to start doing continuity testing on the circuits that are not working. There's no way I would replace the ECM based on the symptoms you described, but your vehicle, your choice.

obdit c

·
Registered
Kia Forte 2013 EX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, I have taken it to an electrician, and he has told me that it is the body control module, is there any way to replace it? Or reset it? I have already tried to remove the cable from the battery and as I said before the OBD 2 does not work.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,709 Posts
Hi, I have taken it to an electrician, and he has told me that it is the body control module, is there any way to replace it? Or reset it? I have already tried to remove the cable from the battery and as I said before the OBD 2 does not work.
What did the electrician say?

·
Registered
Kia Forte 2013 EX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That the body control module is misconfigured or damaged and that I needed to take it to the dealer

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,709 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Forte 2013 EX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes i trust him but i dont want go to the dealer its so expensive.. i want to fix my self if i can

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,709 Posts
Yes i trust him but i dont want go to the dealer its so expensive.. i want to fix my self if i can
If you trust him why not get him to fix it?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,709 Posts
He said i need to go to the dealer
If it were me, I'd find a qualified registered independent shop, and if you can't find that, then your only option is the dealership, and it all starts with good diagnostics.

You guessed right, I don't trust your electricians diagnostics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts