Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX, 2011 Sportage EX
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm alone while driving 90% of the time. I live in FL so anything I can do to make my AC stronger or more efficient is a good thing.

As I'm usually alone, I have typically in my cars, closed off the 2 passenger vents to route that air to my 2 driver's side vents, or, even better, like in my wife's 2011 Sportage, I close the extreme right passenger vent, and the middle passenger vent (just to right of Nav head unit) I aim towards the left and it keeps my right arm cool resting on the center console.

The trouble is, in my 2012 Sorento SX, this isn't possible.

You can not close off the passenger vent to the right of the head unit. Nor can you aim it nearly enough to the left to cool the driver. Yes you can close the passenger's extreme right vent but that does no good. It just redirects that flow to that left passenger vent which cannot be closed or aimed at the driver.

Honestly this seems like a really bad design to me. I really find on a hot day, 2 things are happening. 1, I'm blowing a lot of cold air I'd like directed at me into the passenger area, which is wasted, and 2, there's no way to have any air cooling my right arm or right side, and on a hot Florida day that's not good.

They obviously know this is something people want as in my wifes sportage you can close both passenger vents, or, close the right one and the left one easily aims far enough left to hit the driver.

So my question is, is there any solution to this, any workarounds?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Cadenza SXL Smokey Blue/white
359 Posts
I have not noticed that this vehicle cools slower than any other I've owned aside from my Land Rover Freelander.

·
Registered
2010 Audi Q5, 2012 Sorento SX
20 Posts
I'm alone while driving 90% of the time. I live in FL so anything I can do to make my AC stronger or more efficient is a good thing.

As I'm usually alone, I have typically in my cars, closed off the 2 passenger vents to route that air to my 2 driver's side vents, or, even better, like in my wife's 2011 Sportage, I close the extreme right passenger vent, and the middle passenger vent (just to right of Nav head unit) I aim towards the left and it keeps my right arm cool resting on the center console.

The trouble is, in my 2012 Sorento SX, this isn't possible.

You can not close off the passenger vent to the right of the head unit. Nor can you aim it nearly enough to the left to cool the driver. Yes you can close the passenger's extreme right vent but that does no good. It just redirects that flow to that left passenger vent which cannot be closed or aimed at the driver.

Honestly this seems like a really bad design to me. I really find on a hot day, 2 things are happening. 1, I'm blowing a lot of cold air I'd like directed at me into the passenger area, which is wasted, and 2, there's no way to have any air cooling my right arm or right side, and on a hot Florida day that's not good.

They obviously know this is something people want as in my wifes sportage you can close both passenger vents, or, close the right one and the left one easily aims far enough left to hit the driver.

So my question is, is there any solution to this, any workarounds?

Thanks.
I completely agree with you. Being this is the 1st summer for me in this car, I am shocked that the vents do not have an open/close control. My wife absolutely hates this car for the same reason; especially since she is usually cold when I am hot.

Someone should make a mod for it and charge $, since it is a much needed feature.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX AWD CRDI; 2007 Sportage EX CRDi 4WD; 1967 Mercedes 250S; 1958 DKW 3=6
372 Posts
That is funny because in my EX the flow of all the vents can be adjusted by turning a small knob located at the bottom of each vent. It also has dual a/c there by the passenger and the driver can adjust the temperature independently.

I am surprised that your SX which is supposed to be a higher trim level does not have this!

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
cant you use the dual climate control? this will work for your wife.. if shes's cold and your hot..

close the vents on 2nd row, to make it cool/heat faster, it is stated in the manual...

close the vent on the passenger side (farther right), and 2nd row so all the ac blowing will be the 2 in the mid, and on the drivers side (far left) this is all i can think off.. it really is cold though with our sorento...

·
Registered
20 Posts
cant you use the dual climate control? this will work for your wife.. if shes's cold and your hot..

close the vents on 2nd row, to make it cool/heat faster, it is stated in the manual...

close the vent on the passenger side (farther right), and 2nd row so all the ac blowing will be the 2 in the mid, and on the drivers side (far left) this is all i can think off.. it really is cold though with our sorento...
We do end up doing that, she closes her far right vent and adjusts her temperature to about 73 and I have mine set at 68, though dual climate control is really only effective for "direct air-to-the-face" since there is no partition truly separating us. Hot air also rises, therefore forcing me to sometimes lift the sun roof for a bit every now and then.

Thankfully for me, the cooled driver's seat helps a bit to cool me off on the hot days, but my wife still doesn't like that she cannot turn off the air altogether on her side.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is funny because in my EX the flow of all the vents can be adjusted by turning a small knob located at the bottom of each vent. It also has dual a/c there by the passenger and the driver can adjust the temperature independently.

I am surprised that your SX which is supposed to be a higher trim level does not have this!
I wonder if buying the inside vents for the EX will work on the SX. Technically it should work since the vent doors simply need to close, which is a mechanism in the vent. I will try to get some images of the EX interior to see if the vents are the same.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX AWD CRDI; 2007 Sportage EX CRDi 4WD; 1967 Mercedes 250S; 1958 DKW 3=6
372 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 Lux, 1992 Nissan Maxima VE5, 2011 Ducati Monster 796
39 Posts
WHAT-THE-EFFFF! This is rediculous... maybe I can find these vents on some overseas sites
That is really weird, why would they make different style vents for different markets? Doesn't make sense...

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX, 2011 Sportage EX
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is really weird, why would they make different style vents for different markets? Doesn't make sense...
Yeah, it's very odd. On a really scorching FL summer day, I need cold air blowing on all of me, not just my middle and left side. And it kills me that 1) I can't direct any air on my right side, unless I use my left vent for my face and my drivers middle to cool my right side and arm, but then I'm not getting anything to cool my left arm baking in the drivers window. :( And 2) All that cold air blowing away from me that there's nothing I can do about, except turn up the fan higher. I already have the rear vents closed off. Florida summers are not forgiving. :)

Such a simple but crucial oversight. If only that passengers center vent could aim left far enough to cool my right side, like it does in my wife's 2011 Sportage EX.

Now that it appears there are some EX's that do allow for closing the passenger's middle vent, I wonder if perhaps the new Georgia plant used a non closable vent instead, for reasons unknown.

Tell you what, summer isn't really even here yet and already my right arm resting on the center console is all hot and sweaty and there's no practical way to direct any air to it. And all that air from that middle passenger vent is blowing uselessly towards the passenger, who's not there.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Maybe mine is specifically designed for the tropics? Even the A/C is quite efficient and cools pretty fast. Vents can be directed to cover a wide range and the flow can be individually adjusted (or shut off) by turning the knob.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's odd that you would need air directed on your arm. Sounds like an oversight when you test drove it.
All of my recent cars had the ability to close the middle vents with a wheel or some kind of mechanism. I wouldn't even think to check for this during a road test. Personally, I test drove the Sorento in February, so A/C was not normally used at this time in NJ.

·
Registered
2011 sorento lx V-6 AWD
71 Posts
I live in NJ, and my LX model does not have the ability to turn off the vent by the radio Head Unit. The worst part is the angle of which they put the vents and the size do not work well in this car. I too hate it but i deal with it as i am not about to cry over poor design for a car vent. However i would love to yank out the vents from an EX and put them into my LX any day. I might try it!

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
802 Posts
The cooling seems fine for me.

As for the vents, I've noticed the same thing. Pictures of the Sorento from sites outside North America show the knob to close the vent.

This happened on my Santa Fe as well and then they were added to later model years.

They should be interchangeable. I wonder if someone can look up the part number and see if it's orderable in NA. Would be great if the kiatechinfo site showed this too.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento EX 2.4L GDI
14 Posts
Tell you what, summer isn't really even here yet and already my right arm resting on the center console is all hot and sweaty and there's no practical way to direct any air to it. And all that air from that middle passenger vent is blowing uselessly towards the passenger, who's not there.
What part of Florida are you in? I'm in southeast FL (West Palm) and while, sure, it gets hot, the Sorento's A/C is perfectly adequate in cooling down the cabin.

Except for first getting into a hot car that has been sitting in the parking lot for a few hours at the mall, my typical A/C setting is 74-degrees and as far as the fan I do this: turn the A/C off then just hit the fan speed down button. Comes on with a low cool that works great.

For those who may be wondering, no, I'm not skinny. I'm actually 30lbs overweight which always makes me more warm than others but never had a need to redirect all possible air vents to my body and arms. Black interior to boot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts