Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Spectra EX, 5 spd, w/9500 miles, purchased new last Dec.

I have had the kfx cold air intake unit installed now for about a month (did it myself). The unit does not come with instructions. A few photos would have been nice, but I got kfx and a nice user on this forum to post some, and I finally figured out that I had to cut away some of the metal under the battery holder tray to fit the pipe down into the wheel well. Perhaps the '05 has a smaller opening than previous years, I don't know, but the design of the metal brace is such that it required using tin shears and trimming about two inches on each side, and peeling it down. Then the pipe fit through nicely. BUT, another problem then occurred: the battery will no longer sit squarely on the tray due to the pipe being so close!! I had to grind down at an angle the little metal bracket that holds the battery down in order to get it to fit on the lower lip of the battery, because the battery had to sit in the tray at an angle. After all that I was finally able to reconnect the battery and start the car.....

Everything worked just fine, but when idling it sounds just like a Hoover vacuum is running under the hood. Then I romped on the gas -- and it is _so_ loud -- it amplifies every little engine sound. You can even hear the butterfly valve opening and sucking in the initial blast of air! I got this big grin on my face and went for a test drive around the neighborhood. At 4000-4500 RPM it gets way loud and I swear it sounds like a supercharger growling under the hood! It is really a deep throaty growl sound, too. Makes me feel like I'm 18 again. The power curve HAS moved up a little also, with peak horsepower now happening about 700-800 RPM higher than before. Would have been nice to be able to dyno before and after but I'm not that rich.

One of my neighbors down the street (who is a jackass) hates it and does stupid things when I drive past his house on the corner. Since he's just a butthead I enjoy flooring it past his house every time I can. Heh heh - sounds like I'm acting 18 now, too!

Gas mileage: after a month, I am still having a hard time getting the same amount of fuel into the tank to get a perfect measurement. However, initial calculations show that my fuel mileage has actually _improved_ since removing the very restictive stock airbox! My morning commute is about 40-45 miles down Interstate 5 at 70 MPH and I was getting about 25 MPG - now I'm getting 28-30 MPG. However, if I "play" a lot and keep flooring it like a racecar, my mileage drops to about 22 MPG.

So, final review is "two thumbs way up". Cheap way to increase HP _and_ piss off that stupid neighbor you don't like at the same time! :)

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,121 Posts
cheap way??? what it cost?? 180.00 I got my cai for 25 or so shipped and does the same thing..... I bought a integra intake and fit it in just right...
I do agree though that cai are nice but only plan on 3-5hp top gain....... so for 180.00 for 3-5 hp that is like 70 bucks a pony.... thats why i just got mine the way i did. heck I bought the lightened crank pulley for that price and get 8 or so hp...

props to kfx (bill) though for the work he puts into all this..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey 1fastkia, where did you buy your pulley? Did you notice the difference once it was installed? You are a god.... :)

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
I bought the lightened pulley from kfxperformance.com

Yes i noticed a gain...... I already had the header which was a real nice gain but when i added this made it so so much better..

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra
34 Posts
So who did you order from and what part numbers? Sounds like I would rather go your way for a much cheaper price. Do you have photos of your install? I have a 05 Spectra 5. Thanks

kevin

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
My pic are in the members garage...
I buy the intakes then sell them. also dont you already have the kfx cai? if so why would you want another?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was in a local shop today and saw the ractive air filters you put with your kits (Mine still is in transit I suppose!), and they are not cheap! The cheapest one they had was $40 CDN, so about $30 US. That's more than you charge for the whole CAI kit! I still can't get over how good of a deal that is. :)

Devin

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
it should arrive anytime now. I shipped it 5/19/05 at 3:32pm customs label # LC408559825US

also I got you the better ractive filter. I got you the mushroom style filter since they shipped the intake without a filter and you had to wait..

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
short ram who?? mine are cold air.. if you do it right..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey Michael, I have a quick question on the install. Do you connect it to where the flexible pipe joins the stock airbox? It is the only place I can see installing it without losing the air sensor just behind the airbox. I'm assuming I simply remove the stock airbox, connect the new pipe to the end of that and mount it so that the intake/filter end is mounted forward and down towards the space between the rad fan and the front of the engine. Connecting it that way though, I can't see any place to attach the mounting bracket to hold it.

Would it make more sense for me to take some pictures? I'd like to actually do a how-to document for the site on how to get it installed correctly so other people can just follow the directions and not bug you. :) I plan to take pictures of every step, but I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly too.

Thanks!

Devin

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
take a pic for me of what you mean!

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra
11 Posts
I have a question about CAI in wet/snow weather. Are there any issues? or do i just stay out of deep puddles?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is a nice review:

Code:
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0104scc_tested/
I like my CAI and I know I can feel the gain in HP (in the upper rev band). I live in WA and I'm not concerned about water, I just avoid driving through puddles that are over my rims! The filter will block a lot of water and so will the plastic grill in front of the tire.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts