Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sorento EX
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '14 EX on an overcast day. Love the EX..no problems. My only complaint is the red lights for the gauges, clock, etc. Its bad enough that the speedo only has a small indicator needle, but when I put on my sunglasses (I live in Florida) I cannot clearly see the clock or other indicators like A/C system, etc. I had a Hyundai Santa Fe for 7 years and they use a bright blue light which is easy to see in any conditions. Anyone else observe this problem? Any suggestions to make the "red" clearer. I wish there was a way to change indicator light colors!!!

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
559 Posts
Absolutely have the same issue, made worse by sunglasses. Much of the "problem" is the short needle as can see the other long needles OK on other gauges. Find all I can do in daylight is turn the panel lights up to their brightest. And whether it's tinting on even the front windshield, find I don't need sunglasses as much as I did before, so try not to wear.
Visibility issue also exists at night though not as bad as daylight.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I find polarised sunglasses an absolute pest when reading LCD display; my new sunnies are plain glass. This isn't the problem with your Red LEDs, I assume. Strange that they're not adjustable. I hate it when the displays are automatically dimmed when you turn on the headlights during the day. Ambient light makes the dimmed figures unreadable.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
I changed the back lighting LEDs from (UGLY)pea-green to white on my two Spectras... and there are posts on the same type mods on Rio's displays... I have not taken the Sorento cluster ass'y apart but I would think it would not be too difficult to do the same with this car also...
Dave

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX- mine, 2012 Hyundai Azera- Mom's
79 Posts
I changed the back lighting LEDs from (UGLY)pea-green to white on my two Spectras... and there are posts on the same type mods on Rio's displays... I have not taken the Sorento cluster ass'y apart but I would think it would not be too difficult to do the same with this car also...
Dave
Unfortunately that's not possible for the speedometer, which is the main culprit. The speedo on upper trim levels is actually a 7 inch LCD screen. The problem is the "needle" on that screen is rather small and does not have enough contrast to make it easy to see during the day. At night it's much easier to read. During the day, especially if the sun is shining on it, it can be nearly impossible to read. They should have included a digital numeral readout as one of the display options like many other cars do. So it would actually display "56 mph" for example.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Has anyone heard of any possible improvements in this area? I've read on another forum that kia is aware and working on a fix. Anyone hear of any updates? I am still having a hard time seeing my speed!

·
Registered
Sorento EX (2017)
5 Posts
Have had my 14' Sorento EX for a week now and I am noticing the same issue (having trouble reading the Speedometer Needle during the day)

Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
2014 EX 2.4L
13 Posts
Speedo needle invisible in daytime

Same here, cant see speedo needle in daytime. Why isnt it WHITE being as the background is black. Digits on Speedo are white. White Needle would solve the problem . This is a safety issue, and should be addressed by KIA.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
I changed the LEDs on my radio also from (UGLY) pea green to white ones..so if the display is a single color (i think you said red) why couldn't you change the red LEDs to white ones?
I haven't looked into the possibility but why not?
Dave

·
Registered
79 Posts
I changed the LEDs on my radio also from (UGLY) pea green to white ones..so if the display is a single color (i think you said red) why couldn't you change the red LEDs to white ones?
I haven't looked into the possibility but why not?
Dave
Because it's not a normal backlit gauge. It's a virtual speedometer using an LCD screen.

·
Registered
2014 EX 2.4L
13 Posts
Backlit versus LCD screen for speedo

Because it's not a normal backlit gauge. It's a virtual speedometer using an LCD screen.
If this is the case, then why wouldn't KIA be able to offer a change of color using the software that drives the Speedometer ? Anyone think we are on the wrong track here ?? :confused:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Or they could offer a numerical readout in the center like many GM and VW products have.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
367 Posts
I don't know where you live and how much sun you have or how black/polarized are your sunglasses but I've never had any problem to read the speed with this famous short needle !

Moreover, I would not like to have a numerical readout on which speed (numbers) is changing everytime... It would give me headache !

My opinion : it will be updated (color and/or contrast) on the 2015 but not on the 2014, as usual.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
66 Posts
I live in south Louisiana and on a sunny day, with or without sunglasses, the speedometer is difficult to read.

KIA owes their customers a fix for this.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't know where you live and how much sun you have or how black/polarized are your sunglasses but I've never had any problem to read the speed with this famous short needle !

Moreover, I would not like to have a numerical readout on which speed (numbers) is changing everytime... It would give me headache !

My opinion : it will be updated (color and/or contrast) on the 2015 but not on the 2014, as usual.

Good luck.
Here in the Midwest there are several times a week when the sun hits the display at the right angle to make it nearly impossible to see the needle. I don't wear sunglasses. I was suggesting they add the numerical readout as another option within the trip computer part of the display so you could choose to view it or not.

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
red is the best color to go with with for best visibility in any lighting conditions :)

·
Registered
Sorento 2014
4 Posts
My wife drove our new SX yesterday for the first time. In daylight driving, she always wears her sunglass clip over her prescription glasses. She couldn't see the speedometer needle. This is definitely a safety issue that Kia must fix.

I talked to both Kia Canada and my local dealer today. They have no immediate solution and it seems that none is planned. Not very reassuring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Service department says cant fix. General Manager of dealer says they never heard that this is a problem. First service manger took a test drive and agreed that it is a problem. Ading to this problem is the fact that it does not allow you to set cruise control safely. This is a safety issue and I will take this up with others at KIA.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts