Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento SX
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saw this on the news the other day. Read below:

It does seem to be the 2012 - 2014 model, but do we have the same engine?

The recall covers some of the Korean automakers’ most popular models in the U.S. and Canada including 2013 and 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport SUVs and Sonata midsize cars. Also covered are Kia Optima midsize cars from 2011 through 2014, Kia Sportage SUVs from 2011 through 2013 and Kia Sorento SUVs from 2012 through 2014.

Hyundai, Kia to recall nearly 1.5-million vehicles over engine issue - The Globe and Mail

Hyundai Motor Co and Kia Motors Corp plan to recall 1.48 million vehicles in the United States, Canada and South Korea due to engine issues, the latest blow for two firms already struggling in key markets.

The recall could cost the two firms hundreds of millions of dollars each revives quality concerns at a time when Hyundai and Kia face a sharp drop in China sales and sluggish demand in the United States and South Korea.

The South Korean companies are recalling 1.19 million cars and sport utility vehicles in the United States, 114,187 in Canada and 171,348 in South Korea due to the engine issue that increases the risk of a crash, according to safety regulators in those respective countries.

The U.S. recall involves Hyundai’s Sonata and Santa Fe and Kia’s Optima, Sorento and Sportage.

The recall could hit earnings with the recall costing each company as much as 250-billion won ($220.19-million), said Koh Tae-bong, an analyst at Hi Investment & Securities.

The companies declined to comment on the cost of the recall.

Hyundai Motor shares closed down 2.4 per cent, compared to a flat broader market. Kia Motors were down 0.9 per cent.

More recalls

This is not the first time Hyundai and Kia have been forced to recall vehicles due to defects in their Theta engines, which they manufacture themselves.

In 2015, Hyundai Motor recalled 470,000 Sonata sedans in the United States to replace faulty engine parts, prompting quality concerns in its home market of South Korea.

But Hyundai and Kia said last year that engines produced at domestic factories were not defective. They instead extended the warranty period for five Theta 2-equipped models in South Korea.

South Korea’s transport ministry said on Friday metal debris in crankshafts could cause engine damage, leading to possible loss of motive power.

The recall in South Korea covers Hyundai’s Sonata, Grandeur sedans and Kia’s K5, K7 and Sportage models equipped with a 2-liter or 2.4-liter Theta 2 gasoline engine produced before August 2013, the ministry said.

“The recall is related to a manufacturing process problem, not the structural problem of Theta 2GDi engines and we have completed improvements through appropriate measures,” the companies said in a statement.

Hyundai will replace a defective engine with a new one after inspection. The recall in South Korea will start on May 22.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
588 Posts
At least they are doing right by owners (unlike Audi that had to be sued to fix the issues with oil consumption due to defective piston rings and they extended warranty is still short of Kia's factory warranty).

That does suck that.... that is a BIG recall, but it doesn't apply to anyone with a new Sorento.

·
Registered
17' Sorento SXL V6 AWD, 14' Mazda6 GT w/ Tech, 16 Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory, 14' BMW S1000R
833 Posts
It is for the 4 cylinder motors. That Hyundai motor is commonly called the GDI engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0 tGDI AWD
164 Posts
If i'm not mistaken, the recall covers the theta engines (the original 2.4L i4 GDI in the sorento). The 2015 + uses the Theta II engines which covers both the 2.4L i4 and the 2.0 L i4 turbo which are not covered by the recall. The V6 has the code name Lambda.

I could be wrong in saying this. Also, it could be just a specific date range that is covered under the recall which they were able to trace back to specific engine manufacturing dates. I read the recall info and couldn't tell one way or another why the date range seemed strange.

·
Registered
Sorento 2016 SX V6 6AT, Civic 2006 LX AT
541 Posts
i do recall that the Hyundai brochure made reference to a greek alphabet in the engine description. looked up MY2016 Sorento brochure but couldnt find theta or lambda or beta

The Santa Fe XL MY2016 brocuhure called it "3.3L GDI Lambda II 6-cylinder engine" which IMO is the same engine as in Sorento. i dont have the Santa Fe Sport brochure which is likely where the 2L and 2.4L engines are described.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,531 Posts
this is at least the 3rd thread on the same subject on this forum that I've seen. Here are the specifics of it with regards Kia models:

USA:
Potential number of units affected: 618,160
NHTSA campaign number: 17V-224
Kia Motors America recall number: SC147
Canada:
Potential number of units affected: 37,504 (76,683 Hyundai)
Transport Canada Recall number: 2017199
Kia Canada recall number: RC109

Estimated units with defect: 2%
Accidents or injuries since first sale in 2010 - none

Vehicles effected

Optima 2011-2014
2011-2013 – equipped with 2.4L GDI and 2.0L GDI turbo
engines produced from Aug 12, 2010 to Sept 27, 2013
2014 – equipped with 2.4L and 2.0L turbo
engines produced from Aug 28, 2013 to May 15, 2015

Sorento 2012-2014
all equipped with the 2.4L GDI
engines produced from April 19, 2011 to Feb 10, 2014

Sportage 2011-2013
all equipped with the 2.0L turbo GDI
engines produced from Dec 30, 2010 through Aug 30, 2013

Description of defect:

Metal debris may have been generated from factory machining operations as part of the manufacturing of the engine crankshaft which may not have been completely removed from the crankshaft’s oil passages during the cleaning process. In addition, the machining processes of the crankpins caused an uneven surface roughness. As a result, the metal debris and uneven surface roughness can restrict oil flow to the bearings, thereby increasing bearing temperatures causing premature bearing wear. A worn connecting rod bearing will produce a cyclic knocking noise from the engine and may also result in the illumination of the engine warning lamp and/or oil pressure lamp in the instrument panel. If the warnings are ignored and the vehicle is continued to be driven, the bearing may fail and the vehicle could stall while in motion.

Description of safety risk:

An engine stall at higher speeds can increase the risk of a crash

Identification of any warning that can occur:
Illumination of the engine warning lamp and / or oil pressure warning lamp and / or knocking noise from engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts