Kia Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are all likely aware by now the extensive recall taking place regarding the theta II engine series from 2011 through 2014?

I am very familiar with the 2.0t used in the sonata for 2011, however I believe the recall issues also apply to non turbo 2.0 and 2.4 as well correct?

I never had any issues at all with my 2.0t in the sonata, ran perfectly until traded at over 100,000 miles.

Now I am in a new 2017 sportage withe the 2.0 t-gdi which sure looks very much alike to my last 2.0t in that sonata. the only visible differences are some of the accessories and the plastic engine cover looks different now.

I am curious what changes they have made to the engine to prevent failures from carrying over into the newer models in current production. I understand they changed the crankshaft cleaning procedures in the montgomery alabama engine plant, however the recall also applies to vehicles made in South Korea now as well.

What I have not seen is if they have made any materials changes to the bottom end of these 4 cylinder engines to make them more durable.

Anyone have any further information on changes to the engines?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts