Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Rio5
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many of you guys have seen this video. I tried doing a search and couldn't come up with anything on the forum. This should answer alot of questions regarding the inner workings of our engine. One question I saw was "Does our engine have a belt or a timing chain?" This will illustrate alot of new interesting systems that are being applied to Gas engines which I found very interesting myself.

Here is the youtube link:

Recommend to sticky.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Yes Thanks for the great video.I guess we all hope Kia has it all covered for durability.Their track record seems good lately.Only time will tell.I am in Canada & we have a 5 year warranty.Kind of wish we had the 10 year Powertrain Warranty the Americans get.

·
Registered
Rio5
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a lot of faith with the Hyundai brand. Being that my previous car was a Tiburon which I dawged the living hell out of it. I ran 75 shot of nitrous through. Than I installed a turbo kit on it, stock. I blew it, rebuilt it with all new internals and dawged it some more.

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 EX w Conv Pkg, Chestnut .......... 1997 Ford F-150
54 Posts
Thanks for sharing, it is very informative. Makes me like my Rio purchase even more.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Will the ticking fade out?

Hello, I've followed this thread with great interest. About the ticking of the GDI engine, it's sait that it is more pronounced on this kind of engine. Will it fade out or be more subtle after break in period? Just a question.
Thanks

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Gamma Engine & synthetic oil

I think we should get used to the ticking. I don't think it will go away.I believe it's part of the 3500 PSI fuel system.I have sent an inquiry to Canadian Tire asking them who supplies their Formula 1 Synthetic oil(I believe it's Shell).I want to find out if the additives are compatible with the exotic materials in the Gamma Engine. I want to use this oil because it will deliver better fuel economy,Easier -30C starts & longer engine life due to better oilflow than conventional Dino oil.Besides it's quite cheap @ $19.99 for 5 litres when it goes on sale & I have 30 Litres in my garage:D.

·
Registered
Rio5
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I think we should get used to the ticking. I don't think it will go away.I believe it's part of the 3500 PSI fuel system.
The tick is cause by the mechanical fuel injection pump. To achive the high pressure needed on direct injected engines a mechanical pump is required. You can see the fuel pressure pump in action being actuated by the exhaust cam in the video.

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
922 Posts
If you've ever heard an old (non common-rail) diesel engine, compare it to a new (common-rail) diesel engine.
The CR engines are much more pronounced, and sound really weird... and off.
Thats cause of the fuel system.

I don't know about the petrols, but the diesels fuel pressure (at least in my VW-sourced engine) range between 8,000psi (idle) and 27,000psi (max load @ around 4,200rpm)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts