Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving for over an hour the HVAC will still blow, you can turn it up to max and it roars like it's blowing, but the mode control it seems like gets stuck between modes. No matter the mode it won't come out the vents on the face, the defrost, the floor or anywhere instead just kinda oozing out of every crevice in the dash.

My mechanic wants to replace the Heater Control unit (972503W130BLH) but can't find one. -- I'm kinda leaning toward a Mode Door Actuator (971571JAA0) myself as being the problem.

Anyone else ever run into this and have a better idea which to swap first? I ran the diagnostic on the Control unit (hold off which clicking MODE 4 times) while in the failed state and I get a code of 00.I have not torn into the dash to test the Mode Door Actuator by shorting the pins. If the car sits for a long time (60-90 min, no matter outside temp or in the sun/freezing cold) it will reset and work again for a while.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So update.. Dealer said it's due to windshield replacement and the new glass not having the right sensor in it. Not sure I believe that to be true on a 2012, but I'm starting there to see if that fixes the issue since in my state the insurance has to cover it with no penalty.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,210 Posts
So update.. Dealer said it's due to windshield replacement and the new glass not having the right sensor in it. Not sure I believe that to be true on a 2012, but I'm starting there to see if that fixes the issue since in my state the insurance has to cover it with no penalty.
Yes, I've heard of that when folks have had third party non-OEM windshields fitted - the moisture sensor used for the auto demist function causes problems with the system.

Best you go back to the installer.

Humidity Sensor- A sensor attached to the windshield behind the rear-view mirror will detect moisture on the inside of the glass and activate the Automatic Climate Controls.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts