Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento XS Auto 2005
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an interesting one. I've just got my new Sorento, my second one. First was manual, fabulous car. This one is auto. Now I have noticed that with the ignition on there is a distinct humming noise coming from under the bonnet (hood). Before I go back with it I thought I'd enlist the aid of diesel auto owners. So if you have a minute or two perhaps you could switch on the ignition and listen for any sound. This did not happen with the manual car. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
Sorento XS Auto 2005
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing on, just the ignition. The noise is quite audible on this car but I never noticed it on my previous car which was a manual. It would be nice to know I'm not alone.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
might be something to do with egr valve, this is an electronic stepper motor on later models, early ones used a mechanical vacuum unit, can you tell which side of engine it's coming from?

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
44 Posts
I've just got one.....noticed that the fan trips in early ( on start up and after short trips) is it the cooling fan?

I'm hoping this isn't a problem and is only due to the hot weather and short trip

·
Registered
Sorento XS Auto 2005
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Murphwiz
The humming is more pronounced on the battery side around the general area of the fuel filter housing.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Thats pretty much next to the EGR solenoid..
Next time I'm under the bonnet of one I've have a listen!

Radio bloke, is it not the AC fans running?

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
44 Posts
Originally posted by Murphwiz@Jul 4 2005, 10:52 PM
Thats pretty much next to the EGR solenoid..
Next time I'm under the bonnet of one I've have a listen!

Radio bloke, is it not the AC fans running?
don't think so....I'll keep an eye on it.
I'm not seeing this as a problem...yet!

thanx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts