1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • 2012 Kia Soul Exlaim (!)
  • Currently 76,500 miles
  • Recent oil change at the dealership
Hello all, yesterday I was driving to a resturant near by, almost missed the turn so I pushed down the pedal (not all the way down but enough to gain some fast speed) and next thing I know I hear my girl say "Oh My God, your car is smoking bad", the RPM went up and down and the car almost stalled but didnt, sure enough I look behind me and there is this MASSIVE white smoke, huge enough that it covered all the cars behind me in a 2 lane avenue.

So about 50 yards down I pull to the side of the road, open my hood, nothing out of the ordinary, no funny smells, weird noises, no lights on the dash, I go by the exhaust to examine, and there was still white smoke, I tell my girl to hit the gas and smoke kept coming out in large volumes for about 5-10 seconds then it dropped down to a much smaller amount of smoke.

We went to the resturant but I couldnt really focus on eating, after about 10 minutes in there I told her be right back, went to turn my car on and revd the engine up to see how much smoke was coming out and now there is NO SMOKE at all. Drove home, accelerated on purpose to see if any weird noises, smells, shifts, smoke, and still nothing.

It's been over 10 hours that this happened and there is still no smoke, so my question to you guys: Was this a one time normal thing that never happened to me before or is this the start of a disaster for my car?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
With the motor cold, open the hood and check the radiator antifreeze level. If empty or extremely low...you have a problem!

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
that happened to me a couple of times on my 2012 4u (similar to an Exclaim) when I floored the car, surprised me at first and thought there was something wrong, but found out from the mechanic at my dealership that it's just build-up in the exhaust system, particular if you do not push the revs high too often, which I don't. As long as it was only white smoke.

I found that if you did floor it and saw the smoke, then did it again it was gone or a lot less. So periodically I would try to remember to push the revs high and didn't seem to encounter it anymore.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
that happened to me a couple of times on my 2012 4u (similar to an Exclaim) when I floored the car, surprised me at first and thought there was something wrong, but found out from the mechanic at my dealership that it's just build-up in the exhaust system, particular if you do not push the revs high too often, which I don't. As long as it was only white smoke.

I found that if you did floor it and saw the smoke, then did it again it was gone or a lot less. So periodically I would try to remember to push the revs high and didn't seem to encounter it anymore.
A build up of what in the exhaust system? Sounds like coolant getting into the combustion process as a result of head gasket failure or some other failure to isolate coolant from the combustion chamber or exhaust, perhaps cracked head or block for example?

Certainly should not be considered normal in any way shape or form. Never heard of this in an otherwise healthy engine.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
all I know is that I had the vehicle for a few years after this situation and never encountered any engine or coolant problems and the vehicle had its normal service every six months during that time.

Not encountered it so far on my 2016 model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: drone the car about 200 miles and nothing at all. No problems, no smoke.

Checked the engine area and under the car no leaks. Checked coolant level while engine was cold and then hot no leakage and coolant level normal.

I read another guy post the same issue on this site, also had a relative tell me it happened to him once.

Car was just inspected a month ago, and bought from a reputable dealer 6 months ago. I am going with my gut feeling and believing that is a very unusual rare incident but nothing to do with engine ot head gasket. No smoke at all since then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Light greyish smoke, more comes out when accelrating!

• 2012 Kia Soul (!)
Greetings to all,

About 4 months ago (at 76,000) I was accelarating then a huge white cloud of smoke came out of the exhaust, the exhaust kept smoking for like 2-3 minutes and then nothing. I came home read about it and a lot of people were saying this could be just carbon build up in the exhaust system (when people baby their car too much) that the car was getting rid of, since the smoke stopped, the car had no fluids lost, no shaking, nothing at all (hic, the acceleration felt better afterwards) I disrgarded that, my car was normal.

Now its at 81,000, yesterday I was trying to do the same thing, pass someone, hit the gas and BAM, once again this HUGE white cloud came out of the exhaust, the only difference is the light smoke afterwards this time didnt stop. :|

Improtant to note, the light greyist smoke comes after the car has warmed up, so I am not sure if its oil or what, once again I checked all the fluids and nothing concerning there, and the car still drives the same, but this smoke just keeps coming out, specially when I accelerate.

Also important to note, back in April I did change both Camshaft Position Sensor (not crankshaft) and dumb me bought the cheap ones, I know camshaft sensors work hand in hand with synchronizing fuel intake and the fuel regulators.

When I smelled my oil it did smell like there was a good amount of gas in it, I let my coworker who knows a thing or two about cars smelled and he did confirm the smell of gas in the oil is not usually that abnormal, but in my case the smell was a bit too much.

Which leaves me to come here and ask you guys since I've seen all types of issues on these forums when this happen:

• Is this the cause of installing cheaply made camshaft sensor?
  • Could this be too much gas in the engine and my car is trying to get rid of it, hence the smoke after it runs for about 10 minutes? (Fuel regulator, fuel injectors?)
  • Also, I highly doubt it because I havent lost ANY coolant, but is this head casket or something similar?
I would REALLY welcome feedback on here because I am in a tough spot financially and last thing I can afford is for the dealership to diagnost it for a...wait for it....$150 an hour diagnostics, and since there are no check engine lights on your guess is as good as theirs IMO.

Looking forward to what you guys think,

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
White smoke usually indicates water getting into the combustion chambers, probably via a defective or blown out head gasket. However, these don't fix themselves and once you get the white smoke it stays all the time. Your coolant level will usually drop and you may see oil mixing in the coolant also. Check your coolant tank, do you see oil droplets mixed in with it? If you see a brown gooey messy you've definitely got head gasket issues.

You won't see a check engine light with this unless it affects your emissions somehow.

The light grey smoke could be your car running rich. Have you checked your air filter to see if it's clogged or excessively dirty?

If you've got a buddy with a compression tester you can test all the cylinders to see if any of them have low compression. Two low cylinders next to each other can indicate a bad head gasket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
as mentioned, white smoke typically indicates coolant is entering the combustion process (comes out as steam).

However, grey smoke especially on throttle indicates blowby which is combustion gasses getting past your piston rings, pressurizing the crankcase with exhaust gasses, and the pcv system is letting this pressurized and now oily exhaust get sucked back into the combustion process. The gassy-smelling oil is another indication of this.

That said, an over-rich fuel mixture will also cause your oil to smell like gas and will also cause your exhaust to be grey especially under hard throttle which is when it is being asked to dump more fuel into the process.

Could be a myriad of different things, from worn piston rings to a compromised pcv valve to a stuck or faulty injector. You can do a leakdown and/or compression check on the cylinders to rule out worn piston rings. There is also a chemical kit you can buy from NAPA auto parts that will help you determine if you've got combustion gasses in your coolant which would indicate a blown head gasket.

It could also just be a bad / weak catalytic converter that is unable to deal with the unburnt fuel that is coming from the hard accelerations.

Pulling your spark plugs, which is a DIY thing and seeing if they all look the same color is a first step to telling you if you are over fueling or burning excessive amounts of oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How can I check my oil pressure levels in my Kia Soul?

Hello all,

I have a 2012 Kia Soul (!) with about 88K miles on it, it has a knocking noise (not too loud, it almost sounds like you tapping on a wooden table) that I've had a couple of my mechanic friends quickly take a look at (not a full evaluation) to see if I should freak the flip out or not yet, they both suggested different things but along the same lines.

Neither were too worried about the noise because they told me a knock in the engine is scary, sounds scary, but could be 20 different things that arent serious and can easily be fixed.

One of them suggested it might be my lifter intake, or camshaft sensor thats causing this, the other suggested that using after market oil filters causes low oil pressure in Kias and Hyndais a lot of the time.

My question is how can I check what my oil pressre is in the car to see if its low or average? (also checked the oil levels its fine)

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
9,538 Posts
Hello all,

I have a 2012 Kia Soul (!) with about 88K miles on it, it has a knocking noise (not too loud, it almost sounds like you tapping on a wooden table) that I've had a couple of my mechanic friends quickly take a look at (not a full evaluation) to see if I should freak the flip out or not yet, they both suggested different things but along the same lines.

Neither were too worried about the noise because they told me a knock in the engine is scary, sounds scary, but could be 20 different things that arent serious and can easily be fixed.

One of them suggested it might be my lifter intake, or camshaft sensor thats causing this, the other suggested that using after market oil filters causes low oil pressure in Kias and Hyndais a lot of the time.

My question is how can I check what my oil pressre is in the car to see if its low or average? (also checked the oil levels its fine)

Thank you
Not sure what your friend meant by "my lifter intake, or camshaft sensor thats causing this".

We know the mileage, what about the service history, what oil change interval, what oil, what oil filter, who did the servicing.

You can get fairly cheap oil gauges with a T-piece that goes in where the oil pressure switch is, and the switch and gauge then go into the T-piece.

·
Super Moderator
9,538 Posts
Threads merged because the previous threads offer some relevant pertinent information related to the latest questions on oil level and pressure.

·
Registered
112 Posts
the other suggested that using after market oil filters causes low oil pressure in Kias and Hyndais a lot of the time.
I never used a Hyundai or Kia filter on my cars, and have no issues. Mostly Mobil 1 filters...
If the oil pressure would be an issue, you would see a red light while idling with the warmed-up engine (lowest pressure). You can try 5W30 Synthetic oil at next change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts