Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX V6
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got some new wheels for my 07 Rondo, they are Drag DR 19 in black and I had them mounted over the weekend. The Shop who installed them recommended I get Hub Rings to prevent Vibration, what size is needed? 73MM?

·
Banned
79 Posts
I am currently looking at getting some new (used/second hand) rims/wheels for my rondo as well, and from what I've seen in my searches, the rondo's hubs are supposed to be approx 67.1mm ... so if your new rims have a center bore of say, 73.1mm (pretty common number/size on most aftermarket rims I've researched so far online) then you would need approx a 6mm hub centric ring (inner diameter of 67.1 - outer diameter of 73.1 for this example).

You should be able to pick these 'hub centric rings' up at any good wheel/tire shop, and if they don't have them on hand, they should be able to order them in for you for sure. You could also try measuring your hubs, and the centre bore of your new 19" rims, and then do the math to see what size rings you need, and try ebay for them as well. I've seen sets of them (4 hub centric rings in a set) for like $10 on ebay in my brief search for them so far.

It is a good idea to get these if your new rims have a hub centre bore that is larger or different than your car has, different than the stock/factory rims have etc. It keeps the rims centred on the hub better, keeps them true and balanced/centred, and will avoid them slipping off centre if the bolts get a tad loose or you hit a major pot hole etc. I may be looking for some of these rings if I find a set of wheels for my Rondo soon, I'll probably just try a couple of the local rim/tire shops around town for them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
It is a good idea to get these if your new rims have a hub centre bore that is larger or different than your car has, different than the stock/factory rims have etc. It keeps the rims centred on the hub better, keeps them true and balanced/centred, and will avoid them slipping off centre if the bolts get a tad loose or you hit a major pot hole etc. I may be looking for some of these rings if I find a set of wheels for my Rondo soon, I'll probably just try a couple of the local rim/tire shops around town for them.
I can't see that these would serve much purpose apart from initially fitting the wheel; a tight centre makes it easier to fit the first nut or stud. After that, the conical shape of the nuts/studs does the centering.

A good tool for fitting wheels which use studs is a short headless bolt to guide the wheel into place. A carefully made guide might also be possible for the nut situation.

If wheels are tightened properly (in a rotary pattern, in stages) there should be no chance of loosening.

·
Banned
79 Posts
I believe that is the main purpose of the hub centric rings, is making sure that the wheel is tightened absolutely perfect and centred on the hub when the nuts are being tightened, assuring the wheel is perfectly centred after torquing the nuts down to spec. One the wheel is torqued down, the force of the tightened nuts is what is holding the wheel in place, not the hub centric rings, they are simply a tool to assure perfect alignment between the wheel and hub during assembly. Doesn't hurt to have positive contact either between the hub and wheel though, so that no matter what, it's in constant alignment, especially in the case of the lugs become loose etc.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I believe that is the main purpose of the hub centric rings, is making sure that the wheel is tightened absolutely perfect and centred on the hub when the nuts are being tightened, assuring the wheel is perfectly centred after torquing the nuts down to spec. Doesn't hurt to have positive contact either between the hub and wheel though, so that no matter what, it's in constant alignment, especially in the case of the lugs become loose etc.
I've never considered that there's a problem here.

Main thing is NOT tightening the lugs too soon, until you're sure that they're aligned. My procedure has always been:

1. Fit lugs finger-tight, using a loose socket if necessary.
2. Tighten using lug wrench while the wheel is still jacked up. (Maybe 20 ft. lb. -in a rotary pattern)
3. Partially lower the jack until the tyre reaches the ground and tighten to medium tension (About 50 ft. lb.)
4. Lower the jack fully and tighten to spec. (About 80 ft. lb.)
5. Re-check after a short drive. This is particularly important with alloy wheels, which have no "give".

Note: Threads on wheel hubs should not be lubricated.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX V6
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys my rims have a center bore of 73mm should I get this size Centric Ring or go with a 73.1MM Centric Ring?

·
Banned
79 Posts
Well, if your new wheels have a center bore of 73mm, that's an average center bore for aftermarket wheels, and the same as the ones I just picked up for my rondo. You will need hub centric rings that measure 73mm outer diameter, and 67.1 inner diameter (also known as your cars hub diameter).

These rings can be purchased from most any tire and wheel shop, but I got mine from 'Performance Improvements' today actually, and the set of 4 rings was about $16. Not too bad, and they had the exact size I needed, which is also the size you are looking for it seems too. The store I went to was in Brampton, but they have shops all over, Toronto, and a bunch more, just check out their website, google 'Performance Improvements'.

When you get them, put the rings on the wheels, on the inside of the rim/wheel, then mount it onto the cars hub, and tighten the lugs down as usual. This ring will basically make sure the wheel remains seated perfectly centred on the hub etc perfectly. This should eliminate any vibrations when driving, which you can get if you don't use the hub centric rings, and use only the lugs alone to mount the wheel on the car.

Hope this helps you out, good luck!

·
Banned
79 Posts
Haha! I just realized you're in California, so that might be a little far for you to go! lol

You should be able to get these rings at any decent tire and wheel shop, you can even find them on Ebay, for around $10 or less.

Good luck, Cheers!

(Just be sure to ask for 73mm outer diameter and 67.1 inner diameter.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts