Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I am in the process of restoring my 2002 Kia Rio Cinco and have had some bad experienced with a mechanic. I think he has broken my car worse than before he got his hands on it. One of the problems that popped up is the wheel hubs.

My old mechanic replaced the front hubs and bearings on my car about a month ago. The passenger side had been making noise and saw some give in the wheel. Well, the driver side, has since started making noise like the passenger side did. But this is a new hub with new bearings. I put the car up on a jack and pulled the wheel and found the rotor (which is only a year and a half old) was warped, one caliper bolt was missing and one of the little bolts that hold the rotor on was also missing. Also one of the control arms was dangling like it had never been reattached. I lost another morning at work, and the cost of a new rotor to deal with this. But I digress. Could he have pressed the hub bearings in too tight causing them to fail on the driver side? Is there something else in that assembly I should check. Please keep in mind that I don't have "take it to the dealer to diagnose" money. I already paid this jerk to fix it and now he won't come back to deal with his mess up.

·
Registered
2004 kia rio
14 Posts
Lots of mechanics are not aware of the specail needs that a kia rio has compared to other cars when it comes to front wheel bearing. If done the same way as every other front wheel drive car they'll quickly fail.
The right bearing spacer and torque specs are important or the bearing will fail, and continue to fail. The dealers have special tools to do it and charge a lot of money for this service.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts