Kia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Magentis
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know what ppl here think of their Kia soundsystems. I know most of you change the deck asap, but what about the speakers how do you think they sound?

I for one was amazed by the sound quality on my Magentis OEM CD player. It's got the Standard 6 speakers sound system with a neat little CD storage right underneath. When I bought the car I was kinda disapointed because it didn't have mp3 support in it, but all the Spec5 had one even the cheap ones. I also thought my deck had to be the ugliest CD player out there. But now I think it does a good job, it sounds very good with those 6 speakers. A lot of ppl were also impressed by the sound quality.

I will be installing a nice mp3 player deck in there eventually. I was wondering where someone could get the wiring harness for my 2005 magentis? must be the same for every magentis/optmia but where can I buy one in Canada? I dont want to cut and tape those wires....

:amen:

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,978 Posts
Must agree, the OEM is pretty good. NOT great by any means, but decent enough to enjoy the music. I for one would like to replace the entire 6 speaker system. I've already started by purchasing a pair of Rockford Fosgate 6x9" 2-way speakers for the rear, and I'll get some RF 6.5" 2 (or 3) Way speakers for the fronts (maybe some components - so I can get the tweeters for the front as well). and the Deck.. dunno yet.. Looking at a few different types, mainly looking for one that has Aux inputs so i can connect my MP3 player (forget the disc-based mp3 players - I'm sooo done with those, now it's all about the portable mp3 players!)
NEWayz, that what I'm planning on doing.. I'll keep you posted! :57:

·
Registered
2005 Kia Magentis
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know what you mean about portable mp3 players, I was looking at this for my car:

Ebay

But I dont know how good it would fit in the lighter outlet or 12v outlet of my car..... The fact you can use cheap usb memory sticks and you dont need any wires or batteries what so ever is really nice.

·
Registered
car
4,204 Posts
The system in my Optima is still stock. Its not that bad. It will be replaced though but Im not sure with what. As for the Spectra it think it sucks. I can turn it up all of the way and its really not all that loud. That will be pulled out soon. When I replace a head unit I always replace the speakers.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio
182 Posts
ya i have an 02 Rio and i have a new head unit but i still have all 4 stock seakers and love it sound better the sock HU. and i dont plan on changing them out. unless i got free speakers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the speakers were ok i guess. i replaced mine out pretty quickly.
i acually did save them and reuse them to make a home made boom box though for my garage. no grills for them though, one of the speakers got punched in, lol.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra
34 Posts
I added a Kenwood amp to my stock system and it made a big difference in sound quality and level. Sounds a lot better now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a Jensen MP7610 installed in my Sorento CRDi LX, which has as far as I can tell, four speakers, one in each door. It's not the coolest looking thing, with a very busy front, and a very large-pixel display which makes for very crap visualizations/animations, but it gets the job done.

It's a single CD player (that supports mp3 CDs, though I haven't tried out mp3 CDs yet), although it does have provisions for a CD changer. My fave feature is that it has an AUX line in that's simple to jack into using RCA connectors; this is how I connect my iPod. :) No need for a CD changer.

The h/u has a control for subwoofer, but I don't have one. It has an ixBass-something-or-other option, which gives the sound a bit more body. The EQ presets aren't the best, though; I finally got the best results by fixing the treble and bass controls (which go from -6 to +6) and combining it with EQ settings on the iPod. All in all, I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,978 Posts
Originally posted by monster@Aug 20 2005, 01:18 AM
I have a Jensen MP7610 installed in my Sorento CRDi LX, which has as far as I can tell, four speakers, one in each door. It's not the coolest looking thing, with a very busy front, and a very large-pixel display which makes for very crap visualizations/animations, but it gets the job done.

It's a single CD player (that supports mp3 CDs, though I haven't tried out mp3 CDs yet), although it does have provisions for a CD changer. My fave feature is that it has an AUX line in that's simple to jack into using RCA connectors; this is how I connect my iPod. :) No need for a CD changer.

The h/u has a control for subwoofer, but I don't have one. It has an ixBass-something-or-other option, which gives the sound a bit more body. The EQ presets aren't the best, though; I finally got the best results by fixing the treble and bass controls (which go from -6 to +6) and combining it with EQ settings on the iPod. All in all, I'm happy with it.
Kool, but don't go with MP3 CD Player.. just go with an MP3 Player. :57:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Kool, but don't go with MP3 CD Player.. just go with an MP3 Player. :57:
Yup yup. :) Haven't even bothered to try any mp3 CDs. And I rarely ever listen to CDs anymore. Or the radio for that matter...

If I had all the actual CDs for all the songs I have on my iPod, it would probably take up the entire cargo space of the Sorento. :lol: Might have to fold the back seats down even...

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
I remember reading an article in a magazine a few years ago that talked about a new research and development facility that Kia was putting together stricktly for their audio. I remember being pretty impressed because the article said their new facility was more expensive and technical than any other car manufacture in the world. Several years later there is a huge improvement in the factory systems. My Sorento system is stock except for the sub, but I'm still pretty satisfied with it.

This is coming from a guy who owns a vehicle with 5K (parts, not labor) into a sound system built for sound quality. I know my s**t.

·
Registered
116 Posts
id have to agree with kiamech.. the stereo in my sorento..premium stereo..sounds really really good. which it got a tad louder tho. only reason i plan to replace it is so i can get nav and a better ipod hook up.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
8 Posts
My 2005 Kia Sorento LX is bone stock - standard radio and (the brochure says) 8 speakers. I dunno, I can only find 6. Four in the doors and two tweeters in the door frames of the front doors up high.

I love my Sorento - let's get that over with first. But - the stock stereo is awful.

This is just my opinion, but I traded in a 1996 Chevy Lumina sedan with a bone stock AM/FM stereo radio that sounded better. And I am not an audiophile by any means, nor do I listen to the thumpa-thumpa music with the bass shaking my fillings loose. I just like decent (country and alternative rock) music on my radio while I drive along - the occasional CD on a road trip. The Kia stock system is horrible beyond belief.

I am planning to replace the door speakers first - I pulled the cover off the driver's side front door speaker and found a 5 1/4 inch round speaker with a blue cone and three screws in a triangular pattern (never saw that before, usually four screws). I am looking at www.crutchfield.com to see if there is some reasonable replacement for the speakers that sound somewhat better. Hopefully the problem is the speakers and not the head unit. But I'll replace that too if I must.

If I do replace the head unit, I'll be sure the new one has MP3 capability, but other than that, I'm pretty easy. Don't need 10,000 watts or flashing lights or a disco-dancing reverb or whatever.

Any advice? Anyone experience anything similar? Suggestions welcome!

Best,

Wiggy

·
Registered
116 Posts
i kno the speakers.. lots of people get new hu and say it makes the speakers sound great.. and some audio shops said not to change the speakers. but then again i have the double coned speakers.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Ya, the head unit should be switched out. Factory head units don't put out enough watts; usually around the 15W range. My Sorento has an amp, which is why I am happier with mine than you are with yours.

I forget who worked with Kia on the speakers, but I remember it is a name brand company. JBL maybe?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine came with a Sony head unit and 5 inches front spk.
I´ve repalaced with 2way Sony 6,5 inches I had before.
Also put other (HiFi) 6,5 inches pair rear. Great improvment!
IMO To have a decent sound you cant use something less than 6,5 inches in front and 6x9 or round 8 inches back. Try HiFi 4/8 ohms 6 inches drivers!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got an 05 Carnival with 6 speakers and I thought it was a bit crappy...until I read the handbook and found the loudness button! Da!
Now it's not too bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts