Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used 2012 Kia Sorento LX and it came with what I BELIEVE is a remote start key fob. When I presss the blue button however, nothing happens. Is there a trick to make this work, or is it possible I just have the key fob without the remote start functionality? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I can't seem to find anything online about this key...so I'm thinking it may be aftermarket (even though it appears to be an official Kia item)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so I finally found out online how to turn it on. Press lock, then the blue key button to start. That worked, but I have a follow-up question.

After it's started, what do I do to keep the car running? For instance, I remote start the car, but when I actually get in the car (I don't have a push button or anything like that), I can't figure out a way to get the Sorento to stay on. One of the following happens...

- If I stick the key in the ignition and attempt to start it as I normally would, it sets off the panic alarm.

- If I don't put the key in at all and try to start driving, the car will turn off as soon as I put my foot on the brake pedal.

Any help would be appreciated for what I need to do after the point of remote starting. It would be helpful if there were instructions in the manual or online somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. :)

·
Registered
Corolla 1996, Corolla 2009, Soon Sorento
36 Posts
After you start the car using the remote, get in the vehicle, insert the key in the ignition and turn the key to the ON position (not the Start position, meaning that you do not crank the engine). The ON position will allow the engine to keep running and you are good to drive away

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
783 Posts
Not sure if these match your unit. Quick Reference Guide and Owner's Manual.

Let us know how it goes...enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I was able to get it working with your help!

Not bad to buy a used car and find out about an added feature that the dealership didn't even know was on the SUV. If it wasn't for my curiosity about that little blue key icon, I would have never known either.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
583 Posts
Actually, after remote starting my SX and getting in the driver's seat, I make it sure to step on the brake pedal very quickly just to shift to D and then step on the accelerator to drive away - no turning off of the engine :)

I've done it a few times but there are times that even if you drove away, after 5-7 meters away from your parking spot the engine will die and you will hear a dinging sound - means you stepped on the brake pedal too long.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 kia exclaim. I know it remotely starts but I cant remember how to do it? I called the dealer they said to use a small bob I didn't get one. but I know my salesman remotely started with the regular key thing. please help!!!!

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,575 Posts
Welcome
Start a NEW thread........you own a Soul, not a Sorento......
Do you have a pic of your transmitter? We will need to know if it's a factory transmitter or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts