Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure how to turn the DRL led lamps off on my 2011 sx. I want to take this vehicle to the drive in theatre and see movies, but its hot out and want to run the A/C. well, with the car running the DRL are always on and cant find a way to get them off. You cant sit there at night watching a movie in the drive in with lights on. Is there a fuse I can pull or some setting or secret pushing of buttons that can be done?

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
595 Posts
Drive in theatres? Now were are talking history lessons. Might have to explain for some of our younger listeners!
Thing of the past here in Oz. Think there is only 1 left running (part-time) in Adelaide - can't comment on other states. Died out years ago.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
I am trying to figure how to turn the DRL led lamps off on my 2011 sx. I want to take this vehicle to the drive in theatre and see movies, but its hot out and want to run the A/C. well, with the car running the DRL are always on and cant find a way to get them off. You cant sit there at night watching a movie in the drive in with lights on. Is there a fuse I can pull or some setting or secret pushing of buttons that can be done?
where are you located? On the two Canadian KIA's I've owned the DRL's go out with the engine running if you pull/push on the hand/foot brake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
USA model. and no applying the parking brake dosent turn it out. it is a separate led light around the headlamp. not as simple as unplugging them. plus all the dash lights stay on bright so makes interior all lit up at same time. most cars here in the USA you just apply the parking brake and the DRL goes off. not this one.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
wasn't aware you had DRL's in the US, sounds more like a positioning light. Is the light switch off and not in auto mode?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, definitely DRL. All of the US models have LED drl's that surround the regular headlamp. they go off when parking lights are on, but dim when headlamps are on. Called phone number listed in owners manual for talk to a rep from Kia, USELESS! Called dealer and they were useless too, had no idea how to do it, saif that they had never had anyone ever want to turn them off while the car is running. What am I the ONLY person that wants to park in the dark and leave car running and not have lights on on the outside or the dash lights on full bright? GUESS SO. Gonna look for a wiring diagram to see what controls it, suspect that its the BCM and no way I can reprogram that .

·
Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
Some KIAS,not sure about Sportage,if you look into the fuse box under the hood,they have a DRL OFF slot,which is empty. Putting fuse in it will turn off DRLs. Have a look.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
where are you located? On the two Canadian KIA's I've owned the DRL's go out with the engine running if you pull/push on the hand/foot brake.
Not mine. I was just in an underground garage (auto headlight feature turned OFF) and as soon as I started the engine, the DRL LED turned on. On my previous vehicle (2004 Mazda3), the DRL would turn on as soon as I disengaged the hand brake.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
Not mine. I was just in an underground garage (auto headlight feature turned OFF) and as soon as I started the engine, the DRL LED turned on. On my previous vehicle (2004 Mazda3), the DRL would turn on as soon as I disengaged the hand brake.
that's what I said :D

·
Registered
2011 Sportage EX 1.7cc Diesel - Manual transmission
154 Posts
As for the dash you should have a knob were you can lower the its brightness to nearly off i believe. As for DRL they run on a circuit and of course have a fuse and a wire. you can either take the fuse out as you suggested or make an on off switch in the circuit. You can find all detail of these from the manual or from keis as for circuit diagram.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nope, no fuse can be removed, they are LED and directly controlled by the body control module. and you cant turn the dash lights down without first turning ON the park lamps or the head lamps. WHAT A PAIN IN THE ARSE!!!! We went to the drive in last night, I simply unplugged both headlamp harnesses under the hood, so those lights were off, as far as the dash lights and the a/c control panel lights, just stuffed a towel over the area to not have to look at those lights. Watched all 3 movies, over 6 hours worth, no problems what so ever, just a big PITA to open hood, unplug lights and have to plug back in to drive home.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts