Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 optima 2.4
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into a 2004 optima with about 110k on the odo. I know kia timing belts tend to break right at 60k, is it possible this car has made it this long without a timing belt change? How would I be able to tell if it has been serviced? I looked all over for a sticker, or evidence that it had been opened up but I can't see anything.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
You won't be able to tell from the outside. Even looking at the belt, you may not be sure.

I had a belt changed at 100,000km and the one that came off looked as new except for slight polishing of the teeth. -That's if you can call them "teeth" on a synthetic belt.

·
Registered
2002 optima 2.4
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You won't be able to tell from the outside. Even looking at the belt, you may not be sure.

I had a belt changed at 100,000km and the one that came off looked as new except for slight polishing of the teeth. -That's if you can call them "teeth" on a synthetic belt.
I should mention it's 110k miles. Can they last that long?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Timing belts can last 110K miles but I would never chance running one that long.
I've always replaced the rubber band on all my various cars over the years as close to 60K miles as I can.

I just picked up a '05 Optima with 86K miles and I've already got a timing belt on order since I have no idea if it has been done or not.
And since the car will be apart I'm replacing all the drive belts at the same time.
I saw mentioned in another thread about changing the crank position sensor at the same time so I'm going to order one of those, too.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
Have you tried a local KIA dealer with your VIN#...They may be able to pull the service records as an 05 would have had a 10yr/100k mile warranty on the drive train and in order to keep the warranty the belt should have been replaced and on record...
Anyway you are close to the second change (10k miles) and they are not that hard to replace (at least on the 2.7L V6).

·
Registered
2002 optima 2.4
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried a local KIA dealer with your VIN#...They may be able to pull the service records as an 05 would have had a 10yr/100k mile warranty on the drive train and in order to keep the warranty the belt should have been replaced and on record...
Anyway you are close to the second change (10k miles) and they are not that hard to replace (at least on the 2.7L V6).
Yeah I'm almost afraid to do the test drive and take it home.

Good idea, I'll try a dealer, but what if it was serviced at an independent shop?

I'm asking all this because my car got stolen a while ago, so money's tight. I'd like to wait a few thousand miles to have a little cash on hand if I can, otherwise I'm stuck driving another beater with no heater until I can replace the timing belt. I could have it done for $410 at a shop, or I'm looking at $230 for everything from rockauto: A few seals, 2 belts, 3 pulleys, tensioner, CPS, and water pump.

It's a 2.4, are they harder for some reason? I was looking at the timing cover area and it looked pretty tight in there with all these A/C lines in the way. Looks as painful to do as a 93 v6 camry.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
Why not ask them to drop the asking price by the amount it costs to have a mechanic replace the TB, tensioner, and the water pump and use the difference to make the needed repairs... The water pump and tensioner are usually replaced every other TB.
Yes the 2.4L is harder to replace the TB in...There is a belt driven counter balance (internal) that must be in sync with the crank and cams and the working area is tighter.. The 2.7L V6 doesn't have the counter balance.
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts