Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2007 Sorento LX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2007 Kia Sorento last year and it has been great! No problems that I couldn’t easily fix myself. However, I want to replace the front bumper cover because of damage underneath from the previous owner. While researching, apparently there is a difference, (2 different part numbers), how can I tell if I have an EX or LX??

· Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,529 Posts
On my 03 there were the letters LX on the back.
Otherwise, call the dealer with your VIN or look in your owners manual.

· Registered
2007 Sorento LX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On my 03 there were the letters LX on the back.
Otherwise, call the dealer with your VIN or look in your owners manual.
I have checked my owners manual and the stickers on the door...nothing. Did a vin # search and it said, “unavailable”. Never thought to call the dealer, I’ll try that, Thanks!

· Registered
'08 Sorento, '22 BRZ, '90 Vortech SCed TransAm, '03 VF-34 WRX, '97 Del Sol SI
159 Posts
2008 Sorento sales brochure shows LX came with 3.3L engine and EX came with the 3.8L. 2007 was probably the same.

· Registered
2007 Sorento LX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2008 Sorento sales brochure shows LX came with 3.3L engine and EX came with the 3.8L. 2007 was probably the same.
No luck with the local dealer. Kia/98 that is where I am confused, I have the 3.8L engine which would indicate I have an EX. However, my tire size is 245-65R17 which states It is a LX Sport, (the LX and EX are 16”). There are no emblems on the outside of the car or on the drivers door panel to specify the trim level.
So still unsure if I need the bumper cover with or without flares??

· Registered
159 Posts
Hanyes manual says the 8th digit of the VIN is the engine code.

Number "5" in that position indicates 3.3L DOHC V6 for model years 2008-2009 (i know you said yours is a 2007).

Number "6" indicates 3.8L DOHC V6 2007-2009.

What is your engine code?

· Registered
2008 SORENTO EX
186 Posts
Well, no...the 3.8L first came out in 2007 and all 2007's had that engine. In 2008, the smaller 3.3L came out and was the base engine (LX) and 3.8L being the optional engine for the LX and standard engine for the EX.

The wheel size for the LX/EX in 2008 is 16in...but the LX had a special package that had 17in wheel as an option which was not available on the EX (at least from the factory). So, if the OP's 2008 has the OEM wheels and if they are 17in...then he has an LX most likely.

But yeah I would check the VIN and also check the door jam stickers on the driver side...may have some info...at least it will tell you which wheel size came with the vehicle.

· Registered
2008 SORENTO EX
186 Posts
Just thinking...not sure why the LX and EX have different part numbers??? As far as I can tell, the only difference is the fog lights. EX models had fog lights whereas the LX did not (had a cover cap molded to the bumper), but were optional.

· Registered
159 Posts
My '08 is an LX with the sport package with 17" wheels, fogs, side step bars, rear spoiler, black cloth/interior trim, and leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob.

· Registered
2007 Sorento LX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hanyes manual says the 8th digit of the VIN is the engine code.

Number "5" in that position indicates 3.3L DOHC V6 for model years 2008-2009 (i know you said yours is a 2007).

Number "6" indicates 3.8L DOHC V6 2007-2009.

What is your engine code?
It is a “6” and yes the engine cover says 3.8L DOHC V6.

· Registered
2007 Sorento LX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My '08 is an LX with the sport package with 17" wheels, fogs, side step bars, rear spoiler, black cloth/interior trim, and leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob.
I have every thing you listed above on my ‘07 except the rear spoiler. That would explain the 17” tires.

· Registered
2007 Sorento LX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just thinking...not sure why the LX and EX have different part numbers??? As far as I can tell, the only difference is the fog lights. EX models had fog lights whereas the LX did not (had a cover cap molded to the bumper), but were optional.
Swampdodo, Hold on, I’ll post pics of the available bumpers with the part numbers to show you what I am referring to.

· Registered
2007 Sorento LX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Swampdodo, Hold on, I’ll post pics of the available bumpers with the part numbers to show you what I am referring to.
At Kiapartsnow.com, I entered my vin #, (still no EX or LX designation) and the photos show the 2 different bumper covers. The only difference I can see is #511 has GARNISH-SIDE NARROW TYPE. What is that referring to?
However, the vin states, “produced before Sept 2006”. Both of the above bumpers have production date 6/2006-9/2006 fitment.
Still confused???

· Registered
2008 SORENTO EX
186 Posts
Well you can't trust the picture provided by the parts supplier...sometimes they are wrong.

Anyway, what this might be...and I could be wrong on this, but I've heard that Kia may have used bumper covers from the 1st gen Sorentos (from '06) and some of the very first 1.5 gen (2007) Sorentos. Somewhere down the line of the '07 models they switched over to the new bumper style (07 - 09).

There should be a sticker on the driver side door jam (if still there) indicating when the vehicle was build. I would look there.

You would call this a 'mid year' change. Kia did it again during the '08 model year, I believe, with the oil filters on the 3.8L engine...I have to be careful to get the right oil filter for my vehicle (production date specific).

I swear Kia is sometimes worst than then old Jeep Cherokees (XJ)...they had mid year changes all the time...one model year had a mix of SAE and metric fastners.

· Diesel Pro
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
2,294 Posts
Therein lies another issue. It was around that time (introduction of Facelift) that US models started to be built in the new US plant. So, I suspect there could be some built in Korea, some built in US from All-Korean supplied parts and some built in US from Korean and US supplied parts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.