Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sorento EX
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How I graduated college and ran a successful business for 30 years is amazing when you consider I cannot figure out how to set (or even find) the tripmeter on my '14 Sorento. The owners manual tells me what it is and what it does, but just not how to access the function. I scrolled through all the features, from Power Off (what is that?) to Service In to User Settings, no where is tripmeter. I would appreciate some HELP!! Thank You

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
How I graduated college and ran a successful business for 30 years is amazing when you consider I cannot figure out how to set (or even find) the tripmeter on my '14 Sorento. The owners manual tells me what it is and what it does, but just not how to access the function. I scrolled through all the features, from Power Off (what is that?) to Service In to User Settings, no where is tripmeter. I would appreciate some HELP!! Thank You
On my EX, you press and hold the triangle symbol button (lower right part of the steering wheel. Just pressing it, cycles you through the menu. But you have to be on the page that displays the mpg to reset it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I assume you're aware of the little symbols at the top for the different "screens"...car=trip/mpg, music note=music selection, arrow=nav/compass, exclamation point=service minder, gear=user settings. When you're on the music screen, if the radio is off, that's when you see "power off"....try hitting your volume knob to turn the radio on. (when it's already on, pushing it only mutes it. push and hold to turn it completely off)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Of the 2 buttons on the bottom right of your steering wheel, the top one cycles through the screens, the bottom one (triangle) goes to the next page on that screen (if available) ie-trip A, trip B, MPG on the "car" screen. The music and arrow screens only have one page.

Hope this answers all your questions.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento EX
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On my EX, you press and hold the triangle symbol button (lower right part of the steering wheel. Just pressing it, cycles you through the menu. But you have to be on the page that displays the mpg to reset it.
If I press and hold the triangle symbol button it just brings up the next screen which is "Power Off". I have no idea what that means and there is no reference to it in the owners manual. Do you know what that is?

·
Registered
2014 Sorento EX
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Of the 2 buttons on the bottom right of your steering wheel, the top one cycles through the screens, the bottom one (triangle) goes to the next page on that screen (if available) ie-trip A, trip B, MPG on the "car" screen. The music and arrow screens only have one page.

Hope this answers all your questions.
THANK YOU..That answers my question. Would it have really killed KIA to have put that information in the Owners Manual? Now...what does "Power Off" mean?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Don't worry, I've seen highly-qualified academics almost brought to tears by menu systems. The aim of the designer seems to be to control as many functions as possible with the least number of buttons. I like dedicated tripA/tripB buttons as seen on base-model cars, where you can set to zero on the fly without delving into menus. Some older drivers find even these simple controls difficult to operate, not being used to the "push and hold" requirement.

I sympathise with your confusion about "Power Off". It could mean an alert that the "Power is Off" (yes, but what aspect of the power?), or it might be a function to actually turn off the power (to something?). It seems that it was the former.

Unless it's a vital function, I usually discover the options "in service". I actually enjoy puzzling out this sort of thing. -Comes from years of experience wrangling computer equipment and other appliances. Went to a motel once that had a 2-page set of instructions to operate the AC. -WTF?

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
Don't worry, I've seen highly-qualified academics almost brought to tears by menu systems. The aim of the designer seems to be to control as many functions as possible with the least number of buttons. I like dedicated tripA/tripB buttons as seen on base-model cars, where you can set to zero on the fly without delving into menus. Some older drivers find even these simple controls difficult to operate, not being used to the "push and hold" requirement.

I sympathise with your confusion about "Power Off". It could mean an alert that the "Power is Off" (yes, but what aspect of the power?), or it might be a function to actually turn off the power (to something?). It seems that it was the former.

Unless it's a vital function, I usually discover the options "in service". I actually enjoy puzzling out this sort of thing. -Comes from years of experience wrangling computer equipment and other appliances. Went to a motel once that had a 2-page set of instructions to operate the AC. -WTF?
For sure, it seems that car manufacturers have forgotten the cardinal rule. Keep it simple, stupid. Oh yeah, and if it's not broken, don't fix it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts